The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Christain Geek Meetup?

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Christain Geek Meetup?

Post  cleireac on April 20th 2013, 3:11 pm

One of the reasons I asked the question about open-source video conferenceing software that could handle more than a small handful of users was because I had thought about setting up a virtual meetup or convention for Christian geeks.

Over at my Geekklesia Facebook page, Ben Avery and I kicked some ideas around for a similar event, but we never firmed anything up.

So, still brainstorming, I was wondering if anybody here 1) had any interest in such a gathering/meeting and 2) if anyone had any ideas of the best way(s) to pull something like this off

Activity : 794
    Geek-Cred : 12

Re: Christain Geek Meetup?

Post  WhiteBoy on April 21st 2013, 10:46 pm

It's not open source, but Google Hangouts seem to be pretty popular for stuff like this, especially if the numbers are 10 or less. If the numbers are larger than that, I'm pretty sure it turns into a streaming YouTube channel. I don't really know the details on that personally; all I have done is normal Google Hangouts.

You could see an example with a podcast that I listen to that is produced for my The Old Republic guild - You can see that the hosts of the podcast are displayed in the normal Google Hangout format, and everyone else can watch it live streamed. It's obviously recorded to be added to the YouTube channel for those who miss the live stream.

Edit: I noticed in the previous post that you'd already mentioned Google Hangouts, but it does handle more than 9-10 users now. So maybe it's worth checking out again.

Current date/time is October 24th 2016, 4:49 pm