The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Share

    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

    Posts : 653
    Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  Hackmodford on July 21st 2010, 5:00 pm

    I thought this was very interesting...
    http://www.ted.com/talks/naif_al_mutawa_superheroes_inspired_by_islam.html


    _________________
    Click to Listen



    Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

    vagabond

    Posts : 36
    Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2010-07-24
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  vagabond on July 24th 2010, 4:08 pm

    Very interesting. I don’t know too much about comic books; Do a lot of the origin stories really show obvious influence from the Bible as he asserts? I wonder if DC would be as willing to do this sort of a cross-over with a franchise that was consciously Christian today.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3486
    Activity : 5022
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  Paeter on July 26th 2010, 6:42 pm

    vagabond wrote:Very interesting. I don’t know too much about comic books; Do a lot of the origin stories really show obvious influence from the Bible as he asserts? I wonder if DC would be as willing to do this sort of a cross-over with a franchise that was consciously Christian today.

    Can't speak in broad terms, but I know Superman was inspired by the story of Moses. Basket = rocket. Nile= space. Egyptians killing babies= Krypton exploding, etc.

    In modern hands he's become a Christ figure. Especially since his "death" and resurrection.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    vagabond

    Posts : 36
    Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2010-07-24
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  vagabond on July 28th 2010, 8:23 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    Can't speak in broad terms, but I know Superman was inspired by the story of Moses. Basket = rocket. Nile= space. Egyptians killing babies= Krypton exploding, etc.

    In modern hands he's become a Christ figure. Especially since his "death" and resurrection.

    Awesome. Superman: Doomsday is in my netflix queue.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3486
    Activity : 5022
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  Paeter on July 29th 2010, 11:31 am

    vagabond wrote:
    Paeter wrote:
    Can't speak in broad terms, but I know Superman was inspired by the story of Moses. Basket = rocket. Nile= space. Egyptians killing babies= Krypton exploding, etc.

    In modern hands he's become a Christ figure. Especially since his "death" and resurrection.

    Awesome. Superman: Doomsday is in my netflix queue.

    If you haven't seen it yet, be forewarned that it severely departs from the comic book story. I own it but didn't care for it so much. (Though lately I've been thinking of giving it another try.) But the documentary that comes with it is worth the full purchase price! It's all about what went on behind the scenes at DC comics that brought about the Death of Superman story in the 90's. Great stuff!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    vagabond

    Posts : 36
    Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2010-07-24
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  vagabond on July 30th 2010, 8:39 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    If you haven't seen it yet, be forewarned that it severely departs from the comic book story. I own it but didn't care for it so much. (Though lately I've been thinking of giving it another try.) But the documentary that comes with it is worth the full purchase price! It's all about what went on behind the scenes at DC comics that brought about the Death of Superman story in the 90's. Great stuff!

    I haven't read the comic book story, so that shouldn't bother me too much, unless it should have been much cooler than it was. I won't get to see the cool documentary because I'm going to be viewing it streaming on netflix instead of getting the DVD sent to me. Sounds interesting though

    Sponsored content

    Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:50 pm


      Current date/time is December 5th 2016, 7:50 pm