The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

S&A Summer Movie Series SPOOKY Coinicidence! 5 5 1

S&A Summer Movie Series SPOOKY Coinicidence!

BenAvery

Activity: 315
    Geek-Cred: 16

S&A Summer Movie Series SPOOKY Coinicidence!

Post  BenAvery on July 23rd 2013, 12:43 pm

Throughout the summer, Strangers and Aliens has been putting out some special episodes talking about the big blockbusters (and in the case of a couple of these, the blockFAILURES) this summer.

We have covered After Earth, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 -- all the ones we were excited about (and a few we weren't).

Here is a link to all our Summer Movie Series episodes:

http://strangersandaliens.com/category/podcast/summer-movie-series/

But I found myself with a song stuck in my head recently, and so I made this:

How did Jim Croce know? I can only imagine that he DID put time in a bottle, use it to come to the future, watch movies, return to 1972, and then write a song encoded with the information from the future!

It's like a folk music pop culture Da Vinci Code!

DNArington

Activity: 711
    Geek-Cred: 27

Re: S&A Summer Movie Series SPOOKY Coinicidence!

Post  DNArington on July 23rd 2013, 6:52 pm

Wow! How did he know? lol! I love that song!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity: 3410
    Geek-Cred: 39

Post  Paeter on July 24th 2013, 5:55 pm

Nice! Heard bad things about Pacific Rim (Like Transformers but a little better. yay.), but skipped it myself for now. Lone Ranger will be a rental for me. Hope it's good! Loved Supes and Trek!

www.spiritblade.net

Rickster

Activity: 1326
    Geek-Cred: 14

Post  Rickster on July 24th 2013, 10:57 pm

i don't get the "spit in the wind" part

Drew.Rub

Activity: 553
    Geek-Cred: 18

Post  Drew.Rub on July 25th 2013, 7:05 am

Paeter wrote:Nice! Heard bad things about Pacific Rim (Like Transformers but a little better. yay.), but skipped it myself for now.

Wish I could find the link, but someone did a post on why Pacific Rim is a visually intelligent movie.  His girlfriend/wife made a great case for the visual intelligence, as she suffers from a condition that prevents her from grasping textual/spoken language nuances (innuendo, humor, etc).  But visually interpreting the movie, she caught a lot of things that most people over look.

One criticism is that Mako is a very weak and under-developed character due to a lack of dialogue.  But this woman countered that and explained why she's such a strong character based on the visuals that were presented in the movie.

While the post has some unnecessary language in it, it was a very interesting and compelling review of the movie.  I am more stoked to see it now and watch it with a visually critical eye.

45shiro45

Activity: 45
    Geek-Cred: 2

Post  45shiro45 on July 27th 2013, 12:26 am

Paeter wrote:Nice! Heard bad things about Pacific Rim (Like Transformers but a little better. yay.), but skipped it myself for now.

Ugh... Hearing this kind of thing drives me crazy...

Now granted, I was raised on Gamera, Godzilla, Ultraman, Voltron, Mazinger (Tranzor Z), pretty much all the kaiju movies and "super-robot" anime series of the '70s and early '80s, but seriously, "like Transformers"?!? Shocked  Yeah, they both had robots-- end similarities... Grr... Evil or Very Mad 

If giant monsters and giant robots aren't your thing AT ALL, then yeah, skip it. But you know what? That's what the vast majority of people who LOVE Iron Man would have said. They made an updated, modern super-hero story for an updated, modern audience, and everybody ate it up with a spoon... Del Toro has done the same for the BOTH of these genres he's fused. It is an EXCELLENT movie.

I'll also confess, I don't understand people saying how it's so short on character development. Rolling Eyes  I got Raleigh, I went with him. I LOVED Mako, the penultimate female Japanese pilot. I loved her. The supporting cast were all wonderful. Unlike my experience seeing Star Trek (which I thought was great), I didn't roll my eyes once... Was it short on character development in comparison with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Yeah. Was it short on that for a Kaiju/giant robot movie? NOT AT ALL... This is the genre film he made. Deal with it. Del Toro was in top form...

Unless you HATE anime/giant robots/giant monsters, or Japanese-influenced sci-fi in general, any geek worth his/her salt NEEDS to see this on the big screen. An outstanding experience. cheers

Current date/time is July 22nd 2014, 12:34 pm