The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    August is Beowulf Month!

    Share

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Nathan James Norman on July 30th 2013, 10:07 pm

    While we're waiting for the official launch of the Christian Geek Central Network . . .

    I hereby declare August to be Beowulf Month! (Full post here: http://www.nathanjamesnorman.com/5/post/2013/07/beowulf-month.html)

    All things Beowulf are to be celebrated!

    Beginning with the original epic poem, we'll move into books, films, graphic novels, toys and other sundries inspired by Beowulf!

    How can you get involved? How can you beholden such a wonderful month? Why . . . right here of course! All throughout the month of August I will post thoughts and comments on Beowulf-related materials!

    Not good enough?! Okay! You are invited to blog, tweet, facebook, tumbl, or create memes. Contact me and I'll post a link to your thoughts!

    So start reading the original poem! You can find plenty of free versions on the Kindle, Nook, or on the Web. For my money, I prefer the Seamus Heaney version.

    In addition to the original poem I plan on also enjoying:

       Beowulf (1999) starring Christopher Lambert
       The 13th Warrior (1999) based on the Michael Crichton novel
       Beowulf & Grendel (2005) starring Gerard Butler
       Beowulf (2007) by Benjamin Bagby with an Anglo-Saxon harp
       Beowulf (2007) computer animated film directed by Robert Zemeckis
       Outlander (2008) a science fiction film starring James Caviezel
       Grendel (1971) Novel from Grendel's point of view  by John Gardner
       Beowulf  Graphic Novel by Gareth Hinds
       Beowulf: Gods and Monsters comic series by Brian Augustyn
       Beowulf Graphic Novel by Stefan Petrucha
       Beowulf the Video Game (UBI Soft)
       Beowulf the Board Game
       Beowulf the Movie Board Game

    Recommendations also appreciated!

    Who's in?

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Drew.Rub on July 31st 2013, 11:55 am

    Nathan James Norman wrote:In addition to the original poem I plan on also enjoying:

       Beowulf (1999) starring Christopher Lambert

    How? This seems like an impossibility to me.

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Nathan James Norman on July 31st 2013, 12:35 pm

    Drew.Rub wrote:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:In addition to the original poem I plan on also enjoying:

       Beowulf (1999) starring Christopher Lambert

    How?  This seems like an impossibility to me.

    Haha! Well played Drew! "Enjoy" may have been too strong of a word for that particular "adaptation". Perhaps I should have put a footnote next to it and written: "Enjoy mocking, ridiculing and criticizing it."

    But it can't possibly be as bad as I remember it . . . can it? Can it?

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Drew.Rub on July 31st 2013, 2:49 pm

    Nathan James Norman wrote:
    Drew.Rub wrote:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:In addition to the original poem I plan on also enjoying:

       Beowulf (1999) starring Christopher Lambert

    How?  This seems like an impossibility to me.

    Haha! Well played Drew! "Enjoy" may have been too strong of a word for that particular "adaptation". Perhaps I should have put a footnote next to it and written: "Enjoy mocking, ridiculing and criticizing it."

    But it can't possibly be as bad as I remember it . . . can it? Can it?

    You're right. It's not as bad as you remember it. Time dulls the memory and senses. It's even worse than you remember.

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Nathan James Norman on July 31st 2013, 9:14 pm



    You're right. It's not as bad as you remember it.  Time dulls the memory and senses.  It's even worse than you remember.
    You my friend, just earned a +1 Geek Cred!

    Dreamerhorwitz

    Posts : 66
    Activity : 76
    Geek-Cred : 4
    Join date : 2012-09-03
    Age : 27

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Dreamerhorwitz on July 31st 2013, 10:28 pm

    Shocked  Not only do you have a section on the forum, but you're planning a theme month for Beowulf?

    Also:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:
    "Enjoy" may have been too strong of a word for that particular "adaptation".
    It's easy. Just watch out for the giant razor and the loud sound effects. Ouch.

    ... I'm I missing anything?

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Nathan James Norman on August 1st 2013, 8:32 am

    Dreamerhorwitz wrote:Shocked  Not only do you have a section on the forum, but you're planning a theme month for Beowulf?
    Yes indeed! Are ya in?


    Dreamerhorwitz wrote:
    Also:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:
    "Enjoy" may have been too strong of a word for that particular "adaptation".
    It's easy. Just watch out for the giant razor and the loud sound effects. Ouch.

    ... I'm I missing anything?
    This is going to be a painful one to watch, isn't it?

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Paeter on August 1st 2013, 11:48 am

    I've never read the poem, though I understand it's the genesis for all "man faces off against horrible monster" fiction. What is your particular draw to Beowul, Nathan? Give us "the Beowulf pitch"!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Nathan James Norman on August 1st 2013, 5:20 pm

    Paeter wrote:I've never read the poem, though I understand it's the genesis for all "man faces off against horrible monster" fiction. What is your particular draw to Beowul, Nathan? Give us "the Beowulf pitch"!

    Glad you asked! (I also posted this over at my blog.)


    Beowulf Month: Why Beowulf is Awesome!



    So, you’re intrigued in this whole Beowulf Month thing, but you’re not ready to dive in.

    Here’s why you should read the poem and participate in the month:

       
    1.Beowulf is Awesome
    2.No Less than Three Epic Fights
    3. Monsters
    4. Demons
    5. Sea Creatures
    6. Gold/Treasure
    7. Magic
    8. Heavy Christian Imagery/Themes
    9. Judeo-Christian Language Throughout
    10. Heroic AND Tragic
    11. Dark Fantasy
    12. A Short Read (4-5 hours tops)
    13. Plenty of Free Versions Available
    14. Tensions Between Christianity and Pagan cultures in Beowulf are relevant today!
    15. The “Big Idea” of the poem is exactly where we are today!
    16. Reading it is fun!
    17. Reading it counts as literature!


    I know there’s more reasons. Help me out Beowulf fans (or should I say aficionados?). Why should someone read Beowulf?

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Drew.Rub on August 1st 2013, 5:24 pm

    Nathan James Norman wrote:


    You're right. It's not as bad as you remember it.  Time dulls the memory and senses.  It's even worse than you remember.
    You my friend, just earned a +1 Geek Cred!

    Thank you. I'm so honored to receive what I think is my first geek credit here at CGC.cheers 

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Drew.Rub on August 1st 2013, 5:26 pm

    Nathan James Norman wrote: Why should someone read Beowulf?

    1) Your college lit professor said it's part of the semester syllabus.
    2) *still thinking of more reasons*

    Actually, it is a good read. Been too long since I read it, so I should probably go and re-read it (listen to audio version?) myself.

    Sponsored content

    Re: August is Beowulf Month!

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 am


      Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 7:29 am