The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Do you consider the previews part of the movie?

Rohelf

Activity : 104
    Geek-Cred : 0

Do you consider the previews part of the movie?

Post  Rohelf on August 7th 2013, 1:38 pm

Matt and I saw The Wolverine last night (overall we enjoyed it), and we had an odd experience with a man sitting in front of us.  During the previews, he demanded to know whether we were going to chat through the whole movie.  This really caught me off guard, since in my experience, chatting throught the ads is normal.  I was always taught that the signal to be quiet was the house lights going down and the film logos coming up on the screen.  I always considered the previews and the various other promotions that play before the movie proper to be just like any other commercials- maybe one or two are worth enjoying, but overall they're the annoying part you have to put up with before you get what you paid to see.  Matt and I generally chat throught the pre-show stuff, often riffing on the cliches, but only at normal conversational volume, and no one has ever gotten on us about it before- especially since in my experience, plenty of people are talking about one thing or another until the actual movie kicks on.  But this guy seemed pretty annoyed with us, like we'd already done something wrong.  We decided to just move away from him and sit somewhere else because he already seemed like he was spoiling for a confrontation and I was a bit worried he might go off if we so much as laughed at a funny line (he was a big guy, and he had this very alpha-dog "gonna cow me some nerds" stance when he stood up to complain at us), but I keep wondering if there was anything to his objection, rudely delivered though it might have been.  Do people really expect quiet during the pre-movie stuff, or did this guy just have unrealistic expectations and/or a chip on his shoulder?

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Re: Do you consider the previews part of the movie?

Post  Drew.Rub on August 7th 2013, 3:15 pm

Rohelf wrote: or did this guy just have unrealistic expectations and/or a chip on his shoulder?

I think he was being a jerk looking for an argument. In my mind, if I really want to listen to a preview, I'll do so, no matter who's talking around me. But that's for about 2-4 minutes, so it's a short focus time. Harder to do for a full length movie. So yes, when the lights go down, I expect people to hush then.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on August 7th 2013, 3:37 pm

I'll echo that this guy sounds like he's got his priorities screwed up and that you were mistreated.

As for your question, it depends on what you mean by "previews". Our theaters play commercials for products and music albums, sometimes even tv shows, and also do trivia stuff. All at a lower volume level than the movie itself. Then the lights come down and the movie trailers begin at movie volume. It is at this point that I like people to stop talking so I can focus on the movie trailers. (Some do quiet down, some don't.) But if the lights didn't come down for the trailers I don't think I would even have that expectation of others. I'd be bummed though. Trailers, in their big-screen, surround sound glory, are part of the movie experience for me.

www.spiritblade.com

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on August 8th 2013, 4:56 pm

You could always refer to The Moviegoers Code of Conduct, by BBC film reviewers Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo. Although it does mention being quiet during the movie, it says nothing about the previews, so yap away alien 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:54 am

Current date/time is December 8th 2016, 6:54 am