The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Possible Major Life Change

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5022
    Geek-Cred : 50

Possible Major Life Change

Post  Paeter on August 8th 2013, 9:37 pm

Holly and I had lunch today and put our entire work situation on the table to re-examine again fresh from the ground up for the first time in about 5 years.

As you might know, I substitute teach 60 days each school year to help round out our family finances. Spirit Blade Productions is able to pay for some of its own expenses at this point(Thank you Insiders and Customers!!), but not all of them. And it certainly isn't a source of income for us.

As I tend to be an out of the box thinker, I put a somewhat wild idea on the table, thinking she would hate it. The idea being that I would fully embrace the role of "Mr. Mom" five days a week, allowing her to work during the day every day, while I do my work for Spirit Blade Productions beginning at 4pm or so every day.

I hate working nights, but have found on the two days each week that I normally watch the boys during this time-frame that I can leverage my time well enough to get some work done during the day while watching our boys so that I can justify ending my work day around 7:30 or 8pm each night. That gives me around 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours of completely focused and undistracted work time, which I typically use for a little study and then largely creative endeavors. And this is typically what I manage on my best days anyway.

If we go this route, Holly will work two extra hours each week, all year long. I will also take on more responsibilities for running the household... and completely stop substitute teaching. Something I've wanted to do for years but had always hoped it would happen because of SBP's income. The timing isn't right for that to be the case, but to my surprise Holly was open to this idea.

We're still working out details and it will require some significant stretching and growth on my part. But in the end we both think the pros outweigh the cons. Still, we want to experiment with a trial run for one semester before committing long term. For that to happen, we need the approval of her supervisor for more hours (which already sounds likely to happen). It would also be nice to know that, if we decide to stick with the old routine, my name will not be dropped down in priority in the automated sub selection system our school district uses to employ subs. (The system calls you more often the more jobs you accept.) So I'm checking with the sub office supervisor to see about what that scenario might look like.

All this yapping to say that we could use some prayer as we navigate this possibility. It looks like it could be very good for both of us, our family and Spirit Blade Productions. (It might significantly increase my progression on "A World Of Shadows"!) But we want to be on Yahweh's agenda.

So if you think of it, please pray that God will give us clear resolution to this quickly and that we'll be at peace and confident in Yahweh no matter the outcome.

Thanks,

Paeter

www.spiritblade.com

DNArington

Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28

Re: Possible Major Life Change

Post  DNArington on August 9th 2013, 9:16 am

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
    do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
    - Psalm 37: 3-9

God Bless in your decision making.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 9th 2013, 5:59 pm

Thanks so much, DNArington, and anyone who may have started praying about this for us. I give an update in the show this weekend. Just posted that episode a few minutes ago. Thank you!

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 14th 2013, 6:11 pm

For those who haven't heard yet, we are moving forward with a trial run of this scenario from now through December. Both our employers were immediately and positively responsive toward the idea, so we still have a safety net to go back to the old schedule if need be.

We're both excited about the possibilities, but could use prayer for wisdom, patience, and grace for each other.

Thanks so much!

www.spiritblade.com

Tim

Activity : 248
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim on August 15th 2013, 10:34 pm

Definitely praying for you and your family, Paeter. I'm also praying for increased wisdom in handling the decisions ahead. I'm confident that God will provide all of your needs.

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 16th 2013, 7:08 pm

Thank you, Tim. I'm grateful.