The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

Post  Paeter on October 2nd 2013, 1:34 pm

I'm fixin to watch the new episode this afternoon online. But since a number of you have told me of mixed feelings regarding the pilot I'm curious if the second episode (or 1st if the pilot doesn't count) changed your opinion at all? I thought Ben made some good points about the function of a pilot verses a typical episode, so in light of that I will give it at least one or two more episodes to grab me. What do YOU think?

www.spiritblade.com

Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 76
    Geek-Cred : 4

Re: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

Post  Dreamerhorwitz on October 2nd 2013, 3:15 pm

I actually like it, although this is the second piece of alien tech that uses radiation and we're already diving to deep into the world after two visits.

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on October 2nd 2013, 8:01 pm

I liked the second episode more than the first. This one still felt a bit pilotish to me, but like Ben said in the other thread they only had a 1 hour (42 minute) pilot, so I'm a bit more forgiving. Either way, I'm looking forward to this show.

I think at a minimum it'll be a fun hour of TV that I will be able to talk about with kids at youth group and what not.

vagabond

Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  vagabond on October 3rd 2013, 4:58 am

I've enjoyed the humor so far and thought the ending of the 2nd episode was great; I'm willing to try a third episode. Does anyone else feel like some of the agents should be a little older though, or is it just me?

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on October 3rd 2013, 9:58 am

vagabond wrote:Does anyone else feel like some of the agents should be a little older though, or is it just me?
    Not older, just less....socially inept, in the case of the two genius techies. They're playing up the stereotypical uber-nerds with these two, and their kind of off-putting. The "problem solver" guy is still a little too one-dimensional for me. I really hope they don't go the uninspired romance route with him and Skye. Ming-Na's character is still my favorite, only because I think she's the coolest sheb-kicker in the universe, and I love the bus she drives. Smile Of course, there's Coulson, who is always great.

Nice cameo at the end of the episode. I almost felt it would have been more in keeping with MCU if they could have managed to drop it at the END of the credits, but I'll take it.

vagabond

Post  vagabond on October 4th 2013, 5:03 am

Drew.Rub wrote:
    Not older, just less....socially inept, in the case of the two genius techies.  They're playing up the stereotypical uber-nerds with these two, and their kind of off-putting.  
    Yeah, those were certainly the two I was thinking of, so maybe that's more of what it was.  I do think an older rocket scientist is more believable than one that young, but then this is Marvel, where young super geniuses are always running amok and doing impossible stuff. It could also be that I'm just getting older and don't like these super smart 23 year old whipper-snappers as much as I might once have, lol.

Drew.Rub wrote:
    Nice cameo at the end of the episode. I almost felt it would have been more in keeping with MCU if they could have managed to drop it at the END of the credits, but I'll take it.
    LOL that would have been a clever touch! Has that ever been done in TV? The cameo was my favorite part of the episode tbh.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on October 7th 2013, 11:35 am

tmorrill wrote:This one still felt a bit pilotish to me, but like Ben said in the other thread they only had a 1 hour (42 minute) pilot, so I'm a bit more forgiving.
    I think I've reached my cutoff point until I hear word from someone that the show has significantly changed. Many shows that find ultimate success have first seasons in which they are still figuring out what kind of show they are going to be. If this is who the show wants to be, it's unfortunately not going to make it into my crammed schedule. But if they "find themselves" over the course of this season and have a reportedly better second half or better second season, I'll probably give it another shot.

It's interesting to see how many people, myself included, got their hopes up for this show. But really what were those hopes based on?

In my case, I thought they were based on six consistently fantastic movies. With that kind of track record, how could the show not be awesome? But I realized my memory is playing tricks on me. Iron Man 1 was amazing, 2 was great but not as good, and so was 3. The Incredible Hulk was "very good" and so was Thor. Captain America was "great" and The Avengers was spectacular, made even more so by its groundbreaking "shared universe" element. But in all six of these movies, only two were exceptional to me (Iron Man 1 and The Avengers). The rest were very good, but so are lots of sci-fi action movies.

I think the fact that these movies consistently avoided being bad (unusual for superhero flicks) and also hit their peak with the last one or two movies (Avengers and Iron Man 3) caused me to remember the "great but not spectacular" Marvel movies as being better than they really were, which fueled my sense of expectation for the tv show.

In the end, SHIELD is a good show, just like all of the Marvel movies were good at the very least. It just didn't hit that spectacular level of relative quality that I wanted after the last couple of Marvel movies. Right now it's good but a bit bumpy, like "The Incredible Hulk". But maybe in a year or two it will be more like Iron Man 1.

Here's hoping!

www.spiritblade.com

cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac on October 8th 2013, 9:57 pm

This should have posted yesterday, before tonight's episode:

http://geekklesia.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-hands-head-and-heart-of-marvel.html

What I saw of tonight's episode doesn't lead me to believe that I'm far off.

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on October 10th 2013, 7:08 pm

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for a few more episodes. So far, it's... nice but bothing more. Empty bit of entertainment.
    I agree with vagabond about the ages of the team members, although it could also be a question of maturity - or the lack thereof. Which I find just on the right side of annoying, but only just.
    I guess this is one of many shows that is really aimed at a younger audience, like teenagers or young adults. Pity.

As far as the cameo is concerned: I really loved the idea and the intent of the creators, but its execution... I'm sorry, but that was a terrible piece of acting, phoned in by Mr. Famous Actor. Big boo.

All in all I'm enjoying Person of Interest (S03) and the 6th season of The Mentalist more, and I'm really looking forward to the new season of Arrow.

Drew.Rub

Post  Drew.Rub on October 11th 2013, 6:31 am

ComiKate wrote:So far, it's... nice but bothing more. Empty bit of entertainment.
    Since my only other option at that time frame is NCIS, and I'm half a season behind on that, this is making for good filler for me on Tuesday nights. Smile But I agree it's more empty entertainment at the moment than "galacticly amazing!" entertainment.

ComiKate wrote:As far as the cameo is concerned: I really loved the idea and the intent of the creators, but its execution... I'm sorry, but that was a terrible piece of acting, phoned in by Mr. Famous Actor. Big boo.
    Yeah, not his best bit, not that I reflect on it.

ComiKate wrote:and I'm really looking forward to the new season of Arrow.
    Season opener was nice. Finally getting away from him being called "The Hood". Hated that.

Drew.Rub

Post  Drew.Rub on October 11th 2013, 6:40 am

vagabond wrote:Does anyone else feel like some of the agents should be a little older though, or is it just me?
    I recently listened to Paeter's reasoning for dropping DCs comics, and one of his points was that the universe was rewritten with basically everyone over the age of 40 being killed off and replaced by younger version (okay, that's a bit of a paraphrase).

Then I remembered shows like CW's "Arrow" and "Tomorrow People", and ABC's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D", where out hero's are once again young characters. Even in the DC cinematic Universe and Marvel Cinematic Universe (thinking specifically X-Men: First Class here), it seems there's a trend to start a franchise with young actors portraying (to paraphrase a good friend) "90210" characters (see Smallville).

My question is, does this trend to "re-start" our known heroes (who usually have an established history in comics and are sometimes older characters) ruin the experience for you? Paeter, in his latest blog/podcast, mentioned something about losing the wisdom older characters can provide to younger characters. In the case of Arrow and TP (while not a DC show, it falls into the same category), none of the heroes benefit from the wisdom and experience of veteran good guys. So we end up seeing nothing more than version of the same "growing up" story.

vagabond

Post  vagabond on October 14th 2013, 12:05 am

Drew.Rub wrote:
    My question is, does this trend to "re-start" our known heroes (who usually have an established history in comics and are sometimes older characters) ruin the experience for you?  Paeter, in his latest blog/podcast, mentioned something about losing the wisdom older characters can provide to younger characters.  In the case of Arrow and TP (while not a DC show, it falls into the same category), none of the heroes benefit from the wisdom and experience of veteran good guys.  So we end up seeing nothing more than version of the same "growing up" story.
    I wouldn't say it ruins the experience, but I'd agree it does lessen the potential for a broader range of characters and stories unnecessarily. For example what does getting old look like for someone who is a superhero, how does having their abilities beginning to dull and the burden of a lifetime of choices they've had to make begin to affect them?  Limiting the creative palette of a show or movie just to make all the heros hot and young to snag key demographics is a bit of a bummer.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on October 14th 2013, 5:54 pm

vagabond wrote:
    I wouldn't say it ruins the experience, but I'd agree it does lessen the potential for a broader range of characters and stories unnecessarily. For example what does getting old look like for someone who is a superhero, how does having their abilities beginning to dull and the burden of a lifetime of choices they've had to make begin to affect them?  Limiting the creative palette of a show or movie just to make all the heros hot and young to snag key demographics is a bit of a bummer.
    Holy crap, YES!! Totally untapped potential.

www.spiritblade.com

DNArington

Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on October 15th 2013, 11:11 pm

I thought the second episode started drawing out the characters a bit more, which I am very glad about. My biggest problem with the pilot was the lack of character development, but then again they had a lot of people to introduce. This is a show I plan to follow along with (which is a first for me.)

Something interesting I saw earlier to day is Marvel is developing four new TV show and a mini-series. Check it out:

http://screenrant.com/new-marvel-live-action-tv-shows/

I'm not surprised that Marvel wants more TV shows, but I am surprised at the amount they are currently developing! That's a lot, but I'm not complaining! I'm hoping for a Punisher show personally. He wouldn't fit very well in the movieverse, but I think he could headline his own show and still be in keeping with the MMU continuity. Also they could showcase a lesser know hero like Moon Knight. Marvel has been confirmed to be throwing around the idea of an Agent Carter show, following Peggy Carter (from Captain America.)

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf on October 18th 2013, 2:55 pm

I hope they get rid of or completely retool the hacker chick. She's beyond irritating. I can handle snarky and I can handle greenhorn, but snarky greenhorn just reads as "arrogant and needy" to me. The main guy (who my girlfriend so rightly dubbed 'Chunkhead') is growing on me, if only because he actually does things. The two technicians just seem to replay the jabbering bits of dialogue left over from those awful Tony/Pepper jabber scenes that dragged down the Iron Man movies. Mai (sp?) could be cool, but she's nothing but cryptic hints for the time being, so who knows. I like Coulson, but they themselves acknowledge that he's not the same person as in the movies (and not just physically), so he feels more like a fan wank than a character, but at least he has a sense of humor and personality.
    I'm with ComiKate: inoffensive, but thus far, not very interesting. Still, the fourth episode was pretty good, (and with a new character that might eventually join up who has...A PERSONALITY!!!) So far this has all the character of a Revlon ad, though I'll admit that it's one of those ads where they smile and play with a kitten, so it's not all bad.

BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery on October 19th 2013, 5:50 pm

Re: young characters . . . both SHIELD and Arrow do have those young characters working with older/more experienced people who are serving as mentors and giving the young characters the benefit of their wisdom.

I really can't see what's behind the complaint, there.

Of course, I'm doing an entire podcast dedicated solely to SHIELD right now, so it's obvious that I like the show. But for all my complaints about the show, the lack of older folks is not one of them. In fact, on SHIELD they have really set up an interesting dynamic of a "blended family."

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on October 30th 2013, 7:00 pm

Looks like SHIELD is seeing a ratings drop: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/10/tv-ratings-report-not-so-marvel-ous/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

I'd love to see the show survive and improve, but with the advance prep done on episodes for shows like these they probably won't have the chance to respond to ratings drops with content changes until late this season or with a season 2 if they survive.

Meanwhile, looks like I'll be getting any SHIELD fix I need with the upcoming cap movie. Had no idea it would be so SHIELD heavy, and from the looks of the trailer, it's the kind of SHIELD I'd like to be seeing more of on the weekly show.

www.spiritblade.com

BenAvery

Activity : 322

Post  BenAvery on November 13th 2013, 7:55 pm

All I can say is this: ABC has problems, but Agents of SHIELD ain't one of them. (Quoting my Welcome to Level Seven co-host.)

The quality of each episode has been getting better, but that's not why ABC isn't worried.

Even with the slight decline in numbers (which happens to every series) it's hitting the demographic that ABC wants to hit. In fact, it's even winning some of those demographics.

The people who keep citing its decline in ratings aren't giving the right information, or aren't giving the information right.

First, Agents of SHIELD is really hitting with time shifted viewing -- people who are watching it via DVR or some sort of website.

Second, well, here's the numbers:

Article: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Ratings Dropped: Why Disney Doesn't Care: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/09/marvels-agents-of-shield-ratings-dropped-why-disne.aspx

Basically, they're earning their keep.

Agents of SHIELD is not going anywhere. If it continues to get stronger, buoyed by the movies and the Netflix series, it will be around for a while.

Rickster

Activity : 1932

Post  Rickster on November 13th 2013, 8:34 pm

Someone posted an article today on Facebook about SHIELD having another drop in ratings and I commented on how can they talk about a drop in the ratings the next day when no one really has had time to watch it on DVRs and online etc. Which I think a majority of who the show is geared too watches their shows.
    I personally enjoy the show and I think it's getting better with each episode and enjoy it (at the risk of loosing some geek cred) better then Heroes (I wanted to like Heroes and watched it for 2 1/2 season hoping to like it but it never drew me in like some other shows).

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on November 15th 2013, 2:17 pm

It's still pretty 'meh' to me, but it's getting better. I really only see one consistent albatross...Skye.
    Man, do I detest this character. She's everything I loathe in fiction: Smug and self-righteous? CHECK. Never changes, learns, or admits their own shortcomings? CHECK. Self-involved and willing to use others? CHECK. Bland? CHECK (odd, given the other bits, but she pulls it off, Bella Swan style!). Shallowly calculated to pander to the stereotypical nerd demographic with generic hotness? CHECK.
    How can a character be an admitted traitor and spy and act offended when she isn't trusted, only to go and spy again in response? HOW IS THIS A GOOD GUY?
    The rest of the characters have seriously grown on me, but Counselor Trois here just needs to jump off the plane like the other (far more appealing and interesting) woman did a couple episodes ago, but please guys, don't catch her. To quote Lex Luthor, "that's what ballast is for".

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on November 18th 2013, 6:58 am

@Dunadwarf: lol!
    I would like to disagree, but.... I just can't!

jsweeney

Activity : 30
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jsweeney on November 19th 2013, 7:45 pm

I guess I'm a @BenAvery fanboy because his announcement of the "Welcome To Level Seven" podcast made me so curious that I had to catch up with the first 3 or 4 episodes so that I could follow his discussions with Daniel. Like others, I've been kind of meh on the show. It's not bad, just not great. My idea of great television is The Sopranos, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, etc. This is convention-laced mainstream fluff with barely developed characters. But I've been keeping up with the show just because I enjoy the podcast discussions so much Smile 

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on November 24th 2013, 10:16 am

WHOA! This last episode...I was stunned. Skye was...helpful. She actually seemed to, for a moment, care about someone other than herself.
    Keep this up for the rest of the series and she might, just might, become a real boy!

DNArington

Post  DNArington on November 24th 2013, 5:20 pm

I'm a few episodes behind; the last one I watched was FZZT, but it was great! There was plenty of good character moments, it was exciting, the "villain" was interesting, and It was finally a Fittz-Simmons episode! I liked seeing the team deal with the whole virus situation and the decision that Simmons made at the end. There was also more intriguing stuff about Coulson's death. FZZT was probably my favorite episode to date! Great Stuff!

DNArington

Post  DNArington on February 10th 2014, 9:30 pm

And there's Sif standing next to Lola...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:17 pm

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 7:17 pm