The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

Post  CreatorsPixels on February 11th 2014, 8:08 am

Hey wait,what episode what that? Did I miss one? Man that last one on the train was just stupid! I've enjoyed it just as some light entertainment but man that whole undercover train thing and talking outloud about being undercover and then supprised you were made? WHAT?? Ugh I hope it was just one bad one!

BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery on February 11th 2014, 11:31 am

CreatorsPixels wrote:Hey wait,what episode what that?  Did I miss one?  Man that last one on the train was just stupid!  I've enjoyed it just as some light entertainment but man that whole undercover train thing and talking outloud about being undercover and then supprised you were made?  WHAT??  Ugh I hope it was just one bad one!

The Sif episode is upcoming.

I thought TRACKS was excellent! Fun and witty, with some twists that were unexpected and some twists that were expected, this was a great hour of television. Really enjoyable, and unlike most TV shows, events that happen change the group dynamics.

In fact, I've seen a number of people who were ready to give up on the show or who already have given up on it say that TRACKS, if it is evidence of future quality, has brought them back.

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on February 12th 2014, 8:38 am

Well good thing I never claimed to be 'normal'!! Wink I guess I really just had issues with the whole bit on the train. They are supposed to be undercover yet talk about it and their plans constantly. They are WAAAAY to obvious about it to even be beliveable and then are totally suprised to be discovered? I mean if they were using the undercover as a ruse to hide a bigger plan or something but come on! That and I thought it was odd how far they backtracked in the scenes when they showed the alternate perspectives. Like they were trying to just fill time or something. I don't know, for some reason it just bugged me this week. Don't get me wrong, can't wait for it to be back! I've really enjoyed the series so far!

BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery on February 12th 2014, 11:17 am

CreatorsPixels wrote:I guess I really just had issues with the whole bit on the train.  They are supposed to be undercover yet talk about it and their plans constantly.  They are WAAAAY to obvious about it to even be beliveable and then are totally suprised to be discovered?  

You're not the only one who didm' like it. A friend of mine said it was "predictable" (I was able to predict a couple general things, but not the specifics.

The way I "read" those scenes is: first, Simmons is terrible at being undercover, which is played well for comedy; second, well, spoiler warning . . .

SPOILER:

They weren't "made" . . . they were played.

The local guy that Coulson takes over the mission from was on the take. He knew they were on the train before they even went on the train, and so they were ready four Coulson and his team from the beginning. When he realized that SHIELD was going to take over the mission, he had to go into plan B. But he knew what they were up to -- they didn't know what he was up to.

Don't get me wrong -- I had some problems with the episode. When Deathlok goes and fights the the people in the living room, he just stands in the middle of the room and it's really stiff, after some fairly dynamic action scenes earlier. There were other things -- it was't perfect. (For my full review, you can listen to my podcast here: http://welcometolevelseven.com/t-r-a-c-k-s-all-hail-the-king-1x13-wtl7035/ )

Tim

Activity : 248
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim on February 20th 2014, 5:42 pm

I really wasnt feeling Agents until episode 6 "FZZT". Since then it's still been on the edge for me. It's definitely not "Can't miss TV".

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf on April 10th 2014, 7:12 pm

Last night was "Turn, Turn, Turn", or the one following up after "The Winter Soldier".

DO NOT READ PAST THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS

I was hoping this was the kind of show the post-Thor episode would have been. This is what the show needs to be! It wasn't lame Mary-Suing or obnoxious pop-cultural references, it was a drama set in the Marvel universe, and a great one at that!
    I had called the identity of the Clairvoyant (lamest villain name ever) and "Lunkhead's" (our nickname for...um...the main agent guy beneath Coulson...who slept with Mei...now you see why we just call him "Lunkhead") turn by the previous episode!
    I was surprised at the redheaded lady's NOT being Hydra, and though I liked her test at first, you have to wonder how many "enemies" she'd killed for failing were trying to pull double agent tricks to undermine Hydra.

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on May 1st 2014, 12:13 am

Man, this show's getting good!
    I'm guessing that they planned this from the initial plans for "Winter Soldier", because everything until now has just been setting up the pieces for this major event!
    Granted they could have spent that time doing some character development rather than long gaps of non-episodes, but they've already made up for their earlier shortcomings and even Skye is finally a good character...mostly because she's finally doing something rather than just look pretty and have everyone give up everything for her.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on May 1st 2014, 12:20 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:Man, this show's getting good!
    I'm guessing that they planned this from the initial plans for "Winter Soldier", because everything until now has just been setting up the pieces for this major event!

Can you recommend a "good" episode to start with that doesn't require knowledge of previous eps?

www.spiritblade.com

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on May 1st 2014, 4:32 pm

Paeter wrote:

Can you recommend a "good" episode to start with that doesn't require knowledge of previous eps?

Either "The Bridge" or "T.R.A.C.K.S". I'd suggest "The Bridge", but both are decent jumping on points.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 1st 2014, 5:53 pm

tmorrill wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Either "The Bridge" or "T.R.A.C.K.S". I'd suggest "The Bridge", but both are decent jumping on points.

Are these post-winter soldier eps? That's what I had in mind.

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on May 1st 2014, 10:04 pm

Paeter wrote:Can you recommend a "good" episode to start with that doesn't require knowledge of previous eps?

How about starting at the beginning? I've not seen a bad episode of the series yet. Besides, I thought one of the things you looked for in a show was long-form storytelling requiring knowledge of previous episodes..... Smile

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on May 2nd 2014, 2:05 am

Paeter wrote:
    tmorrill wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Are these post-winter soldier eps? That's what I had in mind.

Nope, the Bridge is the mid-season break episode, and it sets up a lot of the non-Winter Soldier plot related stuff, especially some of the mystery behind why Coulson is alive.

T.R.A.C.K.S is 2 episodes (iirc) before the Winter Soldier stuff, and is when the build up reaches the climax and the pay off starts.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 2nd 2014, 10:53 am

mindspike wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Can you recommend a "good" episode to start with that doesn't require knowledge of previous eps?

How about starting at the beginning? I've not seen a bad episode of the series yet. Besides, I thought one of the things you looked for in a show was long-form storytelling requiring knowledge of previous episodes..... Smile

For my tastes I've seen plenty of bad episodes of this show. Or at least episodes I just can't fit into my schedule. These days I have no time for what I consider "good" and certainly no time for "mediocre". Love long form. But not long form mediocrity.

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 2nd 2014, 10:54 am

tmorrill wrote:

Nope, the Bridge is the mid-season break episode, and it sets up a lot of the non-Winter Soldier plot related stuff, especially some of the mystery behind why Coulson is alive.

T.R.A.C.K.S is 2 episodes (iirc) before the Winter Soldier stuff, and is when the build up reaches the climax and the pay off starts.

Bummer. Guess I'll wait for season 2's jumping on point if it's renewed. Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on May 2nd 2014, 11:19 am

Paeter wrote:
    tmorrill wrote:

Bummer. Guess I'll wait for season 2's jumping on point if it's renewed. Thanks for the info!

The Winter Soldier stuff starts basically during "End of the Beginning" I guess it's a decent jumping on point if you at a minimum read synopsises (synopsi?) of the previous episodes, but you'll be missing out on character growth and some organic plot development.

The post-WS stuff makes the early episodes better in retrospective IMO.

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on May 2nd 2014, 3:49 pm

I think you'd be okay start with "T.R.A.C.K.S." Let's be honest, there was a LOT of wheel-spinning before WS, which was likely the whole reason they made this show to watch the Hydra fallout. "T.R.A.C.K.S." will get you back into the swing of things and remind you of the status quo just in time to toss it all out the airlock.

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on May 2nd 2014, 7:59 pm

If you aren't hooked on Agents of SHIELD by now, I don't know that there's any point in trying.

This show has everything I want from exceptional television. The characters behave in mature ways, while dealing with character flaws like naivete, abandonment issues, or inexperience. The episodes develop a complete story arc in each episode while laying groundwork for the season-long meta-plot.

The humor is spot on, well timed and appropriate without being juvenile. The characters are approachable and likeable. This show blends super heroes and spies seamlessly. There's none of this nonsense with pointless angst (Tomorrow People) or needless hatred (Alphas) or paranoid dysfunction (Graceland). They've taken away Eureka, Burn Notice, and Warehouse 13. But at least they gave me Agents of SHIELD.

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on May 5th 2014, 12:13 pm

I don't know. The characters and their actions are often pretty formulaic, from everyone...EVERYONE loving Bella, er...I mean Skye to Simmons suddenly (and quite irrationally) being hostile to the new guy and jealous to random romantic hook-ups and the predictable soap opera games they lead to.
    What's making this show GET good, in my opinion, is the plot. The characters are basic types, but the post WS storyline was probably the reason they made this show in the first place, so until the immediate lead-up, we were spinning our wheels and setting up stuff for later. Now that it's happened, it's finally doing something, but it was getting really bad there for a while while they waited for a reason to exist.

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on May 5th 2014, 3:19 pm

The plot setup is taking its time to pay off in the Joss Whedon's usual patient style. This same technique was a horrible failure in Dollhouse, but is working out nicely in this show. The fact that it's drawing from the movies is a good sign, and an indication that they are doing something really different from the way shared setting media has been used in the past.

I see where you're coming from with the characters being based on one-dimensional stereotypes. They're pretty obvious in the first couple of episodes. What's most important to me is that the characters are likeable and act in settings outside of their one-note role. Every episode takes a minute or two to show the characters bantering, relaxing, or doing something unrelated to the job. If you really want to get to know and like the characters, watch the episode "Repairs", with particular note on the parallelism between Skye and Coulson, and Ward and May.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the team being just a specialized trouble shooting team able to be sent on a variety of missions. I'm worried that this new direction you are excited about will end up drowning out the elements of the show that I love - the self-contained plots and exploration of the universe.

Let's not forget that this show is very conscious of its roots as a cold-war era spy comic book. One of the key elements of those stories was the idea of the double-agent. AoS looks promising, as they are developing the theme of trust as long-term plot element.

Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf on May 11th 2014, 9:26 am

One episode left in the first season now. After all he's done, I hope they don't try to "redeem" Chunkhead. He's a bad guy. Sympathetic and pitiable, fine, but don't try to make him good again. And I REALLY hope they don't try to go back to the status quo.

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on May 14th 2014, 10:28 am

Was "Beginning of the End" a kriffin galactic episode or what?!

Had some great dead-pan humor lines delivered by two of the best actors. no spoilers, but I think the ending results for many of the characters are exactly what they deserved and were being developed for.

Can't wait for Season 2. Btw, did anyone else catch ABC's green-light of Marvel's Agent Carter?

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on May 14th 2014, 5:06 pm

That was a great finale. Pretty much all pay off from everything that had been built up over the season. Great one liners and drama. Some of it was rather predictable, but that doesn't always mean bad.

I loved the fight between REDACTED and REDACTED. Especially the part with REDACTED used REDACTED on REDACTED REDACTED.

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on May 18th 2014, 5:51 am

The finale was entertaining enough, although a lot of convenient "solutions" to several plot lines. Plus a great big deus ex machina (a fun one though).

I think this whole season was an average beginning for a potentially great franchise. Season 2 is bound to be better, now that they're free to 'reboot' the whole thing, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 19th 2014, 12:21 pm

ComiKate wrote:T
    I think this whole season was an average beginning for a potentially great franchise. Season 2 is bound to be better, now that they're free to 'reboot' the whole thing, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Oooh! I like the sound of that! Do you think Season 2 Ep 1 will make a good jumping on point?

www.spiritblade.com

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on May 21st 2014, 8:39 am

Paeter wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:I think this whole season was an average beginning for a potentially great franchise. Season 2 is bound to be better, now that they're free to 'reboot' the whole thing, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Oooh! I like the sound of that! Do you think Season 2 Ep 1 will make a good jumping on point?

I would like to say yes, although that's purely based on my own speculation. And some common commercial sense.
    I do think they'll refer back to season one to keep the current viewing audience captivated, but they'll probably do it in a way that won't scare off any new viewers - at least, if they're smart... Wink 
    So yeah, I'd jump on for an episode or two next season and see what you think.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 pm

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 5:15 pm