The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Re: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Improvements/Further Thoughts?

Post  tmorrill on October 8th 2014, 12:49 pm

What did you guys think of episode 3? I thought it was great. It helped set up what I'm guessing is going to be a season long mission, contrasted between the resources SHIELD and Hydra with showing and not telling.

Also, the interaction between Ward and Fitz was amazing. Probably one of the best scenes in the show.

cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac on October 8th 2014, 2:22 pm

I know Paeter is wanting something else, but it seems to me that he "parachuted in" to season 2 after giving up on season 1, and didn't see enough there to convince him that it was different/better. However, what he didn't see in the remainder of season 1 (particularly the last half and ESPECIALLY in the last 4-7 episodes) perfectly set up the situation in season 2. There was a great deal of character growth and development, but you won't see that in episode 1 of season 2.

That said, the exchange between Fitz and Ward was spot on, and the call backs to season 1 regarding Simmons' inability to convincingly lie was nice. Is AoS a gritty, dark realistic drama like Breaking Bad? No, but then, I for one don't want it to be. I want it to be a comic book on screen, and so far, that's what I'm getting.

cleireac

Post  cleireac on October 8th 2014, 5:16 pm

This is a nice, spoiler-filled recap and review of last night's episode:

http://io9.com/we-only-thought-agents-of-shield-was-twisting-the-knife-1643735579

Rickster

Activity : 1932
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on October 19th 2014, 1:54 am

I think the last episode "face my enemy" really felt like an alias type episode

ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan on October 19th 2014, 12:56 pm

I'm enjoying this season. A few more "super" type villains, the most boring character had his role diminished, and Skye may have some plot role this season.

cleireac

Post  cleireac on October 28th 2014, 2:16 pm

Ten reasons you should be watching Agents of Shield: http://io9.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-be-watching-marvels-agents-of-1651787340

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on October 29th 2014, 12:39 am

There is literally nothing I didn't like in the latest episode.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, why do we have to wait two weeks for the next one!? Stupid Marvel special.

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on October 29th 2014, 5:35 am

tmorrill wrote:There is literally nothing I didn't like in the latest episode.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, why do we have to wait two weeks for the next one!? Stupid Marvel special.

Was trying to figure out why that was happening as I realize its Election day. Don't want to competent with coverage results.

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on October 29th 2014, 11:44 am

Drew.Rub wrote:
    tmorrill wrote:There is literally nothing I didn't like in the latest episode.

Was trying to figure out why that was happening as I realize its Election day.  Don't want to competent with coverage results.

Plus a show that is ultimately about political corruption and the things that are wrong in government might remind people that all politicians are crooks.

Or I'm just jaded.

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on October 29th 2014, 4:32 pm

tmorrill wrote:Plus a show that is ultimately about political corruption and the things that are wrong in government might remind people that all politicians are crooks.

Or I'm just jaded.

Haha! I think you're actually on to something there! Exclamation

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on October 29th 2014, 6:29 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:Was trying to figure out why that was happening as I realize its Election day.  Don't want to competent with coverage results.

They don't mind trying to compete with the World Series, though. Game 7! Go Royals!

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on October 30th 2014, 12:08 am

mindspike wrote:
    Drew.Rub wrote:Was trying to figure out why that was happening as I realize its Election day.  Don't want to competent with coverage results.

They don't mind trying to compete with the World Series, though. Game 7! Go Royals!

Awww buddy. Sad

I caught the last couple innings, I was hoping they'd pull it out.

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on October 30th 2014, 9:08 am

You know what? Bumgarner earned it. He pitched high, he pitched consistently, and just flat denied KC the ability to optimize their best hitters. Herrera was no slouch, either, but about the 5th inning KC stopped playing small ball and started swinging for the fences. At that point it was just a matter of time. Much as I would have liked to see a really cool underdog story this year, the Giants earned every base and every infield out. Sandoval especially put up a huge performance which is going to benefit him going into free agency.

Heh. All through high school and even worse in college I felt like it wasn't okay to enjoy sports. None of my friends were interested. It wasn't geek enough. Basketball

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on October 30th 2014, 8:42 pm

Hey now, what's all this jock-talk happening here? Wink

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Activity : 1932
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on October 30th 2014, 11:39 pm

Paeter wrote:Hey now, what's all this jock-talk happening here? Wink

They're still confused by the old logo. Lol

cleireac

Post  cleireac on October 31st 2014, 11:57 am

In an effort to bring this back to "on topic" (ahem).

Episodes you need to watch to get caught up on Agents of SHIELD (collated by io9): http://io9.com/which-episodes-you-must-watch-to-catch-up-on-agents-of-1572676925

tmorrill

Post  tmorrill on November 1st 2014, 3:45 am

Paeter wrote:Hey now, what's all this jock-talk happening here? Wink

Quiet nerd, or else I'll roll a D12 and see if my bullying will be successful.

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 191
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jorowi on November 3rd 2014, 4:17 pm

I hate the D12. Yes, I'm attempting to re-hijack this thread.

Twitter

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on November 4th 2014, 12:44 pm

What was this thread about again?

Bobbi Morse, Agent of SHIELD!! What a natural fit for the show. I just hope she stays around for a while. In the comics, Bobbi Morse is an Avenger aka Mockingbird, very similar to and sometime paramour of Hawkeye. Coulson is stone cold in charge, and it's nice to see a non-Machiavellian character who stays one step ahead of the game. (I miss Leverage!)

With Daniel Whitehall and Skye's father (whom I suspect to be an Inhuman) in the mix it's superspy vs superspy! This show just keeps getting better!

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on November 5th 2014, 6:41 am

Anybody watch the Marvel special on in place of Shield last night? I only watched the first half so far, but it was kinda interesting I thought!

I've been enjoying this season so far......which likely means its about to get cancelled like all the other shows I've liked!

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf on November 5th 2014, 6:07 pm

mindspike wrote:Bobbi Morse, Agent of SHIELD!! What a natural fit for the show. I just hope she stays around for a while. In the comics, Bobbi Morse is an Avenger aka Mockingbird, very similar to and sometime paramour of Hawkeye. Coulson is stone cold in charge, and it's nice to see a non-Machiavellian character who stays one step ahead of the game. (I miss Leverage!)
    With Daniel Whitehall and Skye's father (whom I suspect to be an Inhuman) in the mix it's superspy vs superspy! This show just keeps getting better!
    I almost immediately recognized her as evil Wonder Woman ( http://sfdebris.com/videos/other/wonderwoman.php ) and was genuinely, and pleasantly, surprised to see her turn out to be good.
    How many actors have played prominent roles in both DC and Marvel stuff now...
    Adrianne Palicki, Ben Affleck (at least he will have soon), Dave Bautista, Ryan Reynolds, Clancy Brown (this guy's EVERYWHERE!), Tommy Lee Jones, Halle Berry, Ned Beatty, Shawn Ashmore, Cobie Smulders, Jeffrey Combs...I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of for now.

theden0minat0r

Activity : 3
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  theden0minat0r on December 15th 2014, 8:58 am

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 was a slow burn since (although no one knew it) the overall plot of the show was building to the events of Captain America 2: Winter Soldier. I don't think that show by itself was bad by any means, it was quite good, but there was no map for this kind of show since there are few shows like it (I can think of none that really come to mind. Eureka?). It's a sci-fi procedural TV show with a slow burning arch, it's tough maintain any tv show, but it limped along the first season with it's hands tied behind it's back, and it struggled. The shows massive budget and interesting situations were "cool" but people just didn't really care about the characters all that much. THey weren't in the movies except for mainly Phil, and the otheres that were SHIELD mainstays were merely blips on the radar. It was labeled as bland. I think that since the fact that it was a Marvel property tied into the events of the films it really set a bar and lofty expectations. Even with the inclusion of the Extremis Program, ties to Thor: The Dark World, and superhero gone rouge Deathlok (Mike Peterson) from the first episode, it lacked the one thing that really made it interesting.. it was quite frankly missing HYDRA. the antithesis if SHIELD. The organisation we had seen in Captain America 1, and knew existed in some form, but took almost the entire season to get. Plus, the show was scattered through out the year with huge gaps between episodes that drove fans crazy. This was due to the special effects of the show. People were arguing that Marvel should have created a true front half and back half much like the the Walking Dead does today with so many episodes then a large break in the middle to avoid the 2 to 3 week gaps (Olympics anyone) between shows. The producers were telling fans to hold on, but few did. the show just wasn't compelling enough.

Until Captain America 2: Winter Solder! Then the cat was out of the bag and what a cat it was. It completely changed the show and made it compelling again. It's been great so far, and with the recent additions to the cast and revelations, it's making up for lost time. But do people still care?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on December 23rd 2014, 10:13 am

That's a pretty good summary of my thoughts on the show.

I'll give it another try next season for one ep and see what happens.

www.spiritblade.com

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on December 23rd 2014, 3:21 pm

theden0minat0r wrote:Until Captain America 2: Winter Solder! Then the cat was out of the bag and what a cat it was. It completely changed the show and made it compelling again. It's been great so far, and with the recent additions to the cast and revelations, it's making up for lost time. But do people still care?

I care. In so much as I enjoy the show, and have really liked how the characters have developed. It feeds an itch for me. ever since Iron Man and Thor, I've been interested in the Marvel (live action) universe. For me, the show does a great job of scratching my "geek itch" for more stories in that world. Sure, the characters aren't the superhero's, and I'm fine with that. there's enough name dropping and references that I still feel part of the Cinematic Universe without it being over done.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:22 pm

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 7:22 pm