The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Guilty Pleasures

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5046
    Geek-Cred : 50

Guilty Pleasures

Post  Paeter on October 24th 2013, 1:56 pm

Alright, confession time! I'm interested in hearing about the things you enjoy that you think might in some way reduce your credibility as a geek if others new you enjoyed it. I realize that's vague and very subjective, but who the glitch cares?

This came to mind because right now I'm playing "Avatar Farm" on my xbox. I also really enjoy a cooking game called "Order Up" on my i-phone(currently my all-time favorite i-phone game). These both strike me as being pretty non-geeky and I can only make guesses as to why I enjoy them so much, but there you have it.

I also have a soft spot (decreasing, but still there) for the inspirational singer Steve Green and also Barry Manilow.

So what's on YOUR list? Expose your normality!!

www.spiritblade.com

Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 76
    Geek-Cred : 4

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Post  Dreamerhorwitz on October 24th 2013, 4:18 pm

I think mine would have to be playing "Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy 7." I'm also a fan of visual novel games, which almost never get any press outside of Japan.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on October 24th 2013, 6:07 pm

Hmm... that's a tougher question than I thought it would be. I like to cook, particularly BBQ. I make my own BBQ sauces, seasoning salt, rubs; also some unique things that I do is home made Ranch dressing, and have even dabbled in cheese making.

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on October 25th 2013, 4:18 pm

I'm totally into paper crafting and other creative stuff (check it out at Creator's Image - if you dare...). I started experimenting with it one year ago and now it's even kicked my love of comics from its first place....affraid 

Also, I breed guinea pigs. Which I named with biblical names Laughing They have their own website as well of course, at Desert Garden.

Please don't subtract any of my geek creds. silent

DNArington

Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on October 26th 2013, 4:01 pm

Don't know if this counts, but I love music of almost any genre. My favorites would be Hip-Hop/Rap (Lyrycyst, Lecrae), Rock (Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch) and Country (Zac Brown Band, Rodney Atkins, Johnny Cash). I don't like Southern Gospel or Screamo.

DNArington

Post  DNArington on October 27th 2013, 1:13 am

I also love rabbit hunting! Every ThanksGiving my siblings, my dad, and sometimes my grandpa, and I will go squirrel/rabbit hunting (because at that point they are both in season.) albino 

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on October 27th 2013, 1:31 am

DNArington wrote:I also love rabbit hunting! Every ThanksGiving my siblings, my dad, and sometimes my grandpa, and I will go squirrel/rabbit hunting (because at that point they are both in season.) albino 
    You guys have seasons for rabbits and squirrels?

Here in Montana they're both year around and no bag limits.

ComiKate

Post  ComiKate on October 27th 2013, 8:32 am

DNArington wrote:I also love rabbit hunting! Every ThanksGiving my siblings, my dad, and sometimes my grandpa, and I will go squirrel/rabbit hunting (because at that point they are both in season.) albino 
    Shocked How many do you guys kill when you go on your hunting trip? And what do you do with them, do you eat them?

David N. Alderman

Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  David N. Alderman on October 29th 2013, 4:11 pm

I have fallen in love with every single show that Gordon Ramsey puts out. And because of that, I have fallen in love with cooking again. I took Foods 1, 2 and Culinary back in high school, but never got the chance to actually cook outside of the classroom. Now I am making it a personal goal to try and cook one new dish each week to get myself back into the practice of things. I even picked up one of Gordon's cookbooks. No...it's not a man-crush, it's just a love for cooking. I swear.

DNArington

Post  DNArington on November 2nd 2013, 11:53 pm

tmorrill wrote:

I wish it was all year around, but in Illinois squirrel is August 1st to February 15th (with a limit of 5 per day) and rabbit is November 2nd to February 15th (with a limit of 4 per day.)

ComiKate wrote:Shocked How many do you guys kill when you go on your hunting trip? And what do you do with them, do you eat them?
    It varies depending on how many there is that year (and therefore how many we see), but it isn't unusual for us to bring home four to five to six. Yes, we do eat them, normally in a soup.

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on November 4th 2013, 1:03 pm

DNArington wrote:
    tmorrill wrote:

I wish it was all year around, but in Illinois squirrel is August 1st to February 15th (with a limit of 5 per day) and rabbit is November 2nd to February 15th (with a limit of 4 per day.)
    That's unfortunate. Although, I guess here it makes sense since rabbits and ground squirrels can and do cause damage to livestock.  What round do you guys use?

Oh and when we shoot squirrels and rabbits here, there isn't usually enough to cook and eat since it's more pest control rather than hunting. What is left is usually used to bait varmints like coyotes since they can also cause some damage.

Speaking of hunting though, this Saturday I got my first deer! Hooray for being able to eat meat this winter!

bellamoto

Activity : 15

Post  bellamoto on November 4th 2013, 10:24 pm

I already mentioned that I like Life After Archie, but it's a comic book, so some geek cred there, I suppose.

In the spring and summer, I really enjoy gardening -- seed starts, companion planting, square foot gardening.  My husband built me two 10x5 gardens in the backyard, along with a tomatillo box, herb box, mint box, strawberry box; we have over 30 feet of grape vines that offers the most sweetest grapes (God truly blessed us with those).  We have two squash boxes and another "test" box in the front yard.  I tell my friends that it is "apocalyptic gardening", since I like useful plants and herbs, as well as the tomatoes and chile pepper staples.  I also spent several hours this year catching up on Strangers and Aliens while I stewed tomatoes and roasted chiles in the kitchen.  

Oh, and one more thing.  I like taking pictures of food!

bellamoto

Activity : 15

Post  bellamoto on November 4th 2013, 10:25 pm

ComiKate wrote:I'm totally into paper crafting and other creative stuff (check it out at Creator's Image - if you dare...). I started experimenting with it one year ago and now it's even kicked my love of comics from its first place....affraid 

Also, I breed guinea pigs. Which I named with biblical names Laughing They have their own website as well of course, at Desert Garden.

Please don't subtract any of my geek creds. silent
    Breeding guinea pigs, named with biblical names… made me LOL!!

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on November 5th 2013, 1:45 am

I pickle. Eggs, cucumbers, jalapenos, sausages... I have several proven recipes in demand among my friends.

Plus... I read romance novels. Harlequins. Some of them are the supernatural Nocturne line, but just as many come from the sappy Love Inspired and Superromance lines. Hey, it's professional interest. Harlequin has the best editorial staff in the business!

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

ComiKate

Post  ComiKate on November 5th 2013, 6:39 pm

Paeter wrote: (…) and also Barry Manilow.
    lol! lol! lol!

bellamoto wrote:I tell my friends that it is "apocalyptic gardening"
    lol! lol! lol!

mindspike wrote:Hey, it's professional interest.
    lol! lol! lol!

David N. Alderman wrote:No...it's not a man-crush, it's just a love for cooking. I swear.
    lol! lol! lol!

You guys are hilarious!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5046
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on November 5th 2013, 7:15 pm

ComiKate wrote:
    Paeter wrote: (…) and also Barry Manilow.
    lol! lol! lol!
    You guys are hilarious!
    Hey! I'll have you know he "writes the songs that make the whole world sing"! Nothing funny about that. It's beautiful. (Sniff...) Just beautiful...

www.spiritblade.com

DNArington

Post  DNArington on November 5th 2013, 10:13 pm

tmorrill wrote: What round do you guys use?
    I use a 12 gauge, but some of us use 16 gauge.

tmorrill wrote:Speaking of hunting though, this Saturday I got my first deer! Hooray for being able to eat meat this winter!

cheers Congrats! I've never been deer hunting as of yet, but it is something I want to do in the future.

DNArington

Post  DNArington on November 5th 2013, 10:15 pm

tmorrill wrote: What round do you guys use?
    I use a 12 gauge, but some of us use 16 gauge.

tmorrill wrote:Speaking of hunting though, this Saturday I got my first deer! Hooray for being able to eat meat this winter!
    cheers Congrats! I've never been deer hunting as of yet, but it is something I want to do in the future.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:23 am

Current date/time is December 9th 2016, 10:23 am