Podcast 22 Discussion

Post  Viewtifulzfo on October 31st 2013, 9:31 am

See title, discuss.

jsweeney

Activity : 30
    Geek-Cred : 3

Thanks for addressing my topic!

Post  jsweeney on November 5th 2013, 7:37 pm

Hey, I appreciate you guys taking the time to talk about my Minecraft topic. I know my examples made me sound like a concerned Dad, but it wasn't really any kind of moral consternation that prompted me to suggest the topic. I wasn't really criticizing open world games or suggesting that the programming should be changed to disallow experimentation in the open world framework, and I'm not really worried about my son emulating what Steve does in Minecraft. My question was mainly philosophical. I was wondering if you thought that the lack of any kind of negative feedback in a game, as you all were discussing, might reflect a nihilistic worldview. It sounds like you guys think it's really just about the game mechanics of an open world rather than the moral viewpoint of the game designer, and I can accept that point of view Wink

Viewtifulzfo

Activity : 22
    Geek-Cred : 0

Re: Podcast 22 Discussion

Post  Viewtifulzfo on November 11th 2013, 7:51 pm

We certainly try.

Hope, at the least, our responses were entertaining. I think it does have much to do with what the game designers do/do not want you to do. Sometimes it may reflect a particular worldview, but that usually gets sacrificed at the cost of being entertaining.

wildmanted

Activity : 2
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  wildmanted on January 23rd 2014, 1:27 pm

I thought your question was a great one and it opened up the topic. I think Minecraft in particular, is more about creating and surviving in its world than it is about any kind of level of morality. I think we may have implied that you don't play video games with your kid(s) but you certainly must. Thanks again for the question!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 am

Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 7:29 am