The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Seeking Truth Forum Rules

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Seeking Truth Forum Rules

Post  Paeter on June 29th 2010, 10:19 pm

Thanks for visiting this forum! We hope this will be a place where ideas can be exchanged and truth can be discovered! We also recognize the potential difficulty in keeping conversations polite when dealing with the Bible and philosophy. With that in mind, here are a few suggestions to help keep your conversation productive and polite.

Whenever possible, please include a reference for any Bible quote or paraphrased Bible quote you include in your comments. This makes it easier for all ideas to be fairly and accurately examined.

When you disagree with someone, instead of saying "that's crazy!" or "are you serious?" or some other comment that could even remotely be interpreted as an insult, try sentence phrasing that expresses your disagreement, but less aggressively. For example:

"I hear what you're sayin', although that's not where I'm at."

"I'm having trouble making that work in my mind. Can you explain (blank)?"

Remember that tone of voice is not communicated in writing. So anything you can do to communicate that you are honestly thinking about another person's idea will help. If you can write a little something extra to clarify your tone and avoid harmful misinterpretation, do so. And use ALL CAPS very cautiously.

If you notice that you are feeling emotionally tense, frustrated or angry while writing, take a break and come back to it later. Maybe even a few days later. Don't rush. Worthwhile discussion is not a race.

Read and re-read anything you write before hitting enter. Validate the points of agreement between you. Aim to be humble in your writing. It's okay to not know something. In fact, you will come across both gracious and intelligent with a response like:

"Hmm. I'll have to look into that some more and get back to you."

If you believe a conversation has reached the limit of its productivity, make every effort to end your part in it without needing to "have the last word." For example-

"Well, it looks like we probably won't land on the same page with this one, but I really appreciate what you've said and it's given me some food for thought."

Granted, that "food for thought" may be how people on forums can be nutty, but there's no reason to type that up in a post. Let your own conviction be enough and move on to another topic.

This is a forum to both share and learn. If you can't honestly say to yourself that you're interested in learning as well as sharing here, this is not the forum for you to post in. Do not enter into discussion about anything you are unwilling to change your view on, should better evidence present itself. Carefully test your heart before posting and keep it in check. And pray that God will allow you to represent the love of Christ well here.

Proverbs 17:28- Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Colossians 4:5- Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

"Grace" is a key word here. It means "undeserved favor". Let's be sure that our conversation favors other people, even when we're convinced they don't deserve it.

Enjoy sharing your ideas and learning from others! Together we can all aim to "seek the truth"!

Thank you!

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is December 10th 2016, 5:22 pm