The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Stepping up to task.

Aussie_Pilgrim

Activity : 27
    Geek-Cred : 0

Stepping up to task.

Post  Aussie_Pilgrim on August 1st 2010, 11:00 pm

Hi guys, so I've a bit of a request for prayer for myself. As you may it may not know, God has lead me to going into full time study at bible college next year...I guess that should obvously be a prayer request, and feel free to add it to ur lists, but there's something a bit more pressing. The elders that head up the young adults groups in my church approached me on Sunday and said that, in thier expience, people called to a teaching roll by God usually have a couple of sermon/preaching ideas that they are passionate about. Which for me proves true, and so they asked me to have a go at this young adult get together.....this Wednesday night! So now I've got 3 days to prepare a teaching, and I havnt done public speaking since highschool English classes!

God seams to have lead me to talk on James about how Faith without works is dead, which is really exciting, so please pray that god can give me a Clear vision on the topic and peace so that he can speak through me. Also any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated additions to the brainstorming.

Thanks all.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 801
    Geek-Cred : 12

Re: Stepping up to task.

Post  WhiteBoy on August 2nd 2010, 10:34 am

That's great, man! I always enjoy James...it's a very practical book. Paul always stresses how it's not works that saves us, but I like how James emphasizes that if you're really saved you *will* be doing good works. The most important thing to keep straight is which is the cause and which is the effect. Salvation causes good works not the other way around.

Like the old saying goes, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck: it's probably a duck." They will quack because they're a duck; it's not that quacking causes them to be a duck. So what if someone is claiming to be a duck, but everything they do points to their being a dog? It's not our place to judge and only God knows the truth, but it can be a concern in our heart and something about which we should pray for them.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on August 2nd 2010, 2:37 pm

Very cool news, Ben. I know God can use you in this. I'm praying for you.

When looking at that passage, you might find some interesting things by doing a word study on the word for "dead" used there in the Greek. If you don't have a good lexicon already, you can try blueletterbible.org

Let us know how it goes!

www.spiritblade.com

Aussie_Pilgrim

Post  Aussie_Pilgrim on August 2nd 2010, 9:27 pm

Hi white boy, thanks that's really cool, I love the duck and dog analogy. But yer how it's a practical and blunt description on how lazy we get.

Hey paeter, I've actually got the BLB bible/website as an app on my iPhone (so cool btw) so yep my wife ajd I have been going through the key words like you've said. It's so awesome doing this, I read my bible regularly, but I kinds just slip in when get time on my lunch breaks, but to have something so we studying for, to really get deep into the word is AMAZING! I guess you migh get that similar thing with the podcast.....hmmm maybe I might start a podcast....just so I can keep pushing myself to get deeper and deeper into the bible! Think I'll get past Wednesday night first, I'm sure I'll be on a massive God hype afterwards ^_^

Tim

Activity : 248
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim on August 4th 2010, 12:00 pm

I'll definitely be praying for you. I know how you feel. I've been teaching Youth for the last 13 years. The only thing more difficult that Young Adults is Children. I taught ages 6-12 for 4-5 years.

On the Topic of works, my kids [read students!! still single Very Happy] love to repeat an illustration I gave of a grape. It doesn't sit there on the vine and psych itself up to "be a grape, be a grape, think grapey thoughts" It just IS a grape. In the same way, we shouldn't try to be "Christian" or get stuck in an idea that we HAVE to struggle in being Christ-like. We are defined by our nature, and we have been given a new nature.

The biggest thing I ever got out of a study of the book of James is that I shouldn't at all be surprised when lost people ACT like lost people. I shouldn't be shocked that they don't act according to the standards I hold myself to. They don't have the same nature. So I can look down on them for only living according to their nature. It actually helped me to forgive my biological father when I realized that he, by his fallen nature, is incapable of loving me the way that God does. It's just not a part of his nature.

God bless and I'll be praying!!

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on August 4th 2010, 1:14 pm

Aussie_Pilgrim wrote:to really get deep into the word is AMAZING! I guess you migh get that similar thing with the podcast...

Doing the podcast has been really great for me. I learn the most by prepping to teach others. And it also keeps me regularly in the Bible, which does not come naturally to me.

www.spiritblade.com

Aussie_Pilgrim

Post  Aussie_Pilgrim on August 8th 2010, 7:57 pm

Wow tim, thats really amazing, and so true. one thing that has always amazed me, is how non-believers can tend to act more christian than christians do a lot of the time. but i would say that more of adhering to a culture (i know at least here in australia) that was formed on the church and christian values.

So the after update is: It went really well. Thankyou so much for all your prayers, God really moved in me and helped to to bring a great message. I feel i presented it the best i could do as a first time speaker, there were a few places where i muddled up and got ahead of myself, but im putting it all down to needing practice practice practice and only having 3 days to prepare.

the basic premise is kinda what, you tim, were say. That James is saying that our faith without Works is dead and that God was to show us to be right in him to other people through those actions. That We as christians should be the light of the world, thus, instead of following the cultural norms about us we should be setting the standards through our actions and not just our words.

So was extremely buzzed by the whole experience and cant wait to do it again. Most defiantly going to do some sort of podcasting now, i dont care if nobody listens, itll be more for my own practice and learnging to speak. Any suggestions on software etc.....actually i might go make this subject a tread that more related. ^_^

but again thanks so for all your input, it all really helped.

Tim

Activity : 248
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim on August 9th 2010, 12:23 am

Thats Awesome, man. The biggest challenge in leading a service or bible study is getting out of the way of what God wants to do. He can take horrible speakers [like myself, I much rather writing] and causing something amazing to happen. It just shows how much of an instrument we are instead of an all important catalyst. I love it when He takes one of my weaknesses and does something miraculous. That's when the world gets to see that God does exist, otherwise we couldn't do these things. Don't forget to take the offering of the gift that Moses rejected. Moses was a stutterer and Moses believed for the changing of the rod into the snake and the hand into leprosy, but not for God to do something about his speech and so left it to his brother.

Why do you think that is? Why is it that Moses couldn't believe for the simplest thing, but could for the amazing miraculous stuff?

Anywho, I am so glad that you enjoyed ministering. And I hope to see more praise reports from you about the awesome things God chooses to do through you!

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:08 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 3:08 am