The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Jesus waiting

    Share

    Rickster

    Posts : 1191
    Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 33

    Jesus waiting

    Post  Rickster on November 19th 2013, 10:24 pm

    I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about the death and resurrection of Lazarus and it got me thinking about it must have been hard for Jesus to NOT visit Lazarus while he was sick. I know Jesus would never do anything out of the will of His Father but He loved Lazarus and I'm sure there was part of Him pleading with God to let him go and heal him now.
    Maybe I'm looking at the story differently because I've been in my own time of waiting but that is what I got from the story the other day.
    Any thoughts?

    Dreamerhorwitz

    Posts : 66
    Activity : 76
    Geek-Cred : 4
    Join date : 2012-09-03
    Age : 27

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Dreamerhorwitz on November 19th 2013, 10:51 pm

    I've had a pastor who interpreted the Gospel with the "human Jesus" approach, and I have to say this is a neat way to interpret the text.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Paeter on January 13th 2014, 11:40 am

    I think the shortest verse of the Bible supports your thinking.

    John 11:35- Jesus wept.

    The surrounding context tells the story of the death of Lazarus and Jesus' very emotional investment in this man.

    Jesus was 100% human and that's sometime easy for me to forget. But he loved deeply. Both those who loved him back and those who hated him. Which is why I think scripture also calls him "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;" (Isaiah 53:3)


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  tmorrill on January 13th 2014, 1:30 pm

    Rickster wrote:I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about the death and resurrection of Lazarus and it got me thinking about it must have been hard for Jesus to NOT visit Lazarus while he was sick. I know Jesus would never do anything out of the will of His Father but He loved Lazarus and I'm sure there was part of Him pleading with God to let him go and heal him now.
    Maybe I'm looking at the story differently because I've been in my own time of waiting but that is what I got from the story the other day.
    Any thoughts?

    I don't want to appear overly critical, since I do agree with your point in the original post. Since I think Jesus' humanity is something that is ignored. However, I would like to correct you on the use of the word resurrection.

    Lazarus was not resurrected, he was resuscitated (or re-animated). He tasted death again, as did every person who had their life returned to them in the Bible. Resurrection on the other hand is putting on new glorified bodies, and I think that might be part of the reason why Jesus wasn't immediately recognized after the Resurrection by his disciples.

    Oh and here's someone else smarter than me saying the same thing, but he also gives the examples of everyone who was raised from the dead in the Bible.

    http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_136.cfm

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Paeter on January 14th 2014, 6:09 pm

    tmorrill wrote:

    Lazarus was not resurrected, he was resuscitated (or re-animated). He tasted death again, as did every person who had their life returned to them in the Bible. Resurrection on the other hand is putting on new glorified bodies, and I think that might be part of the reason why Jesus wasn't immediately recognized after the Resurrection by his disciples.


    Great observation. Totally missed that! But crap! NOW how are we going to refer to this story after being brainwashed by chapter headings in study Bibles?

    The Resuscitation Of Lazarus?
    The Bring Back From The Dead Of Lazarus?



    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  tmorrill on January 15th 2014, 4:04 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    tmorrill wrote:

    Lazarus was not resurrected, he was resuscitated (or re-animated). He tasted death again, as did every person who had their life returned to them in the Bible. Resurrection on the other hand is putting on new glorified bodies, and I think that might be part of the reason why Jesus wasn't immediately recognized after the Resurrection by his disciples.


    Great observation. Totally missed that! But crap! NOW how are we going to refer to this story after being brainwashed by chapter headings in study Bibles?

    The Resuscitation Of Lazarus?
    The Bring Back From The Dead Of Lazarus?


    Lazarus: Die Another Day?
    Lazarus 2: Die Harder?

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Paeter on January 15th 2014, 9:07 pm

    tmorrill wrote:
    Lazarus: Die Another Day?

    Awesome. I'm taking a sharpie to all of my Bibles tonight.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Nathan James Norman on January 16th 2014, 3:18 pm

    tmorrill wrote:

    Lazarus: Die Another Day?
    Lazarus 2: Die Harder?

    Travis... you are a beautiful man!

    (Great clarification by the way!)

    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 129
    Activity : 200
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 43
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  jorowi on January 17th 2014, 12:36 pm

    I've always said that Lazarus was raised from the dead.


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Paeter on January 17th 2014, 1:14 pm

    jorowi wrote:I've always said that Lazarus was raised from the dead.

    Good wording!

    So maybe "The Raising Of Lazarus" in my "ESV Paeter-Sharpied Bible"?



    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 129
    Activity : 200
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 43
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  jorowi on January 17th 2014, 1:54 pm

    Paeter wrote:Good wording!

    So maybe "The Raising Of Lazarus" in my "ESV Paeter-Sharpied Bible"?


    You write in your Bible!? That's THE WORD OF GOD! How could you do that? Don't you know THE BIBLE is the 4th member of the trinity!?

    Seriously, I stopped marking up my Bibles years ago. All my notes, highlights, etc. distracted me when I was trying to read or follow along in church.


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 686
    Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  WhiteBoy on January 22nd 2014, 5:22 pm

    jorowi wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Good wording!

    So maybe "The Raising Of Lazarus" in my "ESV Paeter-Sharpied Bible"?


    You write in your Bible!? That's THE WORD OF GOD! How could you do that? Don't you know THE BIBLE is the 4th member of the trinity!?

    Seriously, I stopped marking up my Bibles years ago. All my notes, highlights, etc. distracted me when I was trying to read or follow along in church.

    I don't think there's any right or wrong here, but just jumping in that I still mark in mine. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of truths that the Lord has shown you.


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Jesus waiting

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:26 am


      Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 7:26 am