The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    The Star Wars cannon

    Share

    Rickster

    Posts : 1191
    Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 33

    The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Rickster on April 25th 2014, 7:51 pm

    What are your thoughts about the announcement that only the Star Wars movies the clone wars series and the new Rebels series are cannon and everything else thats been part of the Expanded universe isn't?

    http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/future-of-star-wars-relies-on-past-movies-animated-tv-series-1201164253/

    With the exception of a few video games i never followed the EU so it doesnt bother me

    Dreamerhorwitz

    Posts : 66
    Activity : 76
    Geek-Cred : 4
    Join date : 2012-09-03
    Age : 27

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Dreamerhorwitz on April 25th 2014, 8:49 pm

    As a Star Wars fan, I have to say ABOUT TIME.
    Some of the ideas of the Expanded universe were nice additions, but starting with the prequels, things were getting really insane!

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 686
    Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  WhiteBoy on April 26th 2014, 11:33 am

    Dreamerhorwitz wrote:As a Star Wars fan, I have to say ABOUT TIME.
    Some of the ideas of the Expanded universe were nice additions, but starting with the prequels, things were getting really insane!

    I'm not a huge DC fan, but it sounds similar to the "52" reboot that DC did not long ago. It sounds like everything released so far except for the movies and Clone Wars will be part of the Legends "universe/dimension." So going forward things will be similar, but not exactly the same. But the prequels are included in the canon.

    I'm not involved much over at Wookieepedia any more, but that will be a challenge for them.


    _________________

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  tmorrill on April 26th 2014, 11:21 pm

    This makes sense, and I see why they did it.

    That being said, I feel bad for the authors who put so much effort into building the EU (as poor as some of the entries were) who just kinda got tossed to the curb.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Paeter on April 28th 2014, 10:24 am

    Not a EU follower at all. As long as they make better movies going forward I'm happy. Frankly, I wouldn't mind a fresh reboot of the entire franchise. Same universe, but maybe a different time period and no Skywalkers.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 686
    Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  WhiteBoy on April 28th 2014, 1:18 pm

    tmorrill wrote:This makes sense, and I see why they did it.

    That being said, I feel bad for the authors who put so much effort into building the EU (as poor as some of the entries were) who just kinda got tossed to the curb.

    I don't take it that their work will be "tossed to the curb" but just not held up as something that has to be stuck to. It sounds as though it will still be there as something from which to be drawn and will be used in that way.


    _________________

    Dunadwarf

    Posts : 178
    Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5
    Join date : 2010-08-05
    Age : 39
    Location : Louisville...pronounced Loo-uh-vull

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Dunadwarf on April 30th 2014, 11:45 pm

    Like other continuities (DC, Star Trek, etc.) that get rebooted, this doesn't mean much. All it means is that the EU will stop, which it should have after the New Jedi Order anyway. They kept repeating that epic's plotline two or three times, with less and less significance afterward.
    I am disappointed that, of all things, they're keeping the mediocore-to-terrible Clone Wars timeline (don't know about Rebels yet) but not the amazing Zahn stuff. Of course I realized after the terrible CW movie (ugh) that the cartoon did NOT fit with the EU, so it really branched there.
    I'm glad they're not going to try to fit this in with the EU, even the good stuff, nor trying to recreate it (even the Thrawn trilogy would not make for good movies...too long and intricate). I'm interested to see what they do to follow RotJ in a whole new direction. I remember reading "Heir to the Empire" when it was new in the early 90's and not liking it for being slow and complex (the same reason I now think it rocks), so to me this will be like seeing the story I had then been hoping for. I have several questions about this new storyline:
    Will this be about mopping up the Empire? I've always rolled my eyes at the people who keep acting like RotJ tried to claim that the Empire was just...over. It never claims that at all, so saying that it makes no sense, oddly enough, MAKES NO SENSE! I hope VII doesn't try to say that, like a Chess game, the black team just...lost. That'd be unbelievable AND uninteresting.
    Will this answer the unanswered questions from the prequels? I love Star Wars, but even I have to admit that, while the story wasn't bad in its fullness, the movies themselves did a HORRIBLE job of explaining itself. I love that the EU explained the gaps, but a movie that requires homework is still a failure (same reason I didn't like "Passion of the Christ").
    Will we have new Sith? Even with just the cartoons, there's still a lot of complexity in the Force traditions, so there's lots of room to bring in new Sith, but it still requires explanation. I wonder if these movies will end up doing what others (not me) complained about with the EU...bring some lost threat from the past for our heroes to defeat.
    Will they be stylistically similar to the previous 6 films? Like them or not, the prequels did at least feature, and therefore reinforce, many of the consistent features such as; the opening crawl, starting on a ship in space, "I've got a bad feeling", recurring musical leitmotifs & the musical finales, to name a few. I hope that, even being made by completely different people, they'll still feel like part of the same saga and not a tacked on reboot. To put it another way, if these movies don't gel with the first two trilogies at least as much as the reviled prequel trilogy did with the classic, it won't look good.
    I like the writers (Abrams isn't a hack, but the idiots he has to writes his Trek movies and the Transformers movies sure are) and I'm optimistic about the new trilogy, but I hope this will be its own story and not just a bunch of pandering-to-the-noisy-anti-fans nonsense designed to be not-the-prequels at the cost of actual story.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Paeter on May 1st 2014, 11:22 am

    Dunadwarf wrote:
    Will they be stylistically similar to the previous 6 films? Like them or not, the prequels did at least feature, and therefore reinforce, many of the consistent features such as; the opening crawl, starting on a ship in space, "I've got a bad feeling", recurring musical leitmotifs & the musical finales, to name a few. I hope that, even being made by completely different people, they'll still feel like part of the same saga and not a tacked on reboot.

    Yeah, I suppose I have to accept that they will feel an obligation to make these movies "fit" with the feel and story of the first six eps. And that makes sense.

    But I hope they at least only repeat the absolutely core features such as the crawl and some musical themes. I don't think other details like wipes and signature lines like "I've got a bad feeling" are novel enough to hold on to. I actually groan whenever I hear that line. Not sure why fans latched onto it in the original films, but I suspect it was fan reaction, not original intention, that made those lines Star Wars hallmarks.

    I'm ready for as much new paint as they can throw on this franchise. But I suppose to get the more serious kind of Star Wars movies I would like (as in the KOTOR game and a few of the novels) I'll have to wait until the franchise has overstayed its welcome and is in need of a full reboot... probably sometime just a few days before my grandchildren drop dead of old age. (sigh)


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Rickster

    Posts : 1191
    Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 33

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Rickster on May 1st 2014, 9:31 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    I don't think other details like wipes and signature lines like "I've got a bad feeling" are novel enough to hold on to. I actually groan whenever I hear that line.

    So you have bad feeling when they say "i have a bd feeling bout this"

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Paeter on May 2nd 2014, 10:45 am

    Rickster wrote:

    So you have bad feeling when  they say "i have a bd feeling bout this"

    lol! Yep! That about sums it up!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Dunadwarf

    Posts : 178
    Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5
    Join date : 2010-08-05
    Age : 39
    Location : Louisville...pronounced Loo-uh-vull

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Dunadwarf on May 2nd 2014, 3:56 pm

    [quote="Paeter"]
    Dunadwarf wrote:
    But I suppose to get the more serious kind of Star Wars movies I would like (as in the KOTOR game and a few of the novels) I'll have to wait until the franchise has overstayed its welcome and is in need of a full reboot... probably sometime just a few days before my grandchildren drop dead of old age. (sigh)
    Have you read "Darth Plagueis"? It's a pretty recent novel and sort of a "Game of Thrones" in the Star Wars universe. It's very serious and helps make up for the expository flaws of the prequels. I'd suggest it (along with the Zahn and X-Wing books) to someone looking for a broader, less silly Star Wars.

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Drew.Rub on May 2nd 2014, 5:18 pm

    Darth Plagueis was my least favorite of the SW:EU novels. Currently reading Jedi Twilight: Coruscant Nights for some unknown reason. Probably just because I need SW fix.

    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  rossmcclure4 on May 4th 2014, 8:32 am

    Rickster wrote:So you have bad feeling when they say "i have a bd feeling bout this"
    LOL!

    I got hooked on Star Wars when a friend in junior high would come to school every day excited and talking endlessly about something new he had learned from the Thrawn Trilogy. We used to have a guild in "Xwing VS Tie Fighter" on the Zone network and would stay up for 48 hours struggling to be "the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy" during "Week of War" (I held fifth one time!) We would talk about Corellian ship design and spend our weekends fighting in "Rebellion" a rather terrible Star Wars strategy game. Admittedly, we went a little over board and got in a genuine argument about whether the Empire was actually evil, it is, btw.

    I fell in love with Star wars through the original trilogy and always review the tril every year I can, but honestly, I thought the prequels were good. I was even more surprised to find that I really love the Clone Wars. For me, the Clone Wars wasn't about Ashoka, it was a consideration of the fall of Anakin Skywalker...how I feel like a can relate to him! I'm confident these next three movies will be fun, hopefully I can share these things with my kids someday (my kids will probably be KY basketball stars and not want to hang out with their Dad...)

    May the 4th be with you all.

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  tmorrill on May 4th 2014, 11:48 pm

    rossmcclure4 wrote:
    I got hooked on Star Wars when a friend in junior high would come to school every day excited and talking endlessly about something new he had learned from the Thrawn Trilogy.  We used to have a guild in "Xwing VS Tie Fighter" on the Zone network and would stay up for 48 hours struggling to be "the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy" during "Week of War" (I held fifth one time!)  We would talk about Corellian ship design and spend our weekends fighting in "Rebellion" a rather terrible Star Wars strategy game.  Admittedly, we went a little over board and got in a genuine argument about whether the Empire was actually evil, it is, btw.

    I remember discovering the Thrawn trilogy when I was at the Smithsonian exhibit about Star Wars during a family road trip. I burned through it faster than was probably healthy. I hope they keep Thrawn from the EU. That'd make me so happy.

    What side were you on? The lawful authority, or the fringe religious zealots? I can neither confirm nor deny that I have the Imperial logo on the back window of my jeep.

    Dunadwarf

    Posts : 178
    Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5
    Join date : 2010-08-05
    Age : 39
    Location : Louisville...pronounced Loo-uh-vull

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Dunadwarf on May 5th 2014, 12:17 pm

    rossmcclure4 wrote:I fell in love with Star wars through the original trilogy and always review the tril every year I can, but honestly, I thought the prequels were good.
    I can see the flaws in them, certainly, but I agree. I think people are often just bandwagoning in hating them. Again, there are SERIOUS shortcomings in the prequels, but there are also a lot of seriously good aspects that people just seem to forget so they can bash on the crappy stuff.
    Just out of curiosity, Drew.Rub, what was it about DP you didn't like? I always like chatting EU with people (I rarely get the chance).

    Sponsored content

    Re: The Star Wars cannon

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:28 am


      Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 5:28 am