The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Internet/Work Problems

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Internet/Work Problems

Post  Paeter on June 19th 2014, 3:28 pm

Holly and I would appreciate prayer over the next few days and through the weekend.

We've had somewhat unreliable internet for many years now. About once or twice a month we lose our connection. More than half the time resetting the modem and/or router fixes the problem. The rest of the time we are at the mercy of the voodoo gremlins controlling our internet access behind the scenes, until they choose to randomly grant us access again.

The problem is not reliably reproducable, which makes technical support tricky. yet it occurs often enough to be more than annoying. We've had technicians come out before but it always seems to be only a temporary fix and not at the root of the problem, as the same patterns of unreliable connectivity begin to resume again given a few weeks or months.

A week and a half ago we had an outage that we could not recover from through any troubleshooting.(Remember when that podcast ep came late?) A technician came out and applied a different solution than previous technicians, which seemed to solve the problem.

Last night we lost internet again, with no ability to recover it. It was back this morning for a bit and through a strange phenomenon we've been grateful for but can't explain, Holly's work computer is able to retain internet access through outages provided she connected before the outage began and does not shut down her work computer and try to reconnect it during an outage. At least this has held true so far...

As you know, my work is very dependent on the internet working. But far more important is my wife's work, which pays all of our bills and also requires reliable internet, as she also works from home. The last time this happened she had to use paid time off until our connection was repaired.

internet is currently out at our home. I can get by hotspotting my phone or going to cafes to do my usual podcasting, etc for work. Holly can't. And if she loses connectivity before this is repaired (technicians are scheduled for Sunday morning) she can only use one more day of paid time off before we have to start drawing from PTO days currently earmarked for holidays and family visits in the fall.

I feel like I'm giving way too much drama and weight to all of this by going in to such detail. I recognize, as does Holly, that we are ridiculously wealthy and pampered compared to so many around the world. In the crazy scenario where all of her PTO gets eaten away by a delayed solution to this problem, we'll be just fine. Sad and very disappointed, but just fine.

We want to be open to Yahweh's potential plans in all this, so I suppose the main thing we could use prayer for is our sense of peace and reliance on Jesus as this gets sorted out. Tension and stress tends to settle into our home and relationship when we have problems like this, and I'd love for our trust in Jesus to counteract that. So your prayers to that end would be appreciated.

We'd also secondarily appreciate prayer for the technicians to have wisdom and skill to determine what the root cause of this problem is once and for all.

Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com

Rohelf

Activity : 104
    Geek-Cred : 0

Re: Internet/Work Problems

Post  Rohelf on June 23rd 2014, 4:07 pm

Sorry, man, that bites. Nothing like a phantom network issue. I hope the techies were able to beat the thing into submission.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 23rd 2014, 5:27 pm

Thanks, Rohelf!

Spotlight on Yahweh! Sunday was a roller-coaster ride of emotions as the techs resolved what seems to be the primary issue, but left us with another to solve on our own, related to some hardware my wife has to use for her work which we finally confirmed has been contributing to our household internet problems.

After lots of self-educating while waiting for Holly's tech support people to get their butts moving, we learned a lot. And with help from Holly's tech support we were able to resolve problems on that end as well.

About $85 and a few days of stress later, we now have what appears to be a fully functioning internet that also seems to be a little faster than it was before. Only time will tell if all the demons have been cast out, but right now we're feeling very good about the results.

Thank you to all who prayed for this. I noticed both in Holly and myself a significantly greater degree of ease over the weekend than we felt the last time our internet died on us this badly. So I believe Yahweh was helping to steer our perspective a bit. Still had some unnecessary stress on Sunday, but I think we took a baby step closer to truly trusting Jesus with the nuts and bolts of life.

Thank you again!

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on June 25th 2014, 1:08 pm

I had a similar thing happening where it happened every time we had a heavy rain. After months (years?) of complaining I finally got them to send a technician out and I talked to him explaining the problem. Turns out that at some place where things were getting fed to our neighborhood (not at our house) a box had a leak and a cable was getting under water after a heavy rain. After a couple days it would dry up and no problem again until the next heavy rain. The technician fixed it (and amazingly told us about it) and we haven't had any problems since, thankfully.

Here's hoping you got the problem resolved permanently.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 25th 2014, 3:10 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:

Here's hoping you got the problem resolved permanently.

Thanks WhiteBoy! So far so good!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:22 pm

Current date/time is December 10th 2016, 5:22 pm