The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Will You Buy A Next-Gen Console? When?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Will You Buy A Next-Gen Console? When?

Post  Paeter on August 8th 2014, 1:35 pm

I'm curious if anyone plans to (or has already) purchased a next-gen console, and if so, what will be(or was) the system seller for you? A game? A feature? What is the deciding factor for you?

Right now, I have my eyes set on a PS4, but my system seller (Dragon: Age Inquisition) has been delayed until November. So unless they introduce PS1&2 backwards compatibility in the meantime, I won't be getting one until then.

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Re: Will You Buy A Next-Gen Console? When?

Post  mindspike on August 8th 2014, 2:18 pm

I have a WiiU, and it was definitely the game selection that made the decision. Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon....

I don't play many of the games, some Cabelas is about it. But I'm impressed with its media handling capability. The You Tube browser is superior to the Roku box, and it supports both Netflix and Hulu. I'd like to see a Crackle app and some more diversity in app selection, but I'm very pleased. Plus, the download library includes tons of games from the NES, SNES, N64, etc. for $5-$10 each, most of which can be played on the control pad, leaving the tv free for others to use.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 8th 2014, 4:02 pm

mindspike wrote:Plus, the download library includes tons of games from the NES, SNES, N64, etc. for $5-$10 each, most of which can be played on the control pad, leaving the tv free for others to use.

Dude, that sounds very cool!

But what does "I don't play many of the games, some Cabelas is about it" mean? Is "Cabelas" a game? Or are you screwing with my head by spouting random words and syllables?

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Activity : 1954
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on August 8th 2014, 4:03 pm

I have a wii u but not getting much out if it right now because the gamepad screen got cracked and nintendo wants $100 to fix it.
    I will be getting a PS4 eventually because of kingdom hearts III and uncharted 4 and i probably will get a xbox 1 but not until something i really want comes out for it

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on August 9th 2014, 3:54 pm

Paeter wrote:But what does "I don't play many of the games, some Cabelas is about it" mean? Is "Cabelas" a game? Or are you screwing with my head by spouting random words and syllables?

That's just me being lazy. I should have said:

"I don't spend as much time playing video games as my kids do. Every now and then I will spend about 20-30 minutes playing through a scene of one of the Cabela's titles. I like the Dangerous Hunts series, and Survival: Shadow of Katmai. Cabela's is an outdoor superstore that licensed their name to Activision to make hunting themed games. I can also be caught playing the occasional arcade-style game that doesn't require an investment of time or attention to story. I seldom play for longer than 30 minutes at a time these days."

I know you're big into the RPG style games. I haven't explored many of those for the WiiU. I am of the opinion that the technical output specifications of any current generation console you buy is going to be functionally indistinguishable from the competition.

WiiU has the games my kids want, but it also has a particular piece of hardware I want: the Wii-mote. No other system has a device that you can point at the tv and shoot with the speed and accuracy this provides. I tried playing Cabela's on X-Box 360, but the gun lagged by nearly half a second's response time and tended to yield false readings; hardware-fail.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on August 10th 2014, 9:14 pm

We have a WiiU and an Xbox One. Personally we never play the xbox, I'm just not into the games for it yet. Also I really hate the forced updates before you can even use it. The forced online profiles. The force gold subscription to do stupid things like youtube!!! (ok I think they just changed that...) any way, they really control you alot! Almost more like a PC than a console. The kids love the WiiU, mostly for the games that it has (they are 10 and 12). Although my son plays it almost exclusively on the gamepad and loves it. So far the WiiU is the better purchase and I just can't wait for the upcoming Zelda games when I will confiscate it from the kids! The xbox has potential but its strayed a long way from being a "console" I think.

Rickster

Activity : 1954
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on August 12th 2014, 1:52 pm

The new Tomb Raider game is going to be an xbox1 exclusive so that is a game that will make me want to get that system

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 13th 2014, 12:27 pm

Rickster wrote:The new Tomb Raider game is going to be an xbox1 exclusive so that is a game that will make me want to get that system

Wow, really? I'm thinking that's got to be a timed exclusive at best since Square-Enix isn't in bed with Microsoft (and would likely side with Sony if forced).

www.spiritblade.com

AdamCollings

Activity : 211
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  AdamCollings on August 15th 2014, 1:31 am

I bought a Playstation 3 just a couple of years ago, so no I'll not be buying another console in the foreseeable future. I was actually very disappointed when I heard the PS4 was coming out. For a brief moment in time I was actually part of the 'gaming crowd'. But now I'm behind again.

It's a shame really because I love the Uncharted series, and Uncharted 4 will be released for PS4, not PS3. Not to mention Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn game which was originally announced as being made for PS3, but delayed so they could release it on next-gen consoles instead.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 15th 2014, 3:01 pm

AdamCollings wrote: For a brief moment in time I was actually part of the 'gaming crowd'. But now I'm behind again.

Maybe not part of the "crowd", but part of the smaller specialty cross-section known as "retro-gamers". I'm a card-carrying member these days and have just passionately returned to Shadow Hearts for the PS2! LOVE that game!

(I also hear that retro-gamers get more geek cred... But that may just be a rumor I started.)

www.spiritblade.com

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on August 20th 2014, 5:47 am

Nothing wrong with being behind! I just finally bought Final Fantasy origins for the PS2! At $10 I was more interested to play through it than anything new I've seen on xbox1 for $60!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 20th 2014, 5:57 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:Nothing wrong with being behind!  I just finally bought Final Fantasy origins for the PS2!  At $10 I was more interested to play through it than anything new I've seen on xbox1 for $60!

Oooh! Enjoy! I bought that when it came out and LOVED it! In fact I've fired it up a few times in the last few months!

Let me know what you think of FF2. Let the record show that Final Fantasy, NOT Elder Scrolls, was the first video game RPG to use the "gain skill level by using skill" system. (At least I think. Although I understand fans kinda hated it, which is why we haven't seen it since in the FF series.)

If you're interested, I'm geeking out right now about turn-based JRPGs over here on the forums: http://spiritblade.forum-motion.com/t1531-turn-based-jrpgs

I'd love to hear from you about your favorites over there!

www.spiritblade.com

Battlemech37

Activity : 34
    Geek-Cred : 0

Vita owner

Post  Battlemech37 on September 17th 2014, 3:14 pm

I've really been enjoying my Playstation Vita. It has a large library of RPG games on it - most not too badly priced. Probably my favorite games for it has been Wipeout, Sly Cooper and Killzone Mercenary.

The deciding factor for me was the price of the system and the price of many games - and the fact that I can take it and play wherever I want. Plus my wife and two brothers have one, so we've often had a lot of fun playing multiplayer together.

I do have an xbox 360, but got tired of the deluge of formulaic shooter games and Microsofts live service. Xbox One hasn't impressed me much for the price - not to mention some pretty botched marketing out of the gate (live service and used game debacle). If I were to buy a system, it would either be a Wii U or a PS 4. Mostly because of the upcoming Zelda (wii U), or games like Destiny (PS 4). I gotta say though, it's really hard to sink so much money into a console with the games costing so much too.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 17th 2014, 8:11 pm

Battlemech37 wrote:I've really been enjoying my Playstation Vita. It has a large library of RPG games on it - most not too badly priced.

Nice! I'm considering getting a Vita at some point to partner with my PS4...

...yep. Just took the plunge on Sunday afternoon. I knew I would get one eventually, but the timing was right. Not because of any awesome games out for PS4 right now (though I'm enjoying Resogun and am also getting back into DCU Online) but oddly enough because a second blu-ray player in our home would be really convenient right now.

So it looks snazzy, but for now it's mostly an overpriced Blu ray player. (Good thing dropping comics a year ago helped me save so much money over the course of a year! I may not be liking DC's New 52, but DCUOnline is based on the "Pre-New 52" Universe! Woohoo!)

www.spiritblade.com

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on February 2nd 2015, 9:59 pm

Oh yes, I can certainly qualify as a retro gamer. I played Sierra's original Kings Quest. Those were good days.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 3rd 2015, 3:37 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Oh yes, I can certainly qualify as a retro gamer. I played Sierra's original Kings Quest. Those were good days.

Have you heard about the new King's Quest game coming? Just read about it in Game Informer!

www.spiritblade.com

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on February 4th 2015, 1:17 am

Yes. I'm quite excited for it.
    The word is that it's 'not point and click' but 'very much an adventure game'. I'm very curious to see what that means in practical terms.

There was a very touching scene at a big games conference where Roberta Williams placed King Graham's cap onto the head of the developer of the new game.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 4th 2015, 4:46 pm

So how do you feel about no point and click? That's a HUGE part of the experience in those classic games, right?

www.spiritblade.com

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on February 7th 2015, 8:28 am

When I first heard I was gravely concerned. I've seen the term "adventure game" applied at times when it is barely appropriate.
    I think the turning point was when I saw the trailer. At the same time I discovered it was being released for PS3 (my preferred gaming environment as my PC is really not up to games). The trailer gave me the impression of an action adventure game set in the King's Quest universe. That in itself does sound like a lot of fun. At that point I just chose to take the developers at their word that it was an adventure game.

Interestingly, these games didn't start out as point and click. The first four King's Quest games were parser-driven. Graphical text adventures. The point and click interface was pretty controversial. Could it really be a "true" King's Quest game without having to type commands? That change proved to work. We'll see.

Long Live King Graham. king

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:35 am

Current date/time is December 10th 2016, 9:35 am