The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

A Sad Day In The Life of A Gamer (SNES R.I.P.)

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

A Sad Day In The Life of A Gamer (SNES R.I.P.)

Post  Paeter on September 2nd 2014, 5:25 pm

Was bringing my SNES up to my office to record some footage for an intro video I'm working on for CGC channel game reviews and discovered that the AC adapter port on the rear of the console had recently broken off and gone MIA. Turns out it's a fairly common problem with these systems as they age. Fixable for around $15 if you can solder, which of course I can't.

I have a friend or two that I'm sure would be willing to help me if I bought the replacement part if I decide I really want to. But the games I REALLY love to play have internal batteries for save games, at least one of which has already died or is in process. So fixing the console would be a band-aid at best.

Fortunately, the games I REALLY love from that era I have re-purchased and still own in the form of PS1 ports. (Final Fantasy 4-6, Chrono Trigger) But my boys enjoy Super Mario World and enjoy being able to use Game Genie codes while playing. Hopefully they won't notice that the game mysteriously just went missing as I have packed all the SNES stuff away until I decide on a potential solution or not.

Not a significant bummer, by any means. These things all have their lifespans and I got WAAAAY more gaming out of them than I had any right to expect. Just feeling a tiny bit somber as I watch the end of an era pass...

Oh well. Back to Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne!

www.spiritblade.com

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: A Sad Day In The Life of A Gamer (SNES R.I.P.)

Post  CreatorsPixels on September 3rd 2014, 5:53 am

Its a sad day! A moment of silence please........................

You should fix it though! look at ebay what those still sell for, not to mention that is an icon of a gaming era! Oh and you can open the carts up and replace the batteries if your good to!!

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on September 3rd 2014, 9:40 pm

I feel your pain, brother. I remember when my first PS1 bit the dust. It was tragic. The Jaguar CD gave up the ghost shortly after.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 3rd 2014, 9:45 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:Its a sad day!  A moment of silence please........................

You should fix it though!  look at ebay what those still sell for, not to mention that is an icon of a gaming era!  Oh and you can open the carts up and replace the batteries if your good to!!  

I've watched a video on that. Maaaaybe someday. I'm keeping all my SNES stuff in case I want to recruit a buddy or learn how to solder someday. (Bwahahahaaa! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face after typing that last phrase...)

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 3rd 2014, 9:46 pm

mindspike wrote:I feel your pain, brother. I remember when my first PS1 bit the dust. It was tragic. The Jaguar CD gave up the ghost shortly after.

Thank you mindspike. Did you use you PS1 upside down before it died? I started doing that near the end to help it read discs better. Don't ask me how that works...

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 5:14 am