The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Breaking Bad = Geek Show?

Activity : 4907
    Geek-Cred : 49

Breaking Bad = Geek Show?

Post  Paeter on Thu 11 Sep - 1:43

I've wondered for years why they made action figures for Breaking Bad and it seemed to have such geek appeal. I'm trying the show for the first time (have only watched the first two eps so far) and already I get it.

Someone who is treated unjustly, taking "justice" into his own hands, aided by his unique skill set that to others may feel a little like super-powers, all while leading two different lives.

Lots of superhero, or at least comic book, trappings in this show.

Dark humor with some drama and potential for heavy, emotional storytelling as well. So far I'm loving it!!

Think I might fire up episode 3 right now before bed!

-Seek The Truth!

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Re: Breaking Bad = Geek Show?

Post  tmorrill on Sun 14 Sep - 19:48

This is absolutely a geek show! Probably one of my favorite shows in a long time.

The way they build the story over the seasons with a good blend of dark humor and amazing storytelling was well done IMO. Also there is a lot of foreshadowing in this show which would make sense on a second viewing from what I'm told.

However, I wouldn't recommend binge watching this show since it does have a very dark theme and tone to it.

Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on Fri 19 Sep - 19:49

I've seen the first season and I loved it. I never really thought of it as a geek show, but you draw some convincing parallels there.

Activity : 794
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on Sun 21 Sep - 0:34

This show was one of my favorites, too. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Those are some good points about superheros that I had not even thought of. I think of Walt's progression as a downward spiral, though, and Walt as an anti-hero rather than a hero. There are always some redeeming qualities in him, but he gets progressively worse you see just how far he is willing to go.

I thought of it more of a story of how sin consumes us. When he first started he knew it was wrong, but his initial intention may have been somewhat honorable (providing for his family). Sin soon increasingly consumes him and you will ask yourself "how much further will he take this?"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:52

Current date/time is Fri 28 Oct - 12:52