The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Theater Prices

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 191
    Geek-Cred : 3

Theater Prices

Post  jorowi on November 21st 2014, 10:15 am

Just curious: an adult matinee in my area costs $9.50. The cheapest price we can get per ticket is $6 on "Super Tuesday". Regular prices run from $12-$15 for adults.

If I went with my whole family to a "Super Tuesday" show it would still cost $48. A "regular" night at the movies would cost us $80.

Sure, having 6 kids in the house contributes to the inflated cost but even if we only had 2 kids it would still be $44 on a normal night.

Twitter

mikel.withers

Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: Theater Prices

Post  mikel.withers on November 21st 2014, 12:57 pm

...and that is only if you ignore the popcorn and other goodies in the concessions...
    As it stands right now, I don't go to the movies unless there is a movie I desperately want to see, AND it is the type that is best experienced in a theater. (IE: adventure/action/blockbuster style)
    Otherwise, I wait until it is out for rental.

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on November 21st 2014, 3:02 pm

My wife and I are the same. It's just the 2 of us, and it's $21 ($10.50 on a week night). And that's just the movie. We try to get a combo snack, but that's anywhere between $15 and $19 depending on which theater we go to.

Our best bet is Saturday morning first shows, which are roughly $5 a person before noon. but that doesn't happen often. We are usually renters as well.

jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on November 23rd 2014, 5:25 pm

Yeah, we don't get snacks at the theater either. Way too expensive.

Twitter

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236

Post  CreatorsPixels on November 23rd 2014, 11:09 pm

Around here if you can hit the "early" shows (usually start around 10 - 11 am) then its only $5!! Will try on Saturdays or a day when the kids have off and drive into the city to the AMC. When you can get in for $20 for a family of 4 it isn't bad! Plus they have a rewards card so like every 5 trips you get a free ticket or something. The biggest racket for us is the snacks. Sometimes we just eat right before we go, you can get a good meal for the price of stale popcorn in there! Othertimes we will fill the wifes purse w/ candy!!

mikel.withers

Activity : 520

Post  mikel.withers on November 24th 2014, 8:50 am

When my wife and I went to THE Ohio State University, there was a $1 theater, that showed movies that had just ended their run in the other theaters.
    As I am not what one could call an "early adopter" that place was ideal for me...plus we were starving college kids, and even two bucks made going out a special event.

Rickster

Activity : 1935
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on November 24th 2014, 3:50 pm

My mom gets discounted tickets at her work so thats saves that helps out.

Last weekend i went to see Big Hero 6 and the sound was out during the trailers so to make up for it the theater gave a voucher for a free movie that can be used for any movie including Imax movies thats going to be nice for the storm of movies coming out next year

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on November 24th 2014, 6:18 pm

jorowi wrote:Just curious: an adult matinee in my area costs $9.50. The cheapest price we can get per ticket is $6 on "Super Tuesday". Regular prices run from $12-$15 for adults.

If I went with my whole family to a "Super Tuesday" show it would still cost $48. A "regular" night at the movies would cost us $80.

Sure, having 6 kids in the house contributes to the inflated cost but even if we only had 2 kids it would still be $44 on a normal night.

That isn't Carmike Theaters by any chance?

Carmike is the worst theater company I've seen, over priced and often in places without competition so they essentially have a monopoly.

jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on November 25th 2014, 3:25 pm

tmorrill wrote:That isn't Carmike Theaters by any chance?

Carmike is the worst theater company I've seen, over priced and often in places without competition so they essentially have a monopoly.

Regal and Bowtie. The cost of living in my town (pop. 30,000) is very high.

Twitter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:38 pm

Current date/time is December 3rd 2016, 12:38 pm