The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

world building

mikel.withers

Activity : 521
    Geek-Cred : 8

world building

Post  mikel.withers on December 5th 2014, 11:19 pm

I have recently started working on a couple story concepts that have been kicking around inside my head for over a decade, now, and I think I have come up with a world* concept that makes some sense of them.
    If you have seen my other post, "selections from a translation" you've seen an attempt at getting ideas down in written form. Those are from another story idea that is set in the same world. That story will basically be the journal of a "normal" human who is thrust into strange situations and alien cultures. I have recruited an artist friend to come up with some drawings that are in the style of an old explorer who would draw out flora and fauna, or maybe a portrait of the strange people he met along the way. My goal is to "publish" the journal, complete with illustrations at some point.

Now, another idea I have is to make a "world book" rather like an RPG monster manual, a bestiary, adventure guide, or ...well, world book, that gives background on the various creatures and races in the world. Part of this would include illustrations of varying styles; it might be highly realistic, a sketch, or simplistic like you would find on a medieval manuscript or tapestry. (if you have ever seen a series of books "The Complete Illustrated History of:..." you might have an idea of what I am thinking most directly about)

So, on the collaboration front... would anyone be interested in making some art for this sort of thing? Bear in mind that this is unpaid. My buddy is working with me because he is my buddy and I have inspired him with some of the ideas I floated to him. He has actually worked commissioned art before, but is doing it just for the fun of it and to be part of creating a world.

This world is going to have any number of fantastical creatures in it, but they all will have a "real" basis. Magic, in this world, is either unexplainable technology ...ogres and goblins and such are genetic creations... or not real (faeries stealing dreams to procreate), although the inhabitants of the world might think it is real (they would have their own mythologies). ...so, for instance, a phoenix might be a brightly colored bird, but if it burst into flames, it would just die.

If you are intrigued, please respond here.

*"world" in my usage is a distinct reality...not necessarily a "planet", "universe" might be another word that could be used (incorrectly) here.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: world building

Post  Paeter on January 5th 2015, 4:06 pm

Love the journal concept! Like the book version of a "found footage" movie!

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 1:25 pm