The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Nonsensical Christmas Song Lyrics

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Nonsensical Christmas Song Lyrics

Post  Paeter on December 9th 2014, 9:21 pm

Just wanted you guys to know that "whatever happens or what may be, this is what Christmas time means to me: silver bells."

...um, what?

Ok, here's a better one:

"Santa Clause knows we're all God's children, that makes everything right. So hang your stockings and say your prayers, 'cuz Santa Clause comes tonight"

meanwhile one verse later...

"Peace on earth will come to all if we just follow the light. So let's give thanks to the Lord above, 'cuz Santa Clause comes tonight."

Yeah, I know when I take time to thank God for something, an imaginary magical man who parents tell their kids is real but isn't REALLY "coming tonight" is at the top of my list.

What the crap??? lol!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Activity : 521
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: Nonsensical Christmas Song Lyrics

Post  mikel.withers on December 10th 2014, 11:53 am

Silver bells has something to it... I mean: think about any Christmas song, or Christmas version of a song, and you have those little "ching ching ching" bell clusters that are supposed to sound like the bells on a horse-drawn carriage...or sleigh. So, if you lived out in the country and you were expecting family over, then maybe hearing those horse bells was a sign that the merriment was about to begin...or conversely, having those silver bells in a song reminds one of Christmas, or puts them in the mood for Christmas songs.
    Or...it just worked as lyrics.

As for Santa Claus comin'... I'd get my heretical thoughts in a row if I knew some guy who was known for punching a heretic was coming to my house and knew what I was thinking. ...or, maybe we thank God because Nick is coming to clean out heresy.
    ...but it could also be more closely related to the other story of Nicholas of Smyrna: that he thrice saved a family from having to sell their daughters into prostitution by throwing money into their window. So, maybe in our decadent country having someone drop off some gifts is rather frivolous, but when he started dropping off gifts it really was something to thank God for.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on December 11th 2014, 11:15 am

mikel.withers wrote:Silver bells has something to it... I mean: think about any Christmas song, or Christmas version of a song, and you have those little "ching ching ching" bell clusters that are supposed to sound like the bells on a horse-drawn carriage...or sleigh. So, if you lived out in the country and you were expecting family over, then maybe hearing those horse bells was a sign that the merriment was about to begin...or conversely, having those silver bells in a song reminds one of Christmas, or puts them in the mood for Christmas songs.
    Or...it just worked as lyrics.

As for Santa Claus comin'... I'd get my heretical thoughts in a row if I knew some guy who was known for punching a heretic was coming to my house and knew what I was thinking.  ...or, maybe we thank God because Nick is coming to clean out heresy.
    ...but it could also be more closely related to the other story of Nicholas of Smyrna: that he thrice saved a family from having to sell their daughters into prostitution by throwing money into their window. So, maybe in our decadent country having someone drop off some gifts is rather frivolous, but when he started dropping off gifts it really was something to thank God for.

Yeah, I can see the potential variable subtext of Silver Bells. But your thoughts on Santa Clause Coming To Town remind me of a gal I knew in college who loved Star Wars so much she and her friends told themselves that the matte lines around the tie fighters in Star Wars were the "deflector shields". Yeah, you can make that work. But you've gotta really want it. Wink

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:17 pm

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 1:17 pm