The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Curse You Microsoft! (AKA Curse "The Curse")

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5046
    Geek-Cred : 50

Curse You Microsoft! (AKA Curse "The Curse")

Post  Paeter on January 6th 2015, 8:22 pm

After spending weeks opened up for easy laser adjustment(due to a long-standing "Open Tray" error) my Xbox 360 finally died on me. I thought it might last awhile longer. After all, my PS2(purchased in January 2002) started having similar problems about five years ago (7 years into its lifespan, unlike my 360's pathetic 1 and 1/2 year run before having problems)

My 1st 360 got the open tray error(named because it doesn't detect a disc and so says "open tray") just a few months after the warranty expired. My second xbox (a unit sent to me for $50 while they kept the one they got from me to repair and recycle to some other fool) got the open tray error just three weeks after the repair warranty expired.

My request for a free repair/replacement was denied, at which point I thanked the tech support guy for his help, assured him he served me well and i wasn't angry with him, but then asked that he pass the message along as high as it would reach that I will never be buying another Microsoft video game console.

And yet, here I am, expecting my brand new 360 to arrive on Thursday.

Thankfully, through gift cards and special promotions I'm only paying $30-$50 of my own money. And it is presumably the last model they will make, with all the kinks worked out that will ever get worked out of it. But I'm still fighting off nerd rage here.

The 360 provided me with some of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in my life. But as hardware, it has been the least reliable of any console I've had by far. Problems connecting to xbox live, problems reading discs and a smattering of random annoyances all add up to a console that falls FAR short of the expectations built into me by the near immortal Nintendo, Sony and even Atari consoles I still own, dating back to the 80s.

I REALLY wanted to buy this 360 used to avoid giving Microsoft any money. But at the end of the day I want a 360 console that will last as long as possible so I can keep playing my great library of 360 games, and that desire won out over my pride.

And let me be real, pride is really all that's going on here. I'd love to appeal to some higher value of justice. But the fact is that, while Sony and Nintendo arguably make better and more reliable consoles, microsoft's consoles worked up through and beyond their included warranties. Any sense of injustice beyond that is only my prideful sense of entitlement, a lingering part of the curse of sin inside of me.

Yes, I of course HOPE this model will have all the problems fixed and have the lifespan I've come to expect from my other consoles. But I'd be a fool to EXPECT that at this point.

Ah well. Despite the popular expression, something DOES last forever. But it sure ain't a Microsoft console...
    Wink

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Activity : 1952
    Geek-Cred : 16

Re: Curse You Microsoft! (AKA Curse "The Curse")

Post  Rickster on January 7th 2015, 1:20 pm

My 360 has been turning on by it self lately

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on January 8th 2015, 10:45 am

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I haven't had ANY hardware problems with my 360, and I've had it for several years. Not even sure when my warranty expired on it (or if it has yet).

Of course, I just jinxed myself to a fatal crash while I have a Skyrim game in progress. Smile Having a lot of fun playing my version of a BattleMage. Most fun combat spells; Dual cast Flames, dual cast Firebolt, and Bound Bow/Bound Sword. Just needing to get Illusion up high enough to cast Invisibility.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5046
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on January 9th 2015, 12:44 pm

Drew.Rub wrote: Having a lot of fun playing my version of a BattleMage.  Most fun combat spells; Dual cast Flames, dual cast Firebolt, and Bound Bow/Bound Sword.  Just needing to get Illusion up high enough to cast Invisibility.

That game was my crack for so long. I love that you can build your dude a certain way and then just one day say "I'm going to be a master thief and that journey begins now!"

I've finally squeezed all I can out of it with only regenerating missions left to complete (that I know of). I also haven't leveled up enough yet to meet the high level death knight or whatever it is that comes out of the woodwork to hunt you at level 80. Maybe someday. Meantime...

350 hours. Now that's some bang for your buck!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Activity : 530
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  mikel.withers on January 11th 2015, 9:28 am

I stopped playing Skyrim when my dual enchanted, maxed out bow, with poisoned arrows could take out a dragon with a shot or two while I "hid" about two inches in front of it. It was a little fun to have my armor enchanted to the point where I could walk around, dual wielding flames like some sort of human blowtorch without ever tapping into my magic pool, but even that got old.
    I suppose I could avoid enchanting and alchemy altogether, but now that I know it exists, I don't think I have the willpower to do so.

Reading this thread, I kept thinking: "wow, my son's 360 has held up pretty well over the years," and then he came down and told us the video cable is no longer sending info to the tv. ... oh well.

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on January 16th 2015, 2:18 am

I've had my 360 since 2007 and the only problem I've had so far is me being too cheap to get a bigger hard drive and needing to decide what game saves I need to delete.

I figure I'll be forced to upgrade by what made me upgrade the last time, a new Halo game.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:25 am

Current date/time is December 9th 2016, 10:25 am