The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Activity : 4888
    Geek-Cred : 49

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Post  Paeter on January 30th 2015, 5:18 pm

Okay, I think it's TOTALLY legitimate to enjoy something more simply because it scratches your fan itch. Entertainment is subjective and we kid ourselves to think we can have a more valid "objective enjoyment" of it.

So I guess what I'm asking is, have you ever looked back on something you initially LOVED and after time and excitement wear off see how maybe your fandom largely made the original experience what it was?

After much time has passed, I can now see that the Ryan Reynolds GL movie is closer to a 7-7.5 in my current opinion than the 9 or whatever I originally gave it and the 8-something I reduced it to later. Portions of it I still LOVE. But I don't know when I'll ever sit through the whole thing again.

Likewise, The Avengers movie I watched again recently and had a VERY different experience from the first 2-3 times I watched it. It was... boring. An d seemed largely to ride on the novelty of having these characters together. The story turns seemed determined by dice rolls and I felt very little for any characters outside Bruce Banner and maybe Tony Stark.

Compare this with the Nolan Batman movies. I have serious issues with how they often fail to function as "Batman Movies" for me. But I think they are better FILMS than the Green Lantern movie.

Also, I just watched Man Of Steel last night and still thoroughly enjoyed it. I THINK that's because its more dramatic and serious tone is more my kind of movie than those first two, but with my distorted views of GL and Avengers in the background, I can't help but wonder if my DC fandom will wear off and leave me enjoying MoS less?

Anyone else have similar experiences or wonder if they will someday dislike something when the fan-buzz wears off?

-Seek The Truth!

Activity : 1873
    Geek-Cred : 15

Re: Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Post  Rickster on January 31st 2015, 10:54 pm

Honestly after i saw Man of Steel i thought that 10 you gave it was based on your love of DC. I dont think its just fandom that affects enjoyment in movies I saw the first GI Joe movie while my sister was in the hospital fighting for her life so I enjoyed having a 2 hour escape and i havent seen the movie since to tell you what i thought of the movie

Activity : 474
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  mikel.withers on February 1st 2015, 12:13 pm

I'll take my life into my own hands and say that Serenity wasn't a terribly good movie. I could watch Firefly all the time, but it didn't translate into the movie...too much back-tracking. When I first saw Serenity, I thought it was great, but the longer I thought about it, the less it held up.

Maybe Pacific Rim would fit... It is a pretty basic story, plot holes big enough to drive a Jaeger through, but I simply love it. If I wasn't a fan of giant robots then I doubt I'd give it more than a passing glance.

Activity : 688
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on February 2nd 2015, 1:55 pm

The Marvel movies have totally held up for me. I like them just as much now as when I first saw them. Honestly, time has mostly improved the movies I really enjoy. There are a few exceptions.

I remember how stoked I was when Batman Begins hit theaters. It was just so different from any other Batman movie to date, plus it had Liam Neeson. Nowadays, I find all three unwatchable.

Sucker Punch is another one that made a huge impression on me at the time. I still think the story construction is exemplary, but I can now recognize it as ridiculously sentimental. I feel much the same way about Watchmen.

-Winston Crutchfield
    "The rational mind is dangerous; the Christian mind is devastating."
    Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:30 pm

Current date/time is October 21st 2016, 10:30 pm