The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

MOPS/headaches

mikel.withers

Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8

MOPS/headaches

Post  mikel.withers on February 11th 2015, 9:10 am

MOPS... not the kind you use to clean the floor, but Mothers Of Pre Schoolers. It is a ministry/support group for stay-at-home moms. Now, I guess I might be a bit bitter, as a former stay-at-home dad, that there is not DOPS, but I'll try to be objective in my subjective experience.
    Once a month fifty or more young/ish moms take over the church (where I work as cleaner/tear down/set up/fix this/get that guy. It isn't so much that my routine gets demolished, I can work around that, nor that my freshly de-icemelted runners are getting smeared in slushy, salty goo, but there is something that happens when these moms realize "I don't have to pick this up" that turns them from responsible adult into...well, something else.
    Did you really just let your kid stomp his half-chewed animal crackers into the carpet? And you, do you really think your used tissues should just get dropped next to your chair? Of course, I don't know who the "you's" are, I purposefully don't watch so that I can't hold an individual grudge... and I love each of these fine ladies as a sister in Christ.
    But the collective is on my list.

Still, I get to see little kids playing around, having fun, looking cute...just being little kids, so they do bring a smile to my grouchy old face, I'll give them that, and I remember how lonely it was when I had no one but toddlers to interact with day after day, I guess it is good that they get to have adult conversations, I guess all in all it is a positive event. I can do my job.

I just don't have to like it.

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Re: MOPS/headaches

Post  mindspike on February 11th 2015, 12:09 pm

The poor behavior and lack of appreciation of others does not diminish your service. My wife found MOPS invaluable during those years. Thank you on their behalf.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 5:18 pm