The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

can a series recover from a flop?

Rickster

Activity : 1932
    Geek-Cred : 16

can a series recover from a flop?

Post  Rickster on September 14th 2015, 9:36 pm

It seems like the popular thing to do is when a movie series has a flop is to kill it and do a reboot. But i'm curious do you think if they made another batman movie after Batman and Robin or Spiderman 4 instead of rebooting them would the averge movie goer see it? Or would they have been turned off by their terrible predecessor?

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Re: can a series recover from a flop?

Post  ComiKate on September 15th 2015, 5:53 pm

If sales drop, that means fewer people were going to the movie theatres to see the movie. I'm guessing that means even fewer people would go see yet another sequel if they already refused to go see this part 2 (or whatever number) - or if they did watch it but hated it.

Of course, it all depends on your definition of flop: do you mean a movie that didn't bring in enough money at the box office, or do you mean a movie you personally consider a bad movie (for whatever reason).

If you mean the first, then I would still go see another sequel if I liked the previous issues. However, I would not go to the theater for the sequel of a movie I personally consider a flop, no matter how successful it may have been at the box office.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on September 16th 2015, 11:31 am

ComiKate wrote: I would not go to the theater for the sequel of a movie I personally consider a flop, no matter how successful it may have been at the box office.

I'm in a similar boat. But even if I hadn't seen a movie but saw the trailer and knew I would hate it based on that alone, I still would hesitate to see a sequel to that film, for fear I could only really appreciate the story and characters if I suffer through the last movie.

That said, although I really didn't like the recent fantastic four movie, I think they could do a sequel instead of giving up and doing a reboot because much of the tone could be carried over into a much better film for that property. (And do an opening credits origin recap.) Unlike say a Nolan-esque direct sequel to Batman and Robin, which wouldn't make any sense, since in Nolan's Bat-verse it wouldn't even work to have such a radically different tone in the history of the continuity.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:22 pm

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 7:22 pm