The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Cortland Geekout pt. II

mikel.withers

Activity : 523
    Geek-Cred : 8

Cortland Geekout pt. II

Post  mikel.withers on November 19th 2015, 4:19 pm

Only a few months later than I intended it to be, but I'm starting to put together our second Geekout event at my church.
    This time we'll be collecting for Ink180, who I might possibly have mentioned before...

Serendipitously, there is a woman at our church who is a tattoo artist herself, and I'm working with her to get a voucher for her work to tie into the theme (as a door prize kind of thing).

Stay tuned for more updates!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5022
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: Cortland Geekout pt. II

Post  Paeter on November 20th 2015, 9:09 am

Dude, this sounds really cool! I look forward to hearing more! Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on December 9th 2015, 3:24 pm

Update. det det det det det...
    Today, I met with the tattoo artist, and she gave us a $50 gift certificate to raffle off. If you are ever in Cortland NY (and why would you be?) stop by Sacred Art for tattoos or piercings or whatever.

Also, I found out that our town has a new comic shop, so I'm trying to get them involved. If nothing else, I'll return bottles and cans and buy a gift certificate from them. Speaking of which, i picked up my first comic book in ten...fifteen (?) years: Dark Knight #1 ( http://marvel.com/comics/issue/56781/black_knight_2015_1 ) which I found... interesting. Why that one? Why not? I know nothing about it, and I don't think I'll be too far lost trying to keep all the half known things from other story lines straight.

More to come!

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on December 11th 2015, 3:29 pm

Today, I heard from a semi-local group (Syracuse Nerd) and the local comic shop who are both sharing our details, and thinking about having a presence.
    This expands our sphere of influence beyond word of mouth which, I am hoping, equates to a larger turnout.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this year is called "Agape Geekout II: This Time it's Also for Charity".
    You can check out the event page on FB https://www.facebook.com/events/140077496359184/

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on January 6th 2016, 3:13 pm

So close now, I'm frantically trying to do the last minute stuff.
    If you would all be so kind as to keep me and the event in your prayers I'd be obliged.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 7th 2016, 4:04 pm

mikel.withers wrote:So close now, I'm frantically trying to do the last minute stuff.
    If you would all be so kind as to keep me and the event in your prayers I'd be obliged.
    Will do! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Activity : 1941
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on January 7th 2016, 8:04 pm

Sacred art is that a Christian Tattoo parlor?

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on January 8th 2016, 9:10 am

Rickster-no, not as such.
    The lady who now owns it is, and goes to our local church, but it is just a tattoo parlor owned by a Christian.

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on January 9th 2016, 7:12 pm

Ouch, rough day.
    Okay, so despite lots of positive feedback, only twelve or thirteen people showed up. They all seemed to have a good time, and we got some good donations, but I'm a little bit wrecked as I really expected a better showing.
    I'm very disappointed that, aside from my wife, none of the church staff showed up.
    This one really hit me in the gut, to be honest.

The one ...
    I was going to say "bright light" but people having fun all day was a bright light, and I should remember that quantity is not necessarily quality, and vice versa.
    One thing that keeps me from despairing (I hope that works better) is that a guy who runs a semi-local con(vention) group came by and seemed really impressed by our setup. The size of our church building and what we could do was basically making him drool. I had a good talk with him, and he is on board with making something more out of the event. After the disappointing turnout, the excitement he brought was a shot in the arm.
    He said the church being the venue definitely kept people away that otherwise might have come, but he also said that was something that can be overcome in time.

Anyway, I'll just keep my head down and keep chugging along and working, and we'll see where we can go.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 11th 2016, 10:47 am

You were faithful, and the results are not your responsibility. The plight of the prophet is that very few listen and respond. That said, you had more than I had show up at my last Agape Geekout, so by my experience it sounds like a success!

You strike me as a visionary, which describes me as well. And so far in my experience, reality usually falls far short of the vision. Don't be discouraged! You served God well and engaged with a dozen people in something worthwhile! That's a whole lot more than the zero people you would have had if you hadn't organized the event!

Keep up the great work!

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 11th 2016, 12:01 pm

BTW, you should re-share or even just copy and paste this update on your event to the comment thread at agapegeekout.com!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:51 pm

Current date/time is December 5th 2016, 7:51 pm