The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Job training

Morfinwen

Activity : 33
    Geek-Cred : 1

Job training

Post  Morfinwen on January 28th 2016, 4:28 am

So i'm trading my soul-sucking part-time job at a corporate retail entity for a full-time position at ... well, another corporate entity! Yay!

Orientation and training for the new position starts this coming Monday ... which is also my birthday. Yay?

For the first two weeks (at least), i will need to arrive at the location by 6 in the morning, which most likely means getting up at 5 am so that i have enough time to get dressed, eat breakfast, etc. and get to work on time. Not yay. Anti-yay.

This new job has the potential to work out a lot better for me than my previous one, and i am really hoping that i'll manage to be a better employee and make a great impression, but early mornings and i are not really on speaking terms.

In summary, please pray that:
    1. I adjust well to this difficult, albeit temporary schedule
    2. I get my act together* and do well at this job
    3. Finally, that my family would be able to improve our car situation (at least get a second car, hopefully trade in our old one and get two new-ish cars), because even after training when i shift to the saner swing-shift schedule, there will be a lot of driving back and forth that no one's looking forward to, especially since our current vehicle is not the most reliable

*Not that i did bad at my previous one exactly -- i didn't get fired or anything -- but i'm sure i could have done better, and it's always best to try to improve, right?

mikel.withers

Activity : 521
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: Job training

Post  mikel.withers on January 28th 2016, 9:04 am

Sure thing.
    Not much I can say about enduring mornings that you probably haven't heard... I'm only semi-human until coffee enters my bloodstream, myself.
    And a piece of advice: do a little more than is expected of you, if that is possible... it can make a huge difference in how management sees you, and that can have long-term benefits.
    ... of course, I'm a janitor at a church, so I'm not sure how much it helped me, but had I wanted, I could have been a manager at a fast food joint instead. Neutral

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on January 28th 2016, 3:38 pm

Will definitely pray for you in this. Thanks for letting us know and please feel free to update us anytime!

www.spiritblade.com

Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on February 2nd 2016, 12:37 pm

Survived Day One! It was pretty much just orientation, and therefore quite boring, but hey, that's part of starting a new job.

Unfortunately, Day Two has been delayed. A winter storm led to most businesses closing and my family deciding to stay off the roads.

Here's my concern, though: the company i work for now was not one of the ones that closed, and they have some strict attendance policies. Most new hires cannot miss more than 30 minutes in their first two to four days, depending on the position, or they'll be fired. It's my understanding that, for whatever reason, there is no such new hire policy for my job, and therefore missing one day should not be an issue. I think you can understand why i'm still a little concerned about not making it in today.

I still haven't seen what i'm actually going to be doing on the job, and after getting home yesterday i felt pretty disconnected from my family, which was not a pleasant feeling to have on one's birthday. I'm hoping that will not reoccur, or at least be mitigated when i start my regular swing shift.

Thanks for praying.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 3rd 2016, 10:11 am

That doesn't sound like an enjoyable situation to be in. I'll be praying. Are you living with your parents and/or dependent on them for transportation?

www.spiritblade.com

Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on February 3rd 2016, 11:33 pm

Well, everything worked out okay as regards not going in yesterday. Unfortunately, today the lady who's going to train me wasn't in, so i was left to do a bunch of stuff that had basically nothing to do with what i'm going to be doing in my actual job.

I currently live with my parents. It wasn't anyone's fault that i felt so disconnected on Monday, it comes of stress and new stuff and me having trouble balancing my need for social interaction with my need to stare at a computer screen to recharge. Having Tuesday off helped. Hopefully as i get used to the new schedule, things will be less uncomfortable in future.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 8th 2016, 10:45 am

Thanks for the update. Praying for you! Hang in there!

www.spiritblade.com

Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on February 19th 2016, 5:25 pm

The rollercoaster seems to be slowing down a little, but things are still a little rocky. It was pretty disheartening to learn that what i thought was my last week of training (and therefore last week of getting up at 5 am) was actually my second-last week of training. One more week. Not that bad in the grand scheme of things, but, still.

As far as the job itself goes, i'm feeling much more confident about at least parts of the job. I'm really, really happy too that the rough emotional stuff only happens at home, not at work. That would be beyond awkward.

No immediate plans to get a new car, but it's still a frequent topic of discussion.

Continued prayers that i would adjust and learn well in this last week of training are appreciated. There's also a number of stressful things going on in my family right now, including an idiot cousin running off at the mouth (directed at my dad) and various household things not working properly. More related to the job, they're hiring a lot of people for their upcoming busy season, and i'm 50/50 on whether that would be a good job for my sister or not, so please pray for wisdom and that if it's a good fit for her she would feel encouraged to apply.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 19th 2016, 8:22 pm

I'll keep praying! Thanks for the update!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on February 20th 2016, 8:38 am

Will do.
    One more week of 5:30's? Tell me you, at least, drink coffee? I'd be a zombie if I had to do that.

Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on February 21st 2016, 12:48 am

One more week of 5ams, actually, as we need to leave the house by 5:30 to get there on time. And no, i don't drink coffee; i don't think caffeine has an effect on me, at least not one i've ever noticed.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 22nd 2016, 4:10 pm

Morfinwen wrote:i don't think caffeine has an effect on me, at least not one i've ever noticed.
    Oh my gosh... That gets you an extra prayer right now.

www.spiritblade.com

Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on March 5th 2016, 4:59 am

Just finished my first week of working my actual shift.

I'd say the general bent of it was positive. Working 3-11:30 has its drawbacks for sure, but it is definitely an improvement from waking up at 5 in the morning. Now i guess it's just a matter of waiting for time and practice to give me the familiarity and confidence that will perhaps make the stressful and overwhelming times more infrequent.

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on March 6th 2016, 1:05 am

3-11;30? Hey, at least DVRs and online episodes are a thing these days.
    Why, back when I was your age, if we missed an episode we'd have to hope it came out on serialization some day.
    Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:11 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 3:11 am