The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Awkward family situation

Morfinwen

Activity : 33
    Geek-Cred : 1

Awkward family situation

Post  Morfinwen on March 13th 2016, 5:30 am

To make a long story short, my dad unintentionally made my cousin (late twenties, not a Christian) angry when he responded to a post my cousin made on Facebook regarding climate change. This anger has led him to write two emails to pretty much everyone on that side of the family, the second one almost a full month after the original conversation, using profane language and insulting anyone who disagreed with him.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect from this situation, since it has already escalated far past what i would have expected from my cousin. All i can think to ask for is prayers that my cousin would learn to respect other people's opinions and that the situation would be defused.

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Re: Awkward family situation

Post  mindspike on March 15th 2016, 8:52 pm

I've been there, in nearly this exact situation, with my own family. It's not easy, and I'll be praying for you. In my experience, this is almost never about the actual argument, but other issues entirely.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

mikel.withers

Activity : 521
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  mikel.withers on March 16th 2016, 8:07 am

Will do.
    My dad constantly posts things in all caps and without tact at all.
    It can get uncomfortable.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on March 16th 2016, 12:48 pm

To clarify, was it your dad or your cousin that wrote the two e-mails? Also, is your dad a believer?

Will definitely pray for peace and grace in this messy situation.

www.spiritblade.com

Morfinwen

Activity : 33
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Morfinwen on March 19th 2016, 11:03 pm

Yes, my cousin wrote the two emails, and yes my dad is a believer.

I'm sure there's more to it than just what my dad said on Facebook. His parents have been divorced for many years, and in the emails he has mentioned being hurt in his childhood by adults in his life.

My cousin wrote another email last night, calling people cowards and worse for not saying anything. One of my aunts and my mom both responded, sharing from personal experience that staying angry at people for hurting you is not helpful or healthy, and that they felt he needed to apologize for some of the things he had said.

I don't feel like i ever knew this cousin well. As i said, he wasn't always at family gatherings when we were growing up, and we didn't interact a whole lot when he was. I don't know what's happened to make him so hurt and angry, i don't know if he's in a place where he'll listen to any of us, and i really don't know what he's going to do next. I'm not afraid of violence or anything, but whatever is bothering him is probably more serious than one or two emails can correct.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on March 23rd 2016, 5:29 pm

Morfinwen wrote:whatever is bothering him is probably more serious than one or two emails can correct.

That's probably some wise insight. I'll pray that someone who has "earned" a voice in his life will speak some gracious truth that will show him a direction that moves toward Jesus.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:07 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 3:07 am