The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

in an ironic twist...

mikel.withers

Activity : 658
    Geek-Cred : 9

in an ironic twist...

Post  mikel.withers on March 24th 2016, 9:01 am

One of my Facebook friends, a guy I went to school with and played football with for ten years, posted a picture ... comparing the Bible to crap.
    My initial response was "well, I don't need any more of that guy in my life" and I was ready to de-friend him when I realized the aforementioned ironic twist: 90% of his posts are about how screwed up his personal life is.
    I'm guessing ...almost "feeling a conviction" that NOW is not the time for his Bible-believing friends to ditch him.

So: I could really use some Divine inspiration on how to move forward in witnessing to the guy. ...a guy who has caused me a negative gut reaction from the beginning...a guy who I was all to eager to part ways with.
    If you could pray, with and for me, that I'd have the right mind-set/heart-attitude, the right words, patience, and wisdom, I'd really appreciate it. And if you'd say a prayer for Tim (very little chance of him darkening the door of this forum) that the Holy Spirit would speak to him, I'd appreciate that as well.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5405
    Geek-Cred : 52

Re: in an ironic twist...

Post  Paeter on March 24th 2016, 4:54 pm

I'll absolutely pray for you both. Despite what he's expressed, it's very possible God will use his circumstances to demonstrate love to him.

In the meantime, you might consider just "being a friend" and expressing compassion and concern when he shares his frustration or pain. He may not be ready to hear any "Jesus talk", but until he seems interested there is a lot of benefit to just being an interested e-friend and building some relational equity. In time he might decide you're someone he can bring up "God stuff" with, or maybe he will with someone else as a result of the good experiences he has interacting with you.

Thanks for sharing this.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Activity : 658
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers on March 25th 2016, 9:04 am

Update on this, I was able to respond to him in a clear, but not unkind way. Even when it turned into a back and forth, I didn't even find myself rolling my eyes (literally or metaphorically) at some of his inane comments. (and I didn't call them inane to him either) That is most unlike me.
    In the meantime, I was reminded of another aspect of social media, and that is: a couple of his other FB friends spoke out against his characterization of the Bible, and a "non-religious" guy said that I had good points that my friend didn't acknowledge.
    If I had walked; if I had done my version of not casting pearls before the swine, I would have not stood in support of a brother and sister in Christ, and not had some form of testimony to another...and those are just the people who responded. There is a whole big world out there that we can each effect in small ways. I pray my way is righteous.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 30th 2017, 3:35 pm