The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Look away, my son

mikel.withers

Activity : 524
    Geek-Cred : 8

Look away, my son

Post  mikel.withers on April 7th 2016, 10:31 am

In the discussion about the Shannarra series, I talked about looking away from the tv when scantily clad women are on there.
    I think the article I am linking to, gives a really good practical way of approaching the topic. It is nicely summed up in this quote- " Using her example, I have simply told Lincoln, “Please look away, she needs privacy.” "

http://entrustedministries.com/blog/look-away-my-son

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: Look away, my son

Post  Paeter on April 7th 2016, 7:24 pm

Dude, thank you for posting this! At first I laughed because of the irony of saying that about a woman who has no clue she "needs privacy". But the article is great and the practice is a gracious one that doesn't shame anyone while still dealing with the issue. Thank you so much!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on April 8th 2016, 8:05 am

I read the article, and I was like: "oh, I could have handled that so much better."
    A little kid is going to "get it" when someone needs privacy in a way they aren't going to understand the whole lead up to what is going on.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 8th 2016, 5:09 pm

mikel.withers wrote:I read the article, and I was like: "oh, I could have handled that so much better."

What would you have done differently? Not sure I'm following you.

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on April 9th 2016, 9:50 am

Well, instead of "Don't look" or "We don't look at women who dress like that" or making it like my son was doing something wrong by watching the tv we put in front of him, just saying "She needs privacy" makes it much less condemning.
    Instead of being a matter of blame and shame, it is a matter of courtesy and kindness.
    Does that make sense?

It is Colossus covering his eyes to protect punchy girl, rather than Colossus blaming the world for all the smut around him.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 11th 2016, 5:27 pm

mikel.withers wrote:Well, instead of "Don't look" or "We don't look at women who dress like that" or making it like my son was doing something wrong by watching the tv we put in front of him, just saying "She needs privacy" makes it much less condemning.
    Instead of being a matter of blame and shame, it is a matter of courtesy and kindness.
    Does that make sense?

It is Colossus covering his eyes to protect punchy girl, rather than Colossus blaming the world for all the smut around him.

OOOOH, I thought you found fault with the article and had a better approach in mind. Sorry.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:56 am

Current date/time is December 8th 2016, 6:56 am