The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

"Grown Up Game Night" At Our Church This Saturday

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50

"Grown Up Game Night" At Our Church This Saturday

Post  Paeter on May 11th 2016, 8:27 pm

This Saturday will be the first "Grown Up Game Night" event at our church. I've been planning and promoting it for awhile and would love for it to be well attended and useful in connecting a wide range of age groups.

The vast majority of people who interacted with me at my promo table the last two Sundays were supportive or even excited about the idea. But there were two instances of folks who seemed nervous that we would have fantasy themed (read: Dungeons and Dragons) games at the event. (I put out a fantasy RPG and dice along with a bunch of other traditional/classic and modern board game boxes on my promo table.) I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would "make a stink" at the event, but I want to be ready to represent truth with a patient, non-defensive attitude, with gracious words and a winning tone that disarms tension and creates new friends in the unlikely event that someone calls a game into question.

Prayers would be appreciated!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Activity : 523
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: "Grown Up Game Night" At Our Church This Saturday

Post  mikel.withers on May 12th 2016, 7:57 am

Will do.
    It's sad that fantasy has such a rotten name around certain people.

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on May 12th 2016, 10:24 am

Will pray for your game night to be a success. Our church youth group has had success with games that are either very lightly themed or have very light mechanics. Popular choices are Superfight, Fluxx, Munchkin, and Exploding Kittens.

One thing to remember around mundanes is that the vast majority of your attendees aren't there for the game itself, they are there to socialize with others. This is why easily understood and abstract games are so popular. Please don't forget to include some ordinary decks of cards and scratch paper at your event. You might be surprised at the number of people who show up to play Euchre, Spades, Rummy, or Cribbage.

I'm not surprised that you had concern expressed over "fantasy" games, especially D&D. It has nothing to do with the game having a "bad name" or your constituents being unenlighted. It has a great deal more to do with the iconography and associations of the game. Most of that imagery is demonic, violent, and sexy. There's a reason that "good" fantasy (Tolkien and Lewis) is more acceptable, those images are either absent (Lewis) or clearly belong solely to the bad guy (Tolkien). Of course people will be frightened of it - the subject matter itself is frightening!

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on May 20th 2016, 3:45 pm

Thanks, guys! The night was a big success and I had just enough strength to get through it while fighting a debilitating cold.

A wide range of ages were represented and we were near capacity all night.

I prominently placed classic games (including a traditional deck) on the promo table, and we definitely had folks there for those types. But right next to them were college students and 30 somethings playing nerdy board games and everyone seemed to have a great time.

As you pointed out Winston, socializing is why people come and was actually the chief goal for me. My hope is that with more events like this we'll see people gaining a wider view of who "the church" is made up of and will learn to benefit from people in different stages of life than they are.

Thanks so much for your prayers!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:23 am

Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 9:23 am