The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

I might need to be committed

Rickster

Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16

I might need to be committed

Post  Rickster on June 16th 2016, 10:10 pm

So I just got an email that the date of a 10k mud run I'm registered for has been changed from Oct 22 to Nov 19th the only problem with that is I'm already going to be doing a 5k mud run with my dad on that day. it might be doable to do both but it's the week after the Avengers races so I'm looking at the possibility of doing a 5k a 10k and 1/2 marathon a 5k mud run and a 10k mud run all in the span of 8 days. and in case you're wondering that is a total of 31.7 miles. I think I might be crazy

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: I might need to be committed

Post  Paeter on June 20th 2016, 11:57 am

I have no education in psychology, but I would like to confirm that you are indeed, clinically insane.

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on June 23rd 2016, 10:37 am

Guess I'll be in the cell next to you. I actually very jealous.
    My wife and I have plans to do the Glass Slipper Challenge at Disney World in 2017. That's a 5K, 10K and 1/2 Marathon over the course of a weekend.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

mikel.withers

Activity : 523
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  mikel.withers on June 23rd 2016, 11:17 am

I've always been jealous of runners.
    I just get so bored... even in my "fit" days I couldn't run a lap of the track without my mind wandering off, and my "distance days" for track included me and a buddy ducking into a swamp to avoid all that running. (I was a thrower and jumper)
    I have always needed the stimulation of a game, be it basketball or rugby or or even soccer to do any kind of cardio work (football with its starts and stops isn't the same thing in my mind). I used to play basketball at the park for six hours a day, but run a mile? inconceivable.
    How do you do it?

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 23rd 2016, 2:59 pm

mikel.withers wrote:I've always been jealous of runners.
    I just get so bored... even in my "fit" days I couldn't run a lap of the track without my mind wandering off,

I used to do treadmill and found audio fiction to be useful! ;-)

Some pretty cool stuff here: www.spiritblade.com  

(Sigh... Guess I might as well warm up those "marketing muscles", huh?)

And you marathon runners are awesome by the way. A big hat off to you!

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Post  Rickster on June 24th 2016, 2:17 am

mindspike wrote:Guess I'll be in the cell next to you. I actually very jealous.
    My wife and I have plans to do the Glass Slipper Challenge at Disney World in 2017. That's a 5K, 10K and 1/2 Marathon over the course of a weekend.

Have fun. I haven't done a race at Walt Disney World yet so I don't know how different they are from the Disneyland ones. Will you and your wife wear a costume?

I just get so bored... even in my "fit" days I couldn't run a lap of the track without my mind wandering off, and my "distance days" for track included me and a buddy ducking into a swamp to avoid all that running. (I was a thrower and jumper)
    I have always needed the stimulation of a game, be it basketball or rugby or or even soccer to do any kind of cardio work (football with its starts and stops isn't the same thing in my mind). I used to play basketball at the park for six hours a day, but run a mile? inconceivable.
    How do you do it?

I think that's one of the reason I prefer Obstacle Racing the climbing, sliding, jumping, and climbing help keeps the monotony down. And Disney does a good job of keeping entertainment on the course. So while you're in the parks they have characters out that you can take pictures with and then out side the park they have local High school cheerleaders or bands preforming they've had Hawaiian dancers doing their routines, a car show, and at the Avengers races they've had Cosplayers and WWII reenactors to cheer you on. All of that really helps make the 3 hours of running not that bad

Paeter wrote:
    I just get so bored... even in my "fit" days I couldn't run a lap of the track without my mind wandering off,

I used to do treadmill and found audio fiction to be useful! ;-)

Some pretty cool stuff here: www.spiritblade.com  

(Sigh... Guess I might as well warm up those "marketing muscles", huh?)

And you marathon runners are awesome by the way. A big hat off to you!

I've listened to podcast as I run before but since I run outside and not on a "dreadmill" and I live close to a busy street and all the cars driving by makes it a little too loud to hear what they are saying on the show so I tend to listen to music since its songs I've heard before and don't really need to concentrate at waht's being siad

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on June 27th 2016, 12:46 pm

Marketing muscles indeed.
    I listen to podcasts ...oh, not more than 20 hours a week or so. albino Less, when I get a good audio book.
    I'm afraid I need something more interactive when I'm not working.
    Although, I did just spend eight to ten hours moving my in-laws' worldly possessions into my house yesterday. That was fairly "interactive", but not something I'd care to do again.
    No, I assure you: that Spiritblade work you did will help me get through my work.

Obstacle racing seems like it would be more along my line of interest. It just always seems so muddy... and congested. If I had an obstacle course that I could do when everyone else was off doing something else, I'd like that. I used to have acreage of hills and woods that I would spend hours and hours exploring and running through as a kid.
    But, bah! I'm just making excuses for my (ample) gut now. I either need to get busy or not, waffling wont help any.

Rickster

Post  Rickster on June 27th 2016, 4:41 pm

mikel.withers wrote:

Obstacle racing seems like it would be more along my line of interest. It just always seems so muddy... and congested.
    Not every Obstacle Race has mud the one I did last Saturday didn't have mud just a lot of water ones and most of them allow you to skip Obstacles with no penalty (others like Spartan makes you do 30 burpees if you fail or skip an Obstacle). As for the Congestion considering I had to wait in a 30 minute line for a couple of Obstacle would have been a problem if I was going for time

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 27th 2016, 7:52 pm

mikel.withers wrote: If I had an obstacle course that I could do when everyone else was off doing something else, I'd like that.

Love this idea. My crippling pride mixed with my "dying donkey" noises means that exercise is a strictly solo affair.

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on July 5th 2016, 4:49 pm

Will we be in costume for the Glass Slipper? It's possible. If UnderArmour character shirts and matching pants count. She may go for a princess outfit.

I love obstacle courses. We just finished the Insane Inflatable 5K - monster inflatable obstacles all along the course and they do a good job of staggering the heats to not get too crowded. I ran the SWAT Team Challenge at the beginning of May and *severely* pulled a leg muscle. I ran up the warped wall and heard a long POP. Couldn't finish the course, had to ride out in the meat wagon. But the very next week I dosed on pain meds, bound up the leg, and ran the Grit Challenge obstacle course through the mud. I came in dead last, completely unable to move faster than a limp. But I finished the course only 4 minutes behind the nearest runner. I'm about two months past that injury and am back up to an 11-minute mile.

Running has been good for me. I usually do podcasts or audio books. I tried the Zombies Run app for a bit. Running without my earbuds usually means it's prayer time, as in "God just let me get this over with!" It's just a matter of making the commitment and then not stopping when it becomes inconvenient or difficult. I was very self-conscious/body-conscious when I started, but have gotten to the point where that's not so much of an issue. When the fat man barrels down the course people get out of the way! The wheezing noises let them know I'm coming!

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

AdamCollings

Activity : 210
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  AdamCollings on July 5th 2016, 11:51 pm

How do you do it?

Zombies, Run! could be helpful. (https://zombiesrungame.com/)

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on July 6th 2016, 9:57 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Zombies, Run! could be helpful. (https://zombiesrungame.com/)
    Now, if it were Zombies, Fight!, I could probably get a good workout in. (one of the reasons zombie movies don't do anything for me... except Sean of the Dead)

Rickster

Post  Rickster on July 11th 2016, 5:28 pm

I dislocated my shoulder rock climbing last Wednesday and since my family wont let me do the race I'm registered for on this coming Saturday I had to move it to a later date so I moved it to Oct 22 the date of the race that moved and since this race close to Halloween its going to have Zombies in it

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on July 12th 2016, 8:37 am

Bummer, probably the wiser course ,though.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on July 13th 2016, 1:19 pm

Rickster wrote:I dislocated my shoulder rock climbing last Wednesday and since my family wont let me do the race I'm registered for on this coming Saturday I had to move it to a later date so I moved it to Oct 22 the date of the race that moved and since this race close to Halloween its going to have Zombies in it

Ouch, man! Sorry!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:28 am

Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 7:28 am