The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

What Are You Playing And Why?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

What Are You Playing And Why?

Post  Paeter on August 22nd 2016, 9:55 am

I thought it might be fun for the game players here to mention what they are playing right now and why! This can be any kind of nerd game. Board, card, PnP or video games(and the one's I've forgotten, too).

I'm currently trying to zero in on a video game that will hit my "sweet spot" and scratch all the right itches at once. To that end I'm finally giving The Witcher 3 a try after getting it on sale over the weekend. The first was too clunky and difficult, the second just too difficult, but I think I can manage this one on easy if I load up on restoratives and try to take advantage of enemy weaknesses more often.

I'm digging the open world aspect and "picking flowers" for crafting. Trying to up my game from just alternating button mashing between quick and heavy attack. The combat will take some adjustment, but once upon a time I thought I would hate and be terrible at the Shadow Hearts combat system and Diablo clones and those are now my two favorite styles of RPG combat! So I'm hoping that by stretching a bit I'll soon discover enjoyment of this style, too.

The world is also beautiful and changes dramatically depending on where the sun is at. Never played a game where the day night cycle had such a strong visual effect. Also liking the "fantasy detective" side of being a Witcher.

Fallout 4 also got it's hooks in me again, as the Vault Tec DLC gave me reason to fill my pockets with post-apocalyptic crap again. Good times.

So what are YOU playing and why?

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Activity : 523
    Geek-Cred : 8

Re: What Are You Playing And Why?

Post  mikel.withers on August 22nd 2016, 11:39 am

I've set aside my World of Tanks for Rome: Total War.
    It is on the older side of video games, 2004+5, but that means it runs smoothly on my older-side desktop. My favorite part of this game is the diversity of play styles it allows for. From phalanxes to chariots, elephants to naked barbarians, head hurlers and berserkers... you can do just about any style. Plus (obviously of secondary concern) you get the historical setting and lessons in geography that are fun. Not to mention that it is highly mod-able.

Rickster

Activity : 1940
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on August 22nd 2016, 3:32 pm

I'm currently playing one game on the Vita, PS3, and PS4
    Vita: I'm playing Uncharted Golden Abyss on the hard difficulty and trying to get all the treasures and as many of the other trophies I need before attempting it on Crushing difficulty and getting the Platinum
    PS3: I'm replaying Alice: The madness returns and like Uncharted i'm trying to get all the trophies I can before starting the Nightmare difficulty for that Plat.
    PS4: I'm playing a game called Candlelight an action platformer that all you have to do is beat the game and you have all the trophies.

I've been itching to replay Tomb Raider 2013 on the PS4 but will wait until late Sept early Oct to play it before Rise of the Tomb Raider FINALLY comes to the PS4

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 29th 2016, 9:59 am

mikel.withers wrote:I've set aside my World of Tanks for Rome: Total War.
    It is on the older side of video games, 2004+5, but that means it runs smoothly on my older-side desktop.

PC Retro gaming all the way! I don't have the patience or cash to keep a gaming PC tuned up. But I love keeping tabs on what gog.com has and playing some older titles now and then. It's like being a time traveler and using common tech of the future to be a tech-based superhero in the past! (Now all I need are a cool blue and gold suit and some sponsors!)

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 29th 2016, 10:21 am

Rickster wrote:I'm currently playing one game on the Vita, PS3, and PS4
    Vita: I'm playing Uncharted Golden Abyss on the hard difficulty and trying to get all the treasures and as many of the other trophies I need before attempting it on Crushing difficulty and getting the Platinum
    PS3: I'm replaying Alice: The madness returns and like Uncharted i'm trying to get all the trophies I can before starting the Nightmare difficulty for that Plat.
    PS4: I'm playing a game called Candlelight an action platformer that all you have to do is beat the game and you have all the trophies.

I've been itching to replay Tomb Raider 2013 on the PS4 but will wait until late Sept early Oct to play it before Rise of the Tomb Raider FINALLY comes to the PS4

Had no idea you were such a trophy hunter! Have fun! Do you always go for platinum on the games you play?

I'm now going back and forth between Two Worlds 2 and Fallout 4, with the strong possibility of more Witcher 3 soon. Enjoyed a lot of Witcher 3 (been trying it for the first time recently) but I don't feel like I can develop my character with the same diversity as other RPGs (Mainly combat abilities and crafting. Not seeing a thieving or charisma skill tree for example. And definitely no potential to play as a magic user. Boo.), nor do I feel his growth in combat as quickly as other action rpgs. The world is huge and open, but I don't feel like I can customize my interactions with it near as much as in Bethesda games or the Two Worlds games. So for that I'm back in Two Worlds 2, which has a weird control scheme as its downside.

Still want to get back into No Man's Sky, but I'm waiting for a patch that allows me to clear my custom waypoints on the galactic map without visiting them. I made the mistake of going through a black hole and leaving an uncleared waypoint behind. I spent three hours trying to backtrack through normal warping (can't travel backwards through the black hole) but I have no idea how far the black hole took me. That uncleared waypoint is just going to bug me the rest of the playthrough (not to mention take up one of my limited custom waypoint "slots"), so I'm waiting until they fix that, as I hope they will based on other players also complaining of the same issue.

Fallout 4 surprisingly has its hooks fully into me again. I've finished all the quests and basically only have locations to finish discovering while I build my settlements and my Vault. And with the new Vault building options I plan to make every settlement into a Vault-Tec utopia! Who cares about the harshness of the world when you can seal yourself away in a controlled environment! (Hmm. That sounds a lot like Arizona for half the year, actually.)

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on August 29th 2016, 10:31 am

Paeter wrote:
    mikel.withers wrote:I've set aside my World of Tanks for Rome: Total War.
    It is on the older side of video games, 2004+5, but that means it runs smoothly on my older-side desktop.

PC Retro gaming all the way! I don't have the patience or cash to keep a gaming PC tuned up. But I love keeping tabs on what gog.com has and playing some older titles now and then. It's like being a time traveler and using common tech of the future to be a tech-based superhero in the past! (Now all I need are a cool blue and gold suit and some sponsors!)
    If I had the cash, I'd have a state of the art gaming computer...and I'd still play this game on it. Although, I'd probably give Rome II another try, and Warhammer:Total War would be occupying my every waking (and dreaming) moment for a few weeks.
    One thing I like about the older games is that they weren't designed for "fair" competitive online gaming. They were designed for individual use, with an online component. I absolutely detest the rock-paper-scissors style of game development that makes realism of outcome far fetched.
    For instance, you can shoot someone a dozen times with an AK 47 in some games and he'll still keep coming, but in that same game, a swipe with a knife is insta-kill.
    No, give me unbalance, unfair gameplay. If I want to try to take on the juggernaut of Rome with some barbarian tribesmen, then give me the opportunity to do so, there is no need to make sure that my axemen wearing fur loincloths are the equivalent of a Legionary cohort.

Rickster

Post  Rickster on August 29th 2016, 3:31 pm

Paeter wrote:

Had no idea you were such a trophy hunter! Have fun! Do you always go for platinum on the games you play?

Yeah a couple years back I made a new years resolution to get a platinum trophy and I've been hooked ever since. I like the challenge of it (even thought I usually use guides) plus with games being so dang expensive trophy hunting helps you get more out of it.

AdamCollings

Activity : 203
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  AdamCollings on August 29th 2016, 6:37 pm

The only game I'm really playing at the moment is Minecraft. Because ... well ... it's strangely addictive. The blend of survival and creativity kinda does something for me. Also, my kids sometimes join me so it can be a good time together.

I'm building a modern city. Decided it was time to create a nether portal on the weekend, so in true geeky fashion, I constructed a (very crude) re-creation of the SGC from Stargate SG1, and placed the portal in the gate room.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 30th 2016, 9:30 am

AdamCollings wrote:The only game I'm really playing at the moment is Minecraft. Because ... well ... it's strangely addictive. The blend of survival and creativity kinda does something for me. Also, my kids sometimes join me so it can be a good time together.

I'm building a modern city. Decided it was time to create a nether portal on the weekend, so in true geeky fashion, I constructed a (very crude) re-creation of the SGC from Stargate SG1, and placed the portal in the gate room.

Nice! The minecraft gameplay has always called out to me, but I just can't get past the graphical style. So I'm looking forward to getting some of the same type of gameplay with smoother visuals when Dragon Quest Builders comes out in October.

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 2nd 2016, 10:24 am

Fallout 4 still has its hooks in me pretty strongly, and I'm not chasing down all the companion quests (I've preferred to journey solo in this game, but I'm also sometimes a completionist).

Putting the Extra Life video up yesterday has me thinking about that event a lot and realizing I've got a lot more games that I enjoy and would love to come back to now than I have in previous years. (Two Worlds 2, Singularity, Justice League Heroes, Bioshock...) And at least one more that I think I'll really enjoy (Wolfenstein: The New Order, on "crybaby" easy mode or whatever it's called) that I may wait and purchase just for my Extra Life marathon.

In fact I'm tempted to waste time today creating my game list for the marathon! But I've got work to do! (Okay, maybe I'll waste just a little time...)

www.spiritblade.com

UKSteve

Activity : 238

Post  UKSteve on September 2nd 2016, 11:35 am

I've been playing Lego Dimensions on the Wii U a lot - mainly because I got the Ghostbusters and Doctor Who level packs! My 4 year old daughter now loves Wonder Woman as a result of playing her in the game too Smile

I also dug out Sled Storm and a couple of other racing games for my PS1 recently - and tried Gauntlet Legends for the first time. I do love me some retro goodness!

jazzact13

Activity : 185

Post  jazzact13 on September 3rd 2016, 12:03 am

Recently finished the first part of Starcraft II, may get the Zurg expansion in a few weeks.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 6th 2016, 10:31 am

UKSteve wrote:I've been playing Lego Dimensions on the Wii U a lot

I've definitely been thinking about that game to play with my boys, but I'll probably wait until we get them a new console. (Not sure I want them getting my PS4 controllers all sticky.)
    I've heard nothing but great things about it though! And that was surprising since the "toys to life" video game genre was already flooded when it came out. But now Disney Infinity is shutting down and Dimensions is doing awesome! Wow!

Glad you're having fun!

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 6th 2016, 10:33 am

jazzact13 wrote:Recently finished the first part of Starcraft II, may get the Zurg expansion in a few weeks.

Oooh... the first game has been on my bucket list for years. Those games look SOOOOO cool. I'm just afraid I'd get all stressed out since you can't pause the real-time combat like in Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. What difficulty do you play on? What do you play the game for (what do you "get out of it"?)

www.spiritblade.com

UKSteve

Activity : 238

Post  UKSteve on September 6th 2016, 3:26 pm

Paeter wrote:I'll probably wait until we get them a new console. (Not sure I want them getting my PS4 controllers all sticky.)

Yeah, I need to grab a pack of baby wipes before I pick up the Wii pad some days... still, I have to remind myself we got it for them really!

jazzact13

Activity : 185

Post  jazzact13 on September 6th 2016, 11:30 pm

Paeter wrote:
    jazzact13 wrote:Recently finished the first part of Starcraft II, may get the Zurg expansion in a few weeks.

Oooh... the first game has been on my bucket list for years. Those games look SOOOOO cool. I'm just afraid I'd get all stressed out since you can't pause the real-time combat like in Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. What difficulty do you play on? What do you play the game for (what do you "get out of it"?)

I played it at the normal difficulty.

Not sure what I get out of it, expect some enjoyment. One of the first modern games I played was the original Starcraft, and I guess I came to enjoy those kinds of RTS games from there. Another favorite similar game is Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. I don't much play the story lines with it, though, but usually team games with the computer AIs.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 7th 2016, 9:51 am

jazzact13 wrote:

I played it at the normal difficulty.

Not sure what I get out of it, expect some enjoyment. One of the first modern games I played was the original Starcraft, and I guess I came to enjoy those kinds of RTS games from there.

I've heard the original Starcraft still holds up well. Although I think a remaster is coming, maybe? Maybe they'll put the original on sale in the meantime. Mmmm, tempting.

www.spiritblade.com

Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44

Post  Nathan James Norman on September 8th 2016, 2:22 pm

I rarely play video games these days.
    But somehow I ran across "Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius" and I'm hooked.

It's a mobile game, built for mobile devices. It is built around nostalgia. It takes classic RPG characters throughout the FF universe and applies modern game mechanics.

It's free... with lots of things available to buy... but playable without spending money.

There's also an original, on-going story with original characters. That aspect is mediocre, but the experience is wonderful.

Square-Enix also release more levels for the game over time as well as special events.
    There is a "friend" aspect to the game, but FF:BE is mostly a single player experience with new content added regularly.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 12th 2016, 10:03 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:I rarely play video games these days.
    But somehow I ran across "Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius" and I'm hooked.

It's a mobile game, built for mobile devices. It is built around nostalgia. It takes classic RPG characters throughout the FF universe and applies modern game mechanics.

It's free... with lots of things available to buy... but playable without spending money.

There's also an original, on-going story with original characters. That aspect is mediocre, but the experience is wonderful.

Square-Enix also release more levels for the game over time as well as special events.
    There is a "friend" aspect to the game, but FF:BE is mostly a single player experience with new content added regularly.

Thanks for the info! Saw this on E3 coverage and didn't know what to make of it. I'm a Square Enix skeptic these days. Glad this one turned out well!

www.spiritblade.com

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 12th 2016, 10:16 am

Just got back from a gaming weekend with a buddy that we try to do about twice a year. Brought MageKnight the Board Game and my recent purchase "Galaxy Defenders", but we happily just ended up playing Pathfinder The Adventure Card Game all weekend.

It's a game that looks much more complicated at a glance than it is and is able to incorporate so many RPG stats and character growth as well as combat, traps, charisma/wisdom checks... every stat you'd expect to leverage in a full-blown RPG is present, but without the need for a GM who has read and knows a massive tome of rules.

True, the actual "role-play" is absent unless you purposefully bring it to the game. But if you just want the mechanics of an RPG this is a great, smooth play with plenty of depth but that is also easy to shoot the breeze over.

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Post  Rickster on September 12th 2016, 1:22 pm

Oh Nathan's post reminded me that I'm also playing Kingdom Hearts Unchained X. I'm kind of stuck on it until I can streghten my medals (attacks) and/or get better ones which takes time or real money

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 13th 2016, 8:53 am

Rickster wrote:Oh Nathan's post reminded me that I'm also playing Kingdom Hearts Unchained X. I'm kind of stuck on it until I can streghten my medals (attacks) and/or get better ones which takes time or real money

Thanks for defining "medals". Combined with your photo, I would have thought you somehow had to run more marathons to progress in the video game! lol!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on September 14th 2016, 9:34 am

Well, I'm back to World of Tanks.
    I'm over 29000 battles now.
    Having not played for a couple months I both remember why I love it and why I hate it.
    But overall, it just hits the right buttons.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 14th 2016, 9:50 am

mikel.withers wrote:Well, I'm back to World of Tanks.
    I'm over 29000 battles now.

Holy crap! How long is a typical battle?

What keeps you coming back to the game?

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:30 am

Current date/time is December 5th 2016, 9:30 am