The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Alien:Covenant trailer

jazzact13

Activity : 243
    Geek-Cred : 1

Alien:Covenant trailer

Post  jazzact13 on December 27th 2016, 1:09 am

Maybe a bit of a content warning would be good, there is a one bit of profanity, and a shower scene.

I'm a bit iffy about it, based on this trailer. Got some things right, maybe, but it also looks too much like Prometheus. And the shower scene at the end, if you have to appeal to that kind of stuff to draw interest in your movie, well, that's not a good sign.

Not completely writing it off yet, but having serious doubts.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5724
    Geek-Cred : 53

Re: Alien:Covenant trailer

Post  Paeter on December 29th 2016, 5:34 pm

I loved Prometheus (and just watched it again, since it's one of my "Christmas Movies"), so I don't mind it feeling similar. I'm actually not sure I want the Xenomorph from the Ripley series back. I own 5 movies featuring that creature already (6 if you count the cameo in Prometheus). I feel like it's been explored to death and I don't need more tail stabbings, tongue lashings and face-huggers.

What I DO like a lot in this trailer is the body horror. Gory transformations, bugs going into people's ears. More please. Along with anything else we can do to keep this in the sci-fi horror genre rather than action-izing it like they did with the main Alien series a lot after the first one.

www.spiritblade.com

jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 on December 30th 2016, 8:20 pm

I liked the first Alien vs Predator movie, it did well in showing both of them in a good light--the aliens as vicious and cunning killing machine lurking in the shadows, and the predators as fighters with a certain code of honor.

Prometheus hinted at things, but never really got around to putting those things into the movie. Well, there was that huge face hugger at the end, which was just bizarre. And I don't remember the movie explaining what was going on with the disintegrating Engineer at the very first of the movie, or why that happened.
    mikel.withers

Activity : 713
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers on January 2nd 2017, 11:18 am

I don't remember if the movie particularly mentioned it, but the idea (from the disintegrating Engineer) is a concept known as Directed Panspermia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
    Basically, the Engineer was breaking down his genetic material to sow the basic seeds of life onto the barren planet Earth.
    Which also explains why the Engineer at the end briefly looks at the people with pity before going all homicidal, trying to eradicate the failed "harvest" from that original sowing -in a sense they were his people's children.
    One would think that there would be less suicidal manners of distributing an Engineer's genes into a planet. ...dead skin cells, blood samples, etc... but maybe he was also putting his "soul" into the process. (although that seems unlikely with R.Scott's philosophy)

jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 on January 4th 2017, 12:12 am

mikel.withers wrote:I don't remember if the movie particularly mentioned it, but the idea (from the disintegrating Engineer) is a concept known as Directed Panspermia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
    Basically, the Engineer was breaking down his genetic material to sow the basic seeds of life onto the barren planet Earth.
    Which also explains why the Engineer at the end briefly looks at the people with pity before going all homicidal, trying to eradicate the failed "harvest" from that original sowing -in a sense they were his people's children.
    One would think that there would be less suicidal manners of distributing an Engineer's genes into a planet. ...dead skin cells, blood samples, etc... but maybe he was also putting his "soul" into the process. (although that seems unlikely with R.Scott's philosophy)

That makes sense. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I remember waiting for some kind of explanation for what happened, and it either wasn't there, or I missed it, and it's something that bugged me about the movie as a whole.
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on January 4th 2017, 1:48 pm

My dad was/is an old-time sci-fi geek from the 60s and that was a big thing back then...so of course, I've been blessed with having the information dropped on me...in detail...many times.
    Rickster

Activity : 2052
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on January 6th 2017, 6:58 pm

I've never seen any of the alien movies. Should I
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on January 7th 2017, 11:48 pm

Yes.
    The first one is a horror film and the second is more action-oriented.
    Aliens (the second) is my favorite.

After those two... I didn't care for them.
    Reed Benson

Activity : 121
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on January 8th 2017, 10:15 pm

Rickster wrote:I've never seen any of the alien movies. Should I

If you want to see the standard bearer for combining the sci-fi and horror genres, you should see Alien. If you can't stand body horror, though, then maybe you shouldn't. But if you can sit through John Carpenter's The Thing without getting nauseated, then Alien shouldn't be a problem.

And if you can make it through Alien, then Aliens is as good a sequel as you'll find anywhere, especially if you want more action with your horror and sci-fi.

I think it's better if we pretend that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection don't exist, or at least aren't canon.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 11th 2017, 10:58 am

Reed Benson wrote:if you can sit through John Carpenter's The Thing without getting nauseated, then Alien shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's better if we pretend that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection don't exist, or at least aren't canon.

The Thing is the best...horror movie...EVER! Whenever I make a new friend and feel like things are going well, I make our budding friendship official by inviting them over to watch The Thing if they haven't seen it yet. In fact it's an understood policy in our home that you can't be a truly close friend of mine if you haven't seen John Carpenter's The Thing.

I'm with you on Resurrection. A weird, interesting movie, but not quite what I want. As for Alien 3, I stand by the extended cut, though not the theatrical. Returns to its horror roots more and also just functions as an interesting sci-fi movie. In fact one potential strength of the franchise is that each movie is so different from the others. They lack a consistent "vibe", but if you're willing to just approach them as apples and oranges when comparing, you might enjoy them more for what they each uniquely offer.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 121
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on January 13th 2017, 6:48 am

I don't like body horror, but I liked The Thing because of the atmosphere, the tension, the understated music, and Kurt Russell. Oh, and Wilford Brimley! The first time I tried to watch it, I'd just gotten takeout and was about to eat when I turned it on during the dog cage scene. I had to change the channel or else I wouldn't have been able to finish my dinner. But I manned up a few years later and watched the whole thing after hearing how seminal it was.

I still don't plan on watching the 1986 reboot of The Fly anytime soon, though. pale
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 13th 2017, 9:03 am

Reed Benson wrote:I don't like body horror, but I liked The Thing because of the atmosphere, the tension, the understated music, and Kurt Russell. Oh, and Wilford Brimley!

Yeah the paranoia is actually what makes the body horror work so well. It's like an intense build up that crescendos when someone explodes into a bloody gore-monster.
    And I think I have some kind of long-standing man-crush on Kurt Russel. He just plays the everyman so well and seems to always pick great movies to be in. That or he somehow makes them great. So her'e hoping for that magic with Guardians 2!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 17th 2017, 4:56 am