The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Should Prayer Requests and/or Prayer Be A Part Of The SBU Podcast?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6525
    Geek-Cred : 56

Should Prayer Requests and/or Prayer Be A Part Of The SBU Podcast?

Post  Paeter on January 20th 2017, 11:47 am

I've never made prayer a part of the SBU podcast. I had a reason for that early on though I can't remember now what it was.

Today I just thought again about the possibility of sharing prayer requests from these forums on the podcast each week. I think it could help further build our connection to each other as a community. I also think it can help put our enjoyment and focus on entertainment in its proper place.

The downside is that there may be some prayer requests that, for any number of reasons I can't anticipate, would be appropriate to have here on the forums but that I wouldn't want to share on the podcast. Additionally, if prayer requests were to grow significantly I might not be able to share them all on the show without giving significant time to it.

I realize that the knee-jerk reaction may be to say "Yes! Include prayer requests on the podcast!" It both seems right and certainly feels more "spiritual". But I also want to be sensitive to the purpose and focus of the show(an examination and celebration of geekery and geek entertainment), and not create a weekly segment that people will tune out from or feel bad when their prayer request is not included.

Additionally, I'm wondering about whether or not to actually pray for each request on the show if I go forward with mentioning them each week. I think praying for them would have the same benefits and potential shortcomings of simply mentioning each prayer request.

Would love some feedback and suggestions on this.

Thanks guys!

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Activity : 713
    Geek-Cred : 9

Re: Should Prayer Requests and/or Prayer Be A Part Of The SBU Podcast?

Post  mikel.withers on January 22nd 2017, 8:49 am

Personally, I wouldn't.
    I tend to binge consume podcasts and so forth, and prayer requests aren't always going to be evergreen.
    Also, as a kid, I was only allowed to partake of "Christian" media. There might be kids out there who are into geek culture but aren't allowed to get podcasts that aren't specifically Christian so they might be "stuck" with you... or just a curious skeptic wondering how we Church folk might view a movie or game... as such, being something they can relate to is , to me, more important, more subversive, or as Jason Rennie would say "superversive".
    and now I have a desire to watch Moby's Run On video for some reason.
    fxruizx

Activity : 166
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx on January 22nd 2017, 1:01 pm

That is a dilema and given Mikel's feedback I am inclined to agree not to include them, even though I do think it could build community - but maybe that apparatus for building community is just better suited for the meat-space and places like this forum where there is a higher level of intimacy.

As a wild-eyed (or is it wide-eyed) idea for a way that you could include maybe one prayer request per show would be: find a character in geek fiction (movies/tv/books) and a bible character that had a similar struggle/situation to the prayer request, and how they dealt with it. Seems like a lot of work but I would love to listen to something like that Wink
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 649
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on January 23rd 2017, 10:02 am

The compromise here would be to point listeners to the prayer thread in the forum. Mention there are prayer requests and that people can list their own if they desire.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 24th 2017, 9:31 am

jorowi wrote:The compromise here would be to point listeners to the prayer thread in the forum. Mention there are prayer requests and that people can list their own if they desire.

That sounds like a pretty good solution. I think it might be my default for now.

Still VERY flexible open to additional thoughts on this topic, though! Thanks guys!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on January 24th 2017, 5:12 pm

A whole bunch of good thoughts here.

I agree that sharing prayer points, and maybe even praying "on air" would be powerful for community building, and help place a higher importance on relationships.

I also see that this material would become out of date very quickly, and that it could turn off seekers who dip into the podcast to see what it's all about.

If it were to be included, I think near the end after "In Search of Truth"would be a good place for it.
    At my church, we have cards that we can submit prayer points. These are all prayed for by our prayer team over the week, but during the next Sunday service, they pray a summarised prayer with names removed, while displaying the prayer points on screen so people can add their additional more detailed prayers. Maybe a similar thing could work?

If nothing else, point people toward to forums is a reasonable solution.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 25th 2017, 11:19 am

AdamCollings wrote:A whole bunch of good thoughts here.

I agree that sharing prayer points, and maybe even praying "on air" would be powerful for community building, and help place a higher importance on relationships.

I also see that this material would become out of date very quickly, and that it could turn off seekers who dip into the podcast to see what it's all about.

If it were to be included, I think near the end after "In Search of Truth"would be a good place for it.
    At my church, we have cards that we can submit prayer points. These are all prayed for by our prayer team over the week, but during the next Sunday service, they pray a summarised prayer with names removed, while displaying the prayer points on screen so people can add their additional more detailed prayers. Maybe a similar thing could work?

If nothing else, point people toward to forums is a reasonable solution.

That actually sounds really cool! Maybe I could pray a brief one or two sentence prayer regarding the nature of needs in our community without mentioning names and then refer people to forums?

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Activity : 713
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers on January 25th 2017, 12:57 pm

I like that.
    Praying that we have strength and self control is going to be timeless, but praying that "Steve" gets his house sold before he has to start paying for his new house's mortgage is going to be less so.
    fxruizx

Activity : 166
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx on February 6th 2017, 9:19 am

I really liked how you handled the prayer section a couple weeks ago Paeter, to the point that I missed it in last weeks episode Smile. But great interview BTW Very Happy
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 6th 2017, 9:59 am

fxruizx wrote:I really liked how you handled the prayer section a couple weeks ago Paeter, to the point that I missed it in last weeks episode Smile. But great interview BTW Very Happy

Thanks, Francisco! I didn't see any new prayer requests when I checked before recording last week. But my plan is to include prayer any week that I see new prayer requests or when an OP updates their request.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 649
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on February 17th 2017, 10:44 am

Paeter wrote:…my plan is to include prayer any week that I see new prayer requests or when an OP updates their request.

You could also throw out a stand-in prayer for health & prosperity and ask for Jesus to make our lives easier. Wink

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 21st 2017, 10:17 am

jorowi wrote:
    Paeter wrote:…my plan is to include prayer any week that I see new prayer requests or when an OP updates their request.

You could also throw out a stand-in prayer for health & prosperity and ask for Jesus to make our lives easier. Wink

lol of the morning, "Joel"! Thanks for that.

(For the record, everyone, I'm not opposed to praying that kind of prayer. But as I think John is getting at, we miss out on a lot of what God has for us if comfort, security and prosperity are the ongoing top priority in our prayer lives.)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 14th 2018, 10:56 am