The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

The SCP Foundation

Morfinwen

Activity : 43
    Geek-Cred : 1

The SCP Foundation

Post  Morfinwen on February 18th 2017, 5:09 am

I've thought about starting a thread on this topic for a while. The tricky part is describing what the SCP Foundation is. Or at least, being succinct in doing so.

In-universe, the Foundation is a covert, quasi-governmental global organization dedicated to securing, containing, and protecting anomalous persons, places, things, and phenomena; usually it's protecting the world from the anomalies, sometimes it's protecting the anomalies form the world, and occasionally it's both.

In real-world terms, the SCP Foundation is a collaborative creative writing website, centered on the Foundation, its personnel, and the anomalies it contains, with very high standards for its articles. Works on the site are mostly secure containment procedures for a specific anomaly (typically referred to as SCPs or sometimes 'skips') -- said procedures typically focus more on describing the SCP in question rather than how to contain it, now that i think about it, but the description is the really interesting part anyway. The second most common works are Tales, which are more typical prose; usually, anyway. They can be a bit more broad in topic, sometimes not ever directly referencing the Foundation itself, but there's always some degree of connection. There are also joke SCPs, which are written like regular SCPs except they're intended to be funny.

The site has inspired various forms spin-offs, mostly in the form of audio readings on youtube or translations into other languages. It got a big boost in popularity when someone created an indie horror game based off of it, called "SCP Containment Breach", which was played by a couple famous LetsPlayers. I don't remember the exact numbers, but i think the increase has been something like as many new members in a month as they used to get in an entire year.

Yeah, see, "succinct" has never been a strong point for me.

The overall tone of the site is fairly grim -- the Foundation is a very dark gray organization in a very bleak universe -- but it's still the sort of site where you can go from laughing to creeped out to going "awwww" in the space of the same page. The writing quality is very high, even when i don't necessarily like a particular work.

If you're interested, i linked to the site above, but here's a few of my personal favorites:
    The Sculpture - the first one ever written
    The Stairwell
    Red Sea Object - very very long, but very very good
    I Am a Toaster
    The Lost Cosmonaut
    Also, Carthage Must Be Destroyed
    It Wasn't There
    Exbibliothetic

A couple of advisories: while there's no explicit sex or (usually?) violence, this is a site aimed at adults by other adults, so there are pages that deal with really ugly stuff, and not in the best way. There's a fair amount connected to religion, and not always positively. Overall it's probably not any worse than certain other popular websites out there (reddit comes to mind), and may in fact be better in some regards, but certainly a place to be on alert if you're going to browse.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5657
    Geek-Cred : 52

Re: The SCP Foundation

Post  Paeter on February 21st 2017, 10:03 am

Morfinwen wrote:

In-universe, the Foundation is a covert, quasi-governmental global organization dedicated to securing, containing, and protecting anomalous persons, places, things, and phenomena; usually it's protecting the world from the anomalies, sometimes it's protecting the anomalies form the world, and occasionally it's both.

Sorry, I'm lost. When you say "In universe", what universe are you talking about? Is this a fictional organization in an anime series or something?

www.spiritblade.com
    Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on March 7th 2017, 4:03 am

Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, posting is hard for me sometimes.

By "in-universe", i mean "in the universe in which the Foundation exists". Like, in-universe, the Jedi are a mostly respected, semi-extinct order of peacekeepers who use the Force; out of universe, they're a fictional group of space monks.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 7th 2017, 9:11 am

Morfinwen wrote:Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, posting is hard for me sometimes.

By "in-universe", i mean "in the universe in which the Foundation exists". Like, in-universe, the Jedi are a mostly respected, semi-extinct order of peacekeepers who use the Force; out of universe, they're a fictional group of space monks.

I checked out the link. Interesting! So it's a mock-real website that you, as a user, pretend is real as you surf through it? Like watching a mockumentary or something like that?

www.spiritblade.com
    Morfinwen

Post  Morfinwen on March 10th 2017, 1:40 am

Paeter wrote:I checked out the link. Interesting! So it's a mock-real website that you, as a user, pretend is real as you surf through it? Like watching a mockumentary or something like that?

Essentially. The main articles are presented as the Foundation's database of containment procedures, test logs, etc., so in that sense the reader is intended to be a Foundation scientist, guard, researcher, what-have-you getting the necessary info on the anomaly they're guarding/capturing/studying/whatever.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 10th 2017, 9:41 am

Morfinwen wrote:
    Paeter wrote:I checked out the link. Interesting! So it's a mock-real website that you, as a user, pretend is real as you surf through it? Like watching a mockumentary or something like that?

Essentially. The main articles are presented as the Foundation's database of containment procedures, test logs, etc., so in that sense the reader is intended to be a Foundation scientist, guard, researcher, what-have-you getting the necessary info on the anomaly they're guarding/capturing/studying/whatever.

So cool! I've been playing around the idea of a future audio drama I produce having a similar gimmick, where the audio tracks are a series of audio logs, podcast eps and other audio material the listener (conceptually a blind psychiatrist being asked to take on a new case) can sort through non-linearly if they want to piece together the story.

LOVE that idea for a website! Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is July 25th 2017, 1:33 pm