The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Need To Find The Right House...Fast

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6525
    Geek-Cred : 56

Need To Find The Right House...Fast

Post  Paeter on March 10th 2017, 9:52 am

Wow. Before I had a chance to ask for prayer about it, WE GOT AN OFFER ON OUR HOUSE!!!! PRAISE YAHWEH!!!!

Only 3 days on the market and the buyer wants to move into escrow asap, so we're very happy and feeling ridiculously "gracified" by God. Of course now we also need to kick our search for a new home into high gear! They want to close by April 19th!

Our reason for moving is basically aimed at having more space. Both from neighbors (tight small lots in our current neighborhood) and from each other (we both work from home and have two noisy boys). We want a home that will allow our work, our rest and our capacity for hospitality to all be increasingly effective and useful to God's purposes for work, rest and hospitality.

We've only gone out looking one day so far but haven't found what we're looking for yet. We'd really appreciate prayer for the right house to be found quickly that will serve all of those ends.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Re: Need To Find The Right House...Fast

Post  Paeter on March 13th 2017, 8:59 am

We're feeling pretty discouraged right now. After three long days of looking at houses we've pretty much exhausted the options currently on the market. The next option is to buy land and build, which may be too expensive for us, but we're looking in to it... as the clock continues ticking every moment of the day.

Doesn't help that our boys are home on break this week, so work is mostly off the table (I'll squeeze out the podcast, a review video and an already edited gaming video, so you guys shouldn't notice a thing) and house hunting and problem solving is difficult with them in the mix.

Unless the right house comes on the market very soon, we may be looking at a couple months with the four of us crammed into the camping trailer in my parents' back yard. The option is a great financial blessing, but it will be very stressful and exhausting. The longest we would do that would be a couple months, and then switch to renting somewhere after that, which would also be very disappointing, but would at least give us our own space while we continue finding our long term solution.

Anyway, we've only ever lived in the house we will very soon have to leave. So this is all new and happening both very fast and not fast enough. It pretty much is the only thing occupying our minds, which makes the stress hard to get away from.

This is one of those times where the rubber meets the road in our faith. And while I know I'm more grounded in truth and handling this better than I would have years ago, the truth of God's sufficient grace is still hard to remember more than fleetingly in the midst of the mess.

Prayer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on March 13th 2017, 5:18 pm

Prayed.
    I love how you and Holly want to use you house for God's glory. I am sure he will honour the desires of your heart, which are in alignment with his heart.
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 833
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on March 13th 2017, 6:57 pm

Praying for you and your family.

Activity : 713
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers on March 14th 2017, 10:09 am

Will do.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 14th 2017, 10:34 am

Thanks so much guys. Yesterday I adjusted our search parameters experimentally (shrank our minimum lot size a bit) and a bunch of great looking houses showed up that we will be looking at today. But the lot size was a core value of Holly's, so I want to be careful.

Currently, the lots in our neighborhood are so small that with a running start almost anyone could jump out the window of one house and land safely in the neighbor's window. That kind of close proximity (and the noise and lack of privacy that comes with it) has been something Holly has been eager to get away from. But I'm hoping that we don't need the lot size she was originally hoping for to achieve the same effective relief from that current problem. We won't really know until we just walk on these properties for ourselves, which means yet another long marathon day of walking through houses. And with our boys on spring break we have to bring them along. (Imagine trying to make a decision that will drastically effect your lives for the next 15-20 years while two little boys are laughing loudly, touching things they shouldn't or whining and arguing.)

Anyway, thanks again for your prayers and we'd appreciate any more you bring to Jesus on our behalf.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 46

Post  Nathan James Norman on March 14th 2017, 11:11 am

Paeter wrote:Thanks so much guys. Yesterday I adjusted our search parameters experimentally (shrank our minimum lot size a bit) and a bunch of great looking houses showed up that we will be looking at today. But the lot size was a core value of Holly's, so I want to be careful.

Currently, the lots in our neighborhood are so small that with a running start almost anyone could jump out the window of one house and land safely in the neighbor's window. That kind of close proximity (and the noise and lack of privacy that comes with it) has been something Holly has been eager to get away from. But I'm hoping that we don't need the lot size she was originally hoping for to achieve the same effective relief from that current problem. We won't really know until we just walk on these properties for ourselves, which means yet another long marathon day of walking through houses. And with our boys on spring break we have to bring them along. (Imagine trying to make a decision that will drastically effect your lives for the next 15-20 years while two little boys are laughing loudly, touching things they shouldn't or whining and arguing.)

Anyway, thanks again for your prayers and we'd appreciate any more you bring to Jesus on our behalf.

Praying for you and Holly deeply.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 15th 2017, 10:40 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:

Praying for you and Holly deeply.

Thanks so much. Yesterday didn't go so great. A number of the houses I wanted to see were already under contract. I took another shot at adjusting parameters and we're going to look again today, but if we don't find "the one" on this outing we're probably looking at a waiting game and some back yard trailer life at my parent's house. And possibly also a further reexamination of our negotiable elements for a new house.

But even as we face a challenging potential living situation, and troubleshoot what that might look like, I'm slowly gaining a degree of contentment. Still, it comes and goes as in my weakness I just naturally fail to trust in Jesus for my needs. (And also fail to truly understand the definition of "needs".)

So continued prayer for contentment in the sufficient grace of Jesus, and for our direction (both today and in the coming weeks) as we decide how to proceed, would be greatly appreciated.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 15th 2017, 10:42 am

Oh, and prayer for a babysitter if you happen to see this before noon today! We could really use a babysitter to watch the boys so I can hear myself think easier as we look at houses. Yesterday we went through a house with very live acoustics (lots of tile), barking caged dogs and two little boys who were getting antsy.

I barely remember what that house even looked like.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 649
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on March 15th 2017, 12:27 pm

My wife and I were in a similar situation before we bought our current home. We had a growing family (only 3 kids at the time) and needed a home where we could grow. Prayed that you and Holly would find a home that would meet your needs and be in the right price range.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 16th 2017, 11:43 am

Thanks, John.

UPDATE:
    We are seriously considering making an offer on a house, possibly as soon as today. Crunching numbers, making phone calls and all that info-gathering stuff. It's that scary space of seeing that our best option still isn't the "dream home" but it's much better than all other current options and may be swallowed up if we wait too long.

A challenging decision to make.

Please pray for Holly and I to be in unity, die to ourselves, think clearly and experience peace regarding whichever route we choose or whatever may happen outside our control.

Thanks so much.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 16th 2017, 6:14 pm

UPDATE:

We submitted an offer on the house and are giving the seller until tomorrow at 4pm MTN Standard to reply. We think the offer is a good one that will bless both parties and are praying they will not want to drag things out with negotiations and counter-offers.

Meanwhile, our home has finished inspection by parties on behalf of our buyers and everything looks good. After coming this far and paying for inspections, our expectation is that the buyers will continue seeing this through to the end.

If all goes well, we will close on both deals on April 19th and not have to be homeless in the 5th wheel behind my parents' house and/or move everything we own twice.

Will try to update more as I'm able.

Thank you for your continued prayer!

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on March 17th 2017, 9:28 am

Still praying for your family.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 17th 2017, 9:41 am

mikel.withers wrote:Still praying for your family.

Thank you so much!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 17th 2017, 5:02 pm

UPDATE:

Our offer was accepted! Praise Yahweh!

Holly and I are both excited and relieved. Since the inspection on our current home seemed to go well we don't anticipate any problems going forward on the sale of our home. So assuming our inspections go well on the house we're buying, the big day will be April 19th, when we will do a simultaneous close on both deals and finish the day in our new home!

The timing works out really well for my work, as there is nothing major being released in geek entertainment that week, so I should be able to create content for a week or two in advance and have up to a week or so where I can completely focus on the move without interrupting content flow either.

Much to be grateful for. And while it's not over till it's over, we don't anticipate any problems going forward.

Thank you all so much for your prayers.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 46

Post  Nathan James Norman on March 17th 2017, 5:27 pm

Praise God!
    We were praying for you as a church yesterday morning.
    I have no biblical data for this, but in my experience, old ladies pray the best.
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 833
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on March 17th 2017, 11:32 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:I have no biblical data for this, but in my experience, old ladies pray the best.

This made me lol!

Because I agree.

Post  Paeter on March 20th 2017, 9:13 am

Thanks so much, you guys!

UPDATE:

We are meeting with our financial adviser tomorrow so he can maybe help us "close some doors" on other kinds of properties that are still floating in our minds. We think the house we're in the process of buying is great, but we just want to be sure to rule out ever other option before the point of no return. This Friday night is our cutoff, at which time we will unsubscribe from all house listing services and strictly enforce a "no more online house browsing" policy.

Over the weekend we had some prolonged emotional stress as we were second guessing ourselves on whether or not we had truly exhausted all options. The meeting with our adviser will be great I think. We want to leverage all our financial options, but Holly and I have made it a priority since day one to live within our means and avoid stress over money. So we're making sure not to pine for houses that will have us living in financial tension.

Anyway, key days this week are Tuesday morning (meeting with financial adviser) and Friday night (cut-off for considering other houses).

Thanks again for your prayers, everyone. I think the worst part may be over, but we want to finish well.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on March 20th 2017, 12:37 pm

Clausewitz once said, "The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 649
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on March 21st 2017, 8:25 am

I would put a video here of my doing a happy-dance for you but that would break the Intertubes.

Glad to hear God is answering your prayers!

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 21st 2017, 9:14 am

mikel.withers wrote:Clausewitz once said, "The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

So true. That's why I think this meeting with our financial adviser today will be great for us. When it's done we'll have a hard number to use as a line in the sand that we can't cross unless we want to introduce financial stress into our lives. So really this step is mostly about eliminating the "dream of a 'perfect' plan" that would only get us in trouble.

Wow! I've never been excited to have dreams destroyed!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 21st 2017, 9:16 am

jorowi wrote:I would put a video here of my doing a happy-dance for you but that would break the Intertubes.

Glad to hear God is answering your prayers!

Thanks, John! As of today our buyers are also now "locked in" to the purchase of our house. (They can back out, but at major financial cost to themselves.) So we're very happy to be at that stage and to also have a home secured for us that we are both excited about moving into.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 14th 2018, 5:53 pm