The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

First midnight showing?

Rickster

Activity : 2043
    Geek-Cred : 16

First midnight showing?

Post  Rickster on May 10th 2017, 3:50 pm

What was the first movie that you went to the midnight showing for?

Mine was Lost World: Jurassic Park and I was in JR high and was grounded so my two friends and I did everything we could to convince her to let me go.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 383
    Geek-Cred : 2

Re: First midnight showing?

Post  AdamCollings on May 10th 2017, 7:15 pm

I've never been to a midnight showing of a movie. Don't think they're overly common down here.

I did attend the very first showing of Star Trek First Contact in my city. It was mid-afternoon. I was so excited I couldn't eat my lunch. What a nerd!
    mikel.withers

Activity : 713
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers on May 11th 2017, 8:25 am

Episode 1

In retrospect... that could be why I haven't gone to another.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5655
    Geek-Cred : 52

Post  Paeter on May 11th 2017, 9:31 am

My memory sucks. It might have been episode 1. I want to say a friend had tickets for that, because it wasn't something I would have pursued.

The first I remember pursuing and attending myself for sure would be The Matrix: Reloaded. After that I've been to a Harry Potter with my sister because she's a big fan, but otherwise I avoid them. Cool to be with other fans, but sometimes those showings attract a breed of fans that don't know the value of containing their excitement so that others can enjoy (or even just HEAR!!!) the movie, too.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on May 11th 2017, 10:22 am

Fascinating.
    Paeter wrote:Cool to be with other fans, but sometimes those showings attract a breed of fans that don't know the value of containing their excitement so that others can enjoy (or even just HEAR!!!) the movie, too.
    To me, that is part of the theater experience.
    When I was watching Rogue One, and I (unconsciously) blurted out "Blue milk!" and heard a couple other reactions, I felt a connection with a complete stranger. Now, that is different than the running commentary from the Mystery Science Theater wannabees down front, so there is that..., but for the most part I enjoy being caught in the communal emotion or reaction to a movie.
    And then, if I like it, I'll rent it later and watch it in more detail.
    Did other people's audible reactions to GotGvol2 confuse and dismay you? I mean, there were about twenty people in the theater I saw it in and there was quite a bit of ...let's call it: shared experience. I can't imagine what a hundred people in a theater would have been like.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 383
    Geek-Cred : 2

Post  AdamCollings on May 11th 2017, 6:09 pm

mikel.withers wrote:
    To me, that is part of the theater experience.

Yeah that experience can certainly build your energy. Too much would be annoying though, so I probably sit half way between you guys.

I once had the inverse experience. Wife and I went to see Superman Returns. We laughed out loud at every subtle (and not-so-subtle) reference to the Richard Donner movie. We realised later, that we were the only ones laughing. I felt very proud of my geekiness that day.
    Reed Benson

Activity : 108
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on May 11th 2017, 7:09 pm

Hard to remember which one was first, but it has been a long time since I've seen a movie at that time. I remember I went to midnight showings of Spider-Man 2, The Matrix Reloaded, and maybe Return of the King. I think there were more, but those are the only ones I can recall.

I remember when my friends and I went to Spider-Man 2, before the previews, someone yelled out, "My wallet's been stolen!" or somesuch, and a dude in a Spider-Man costume (with long hair coming out of the back of the mask) jumped out and I guess caught the thief or whatever (it was all staged, of course). Then another guy came out and said, "Holy Batman, Spider-Man!" and Spider-Man hit him with a jumping knee for some reason. So that's about the only fun thing that happened at a showing.

I couldn't do it these days. I usually go to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 on most nights.
    Rickster

Activity : 2043
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on May 12th 2017, 12:26 am

Reed Benson wrote:
    I remember when my friends and I went to Spider-Man 2, before the previews, someone yelled out, "My wallet's been stolen!" or somesuch, and a dude in a Spider-Man costume (with long hair coming out of the back of the mask) jumped out and I guess caught the thief or whatever (it was all staged, of course). Then another guy came out and said, "Holy Batman, Spider-Man!" and Spider-Man hit him with a jumping knee for some reason. So that's about the only fun thing that happened at a showing.

The only thing I had happen was when I saw Episode 2 a guy would give us a count down like !0 minutes until Star Was.
    My friend told me when he saw Episode 3 some guys did a staged lightsaber fight.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 12th 2017, 10:08 am

mikel.withers wrote:
    Did other people's audible reactions to GotGvol2 confuse and dismay you? I mean, there were about twenty people in the theater I saw it in and there was quite a bit of ...let's call it: shared experience. I can't imagine what a hundred people in a theater would have been like.

I go on Friday mornings (getting ready to head out in an hour or so!) and purposefully go to a theater that has lower traffic and quieter customers. So most times I get the crowd vibe I'm fine with, which includes laughter, gasps or other noises rather than words, exclamations, etc.

At Guardians 2 my audience laughed far less than the audience with me for the first one. So we were maybe all just a little more in synch this time. But these days it's not confusion so much when I'm in a different place than the audience on humor. I just smile, shrug and think "Okay! I don't get it, but I'm glad folks are having fun!"

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 12th 2017, 10:10 am

mikel.withers wrote:for the most part I enjoy being caught in the communal emotion or reaction to a movie.
    And then, if I like it, I'll rent it later and watch it in more detail.

I'm with you, but in the opposite order. Pure viewing experience first, then I buy the movie if I like it and share the experience with others in my home at some point, where we have the freedom to pause and go back if anyone has a comment, etc.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on May 12th 2017, 1:28 pm

I'm a very introverted person. (forums like this fulfill most of my socializing needs) But occasionally I feel the urge to be a part of a community. I know church should fill that role, but I find the other people there distracting from my worship. ...yeah, that is on me, not them...
    When I was younger I loved going to the mall and just walking around. It was about an hour away, so going there was an event. I'd hang out in the arcade (loved that bit in the movie) and I would leave exhausted but contented. A movie does about the same thing for me. I don't need to invest much, and I don't demand much, but I am once again part of the human race.
    Now, granted, I would rather watch a Silence or the like on my own without other people interfering, but a summer blockbuster is custom made for community.

jazzact13

Activity : 242
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  jazzact13 on May 13th 2017, 1:09 am

I think it might have been Matrix: Reloaded.

Sadly, none of the nearby theaters do midnight showings, or do them very rarely.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is July 23rd 2017, 11:55 pm