The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Praise Points

AdamCollings

Activity : 874
    Geek-Cred : 6

Praise Points

Post  AdamCollings on August 14th 2017, 6:54 pm

I just realised, we should totally have a praise points thread on here.
    This community is great at sharing prayer points, and actually praying for each other when we say we will, but I think it could be equally important for us to share the victories with each other. We are told to approach God with thanksgiving.

(not sure if prayer requests is the right sub-forum for this, so you might want to move it somewhere else Peater)
    AdamCollings

Re: Praise Points

Post  AdamCollings on August 14th 2017, 6:58 pm

I'll start the ball rolling with something that's not at all super-spiritual.

We got our tax refund yesterday, and we have officially paid off our cruise! It's all starting to get a lot more real, which is very exciting.
    I sometimes wonder if I'm being too indulgent taking my family on a cruise ship, but then I remember what my pastor always says about how he prefers to give his family experiences rather than material things. This will be an amazing experience for our kids. Very educational, seeing another country, being surrounded by another culture. They'll remember it for the rest of their lives.
    So, praise God for the provision of our jobs, and the money we've managed to save for this adventure.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6675
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on August 15th 2017, 9:35 am

AdamCollings wrote:I just realised, we should totally have a praise points thread on here.
    This community is great at sharing prayer points, and actually praying for each other when we say we will, but I think it could be equally important for us to share the victories with each other. We are told to approach God with thanksgiving.

(not sure if prayer requests is the right sub-forum for this, so you might want to move it somewhere else Peater)

Great idea! So easy for me to focus on my needs and the negative that I lose sight of how God has already been faithful and gracious. (I think the thread is right at home in this space for now. I'll let you all know if my thinking changes on that.)

As much as I can worry about the future, I want to praise Yahweh for the things I have today that I'm not entitled to:

A body that functions without crippling pain.
    Opportunity to be useful to others in their spiritual growth.
    Financial resources to have food, medicine, fuel and a home.
    Beautiful and precious boys who place their trust in Jesus for forgiveness and have tender, affectionate hearts.
    A gorgeous wife who is even more beautiful in her character and commitment to daily walk with Jesus.
    A local church committed to the Bible and helping people seek truth and recapture the kind of true life we're meant to experience.
    People in our church who are willing to mentor or walk alongside me to invest in my growth.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on August 15th 2017, 10:24 am

Our time in the U.S. (we're going back to China in about a week).
    My hometown's public library system.
    The fact that I have no cavities when I thought for sure I was going to need at least one root canal!
    Our recent weather, especially how the rain has avoided us when we've travelled and spent long periods outside.
    Pretty much everything about my home church in America.
    The overt faith of a lot of the people I see at my church in China (which is actually an official, State-regulated church).
    My job back in China and the people I'm blessed to work with.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 16th 2017, 8:53 am

Reed Benson wrote:
    The overt faith of a lot of the people I see at my church in China (which is actually an official, State-regulated church).

I've heard that some amazing things have been happening in the body of Christ in China in recent years! Thanks for the reminder! I'd love to pick your brain regarding your experience of that sometime! Praise Yahweh!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on August 16th 2017, 12:48 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:

I've heard that some amazing things have been happening in the body of Christ in China in recent years! Thanks for the reminder! I'd love to pick your brain regarding your experience of that sometime! Praise Yahweh!

PM me or email my Gmail account (if you still have it). I probably shouldn't post about it too publicly.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 17th 2017, 10:19 am

Reed Benson wrote:[I've heard that some amazing things have been happening in the body of Christ in China in recent years! Thanks for the reminder! I'd love to pick your brain regarding your experience of that sometime! Praise Yahweh!

PM me or email my Gmail account (if you still have it). I probably shouldn't post about it too publicly.[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on August 20th 2017, 3:14 pm

I was rededicated at church today. I was baptized/dedicated as an infant, so today I basically "remembered my baptism" and reaffirmed what I was baptized for.

And at the end of service, the pastor got my wife to come up and say the Lord's Prayer in Mandarin.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 21st 2017, 10:57 am

Reed Benson wrote:I was rededicated at church today. I was baptized/dedicated as an infant, so today I basically "remembered my baptism" and reaffirmed what I was baptized for.

And at the end of service, the pastor got my wife to come up and say the Lord's Prayer in Mandarin.

That sounds like a really cool "marker" on the timeline of your faith. Something you can look back on and use to remember what God has done for you. Praise Yahweh! He is good!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on December 18th 2017, 5:39 pm

I'd like to Praise God for the supportive community that is Christian Geek Central.
    There is a genuine care and concern for each other in this place.
    Plus, it's so much fun geeking out together throughout the year.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 8th 2018, 2:47 pm

I want to praise Yahweh for allowing me to engage in things of eternal significance. I think of my boys, my wife, my relationships and service opportunities at our church. God is at work in so many lives and for little moments here and there he allows me to be "swapped into rotation" among the various people and events he is using to bring about moments that will be celebrated in eternity.

I can't wait to see the details of how he has orchestrated so many things!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on January 9th 2018, 5:27 pm

I want to Thank God for the provision of a new house, and for supportive, generous parents, who are going to help us "make it all work"

The house has three bedrooms, so my almost teenage daughter will no longer have to share with her little brother.
    It's a two-minute walk from the kid's school (rather than a 40 minute bus trip all over the city)
    It has a garage, sealed with plaster inside which will make a nice office for me. I plan to paint one wall green to use as a green screen.
    It's in the same suburb as my parents which will make baby-sitting a lot easier.
    It's close to my son's best friend's place.
    It's a much nicer neighbourhood, so we won't have to worry about having ornaments stolen from our front yard by drunk bogans late at night.
    The master bedroom has an ensuite with toilet and shower. A luxury, to be sure, but nice.
    The house is in great condition and doesn't really need anything done to it.

Settlement is 15th of February, so we're busy reducing our belongings in preparation for moving. (which feels great. I always felt like I was suffocating in stuff before)
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 702

Post  jorowi on January 10th 2018, 9:49 am

I want to praise God for the 35 pounds (~16kg/2.5 stones) I've lost since September. 15-20 lbs (~7-9 kg/.5 stones) more and I'll be at my goal weight.

I put on about 5 lbs in December but I'm back on track!

Side note: I'm exploring the science behind intermittent fasting (which helped me lose weight). Christians are called to fast and pray but so many of us don't because of the way it makes us feel. Fasting should actually help us focus and bring clarity to our thoughts. A lot of it has to do with how our diets affect insulin levels and blood sugar.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 10th 2018, 10:12 am

Wow, Adam! So much to be thankful for in that! Praying that it all goes forward smoothly and will provide some respite from all you've been struggling through lately.

John, this is interesting timing. The idea of fasting came back to my mind yesterday and I brought up the topic with Holly. I've hardly practiced fasting at all in my life. But I think that fasting and/or some form of strict dietary boundaries might be a spiritual discipline God wants me to develop. In my mind it's always been a messy issue, because my flesh whispers "this could make you look better, too!" But I think I need to stop letting concerns of my sin keep me from engaging in a discipline and just go into it with repentance and awareness of grace at the ready.

So please feel free to update me/us on your findings regarding fasting! I'd love to hear about what you're doing and anything that has helped you in the midst of temptation. I think dietary stuff is another one of those issues that isn't unique to Geeks by any means, but seems to exist among us more commonly than folks with other interests/hobbies.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on January 10th 2018, 8:12 pm

Wow. That's an impressive achievement John. Well done.
    I've lost 3 Kg (6.6 pounds) since Christmas. It's a start.

Fasting is interesting. It was a big thing in the bible, but it's not a spiritual discipline that is often practiced, or ever talked about much, by western Christians.
    I guess the idea of denying yourself lovely food just sounds sucky, so we conveniently forget about it. Plus, fasting is really not part of our culture, as it was more in those days, which makes it a bit embarrasing to say "Oh, no thanks. I'm fasting."
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on January 11th 2018, 12:39 pm

I'm going to dump ashes on my head and wear sackcloth.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 12th 2018, 9:51 am

jorowi wrote:I'm going to dump ashes on my head and wear sackcloth.

Pictures, please!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on February 21st 2018, 8:07 pm

Guys, I'm so excited. I just got word that my wife got a job!
    Ever since her 6 month contract on the mental health ward ended, she's been working casual nursing pool. The pool have given her a few mental ward shifts, but nothing anywhere else. They wanted to ease her back into general nursing, but they're so slack it never happened.
    She went for an interview for a 12 month contract a couple of days ago. Just got word this morning that she was successful.
    This will take so much stress out of our family (that combined with living so much closer to school for the kids now). We no longer have to worry each fortnight about how many shifts she'll get.
    2018 is going to be an exciting year.

Something that I am very much learning lately, is "ask and you will receive." So often I don't have because I don't ask. Prayer is proving to be a vital ingredient to our family's financial stability.
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on February 21st 2018, 8:10 pm

Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits!

Twitter
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on February 21st 2018, 8:38 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Guys, I'm so excited. I just got word that my wife got a job!
    Ever since her 6 month contract on the mental health ward ended, she's been working casual nursing pool. The pool have given her a few mental ward shifts, but nothing anywhere else. They wanted to ease her back into general nursing, but they're so slack it never happened.
    She went for an interview for a 12 month contract a couple of days ago. Just got word this morning that she was successful.
    This will take so much stress out of our family (that combined with living so much closer to school for the kids now). We no longer have to worry each fortnight about how many shifts she'll get.
    2018 is going to be an exciting year.

Something that I am very much learning lately, is "ask and you will receive." So often I don't have because I don't ask. Prayer is proving to be a vital ingredient to our family's financial stability.

That's great news! I'm very happy for you guys.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on February 21st 2018, 10:37 pm

jorowi wrote:Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits!
    Would that be Aussie biscuits (cookies) or American biscuits (scones)?
    Actually, let's just have both!

jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on February 22nd 2018, 7:42 am

American biscuits are not cookies or scones. There is no European equivalent to an American biscuit. I don't want to highjack this thread, though.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on February 22nd 2018, 10:04 am

Praise Yahweh! So glad to hear the news, Adam!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 30th 2018, 6:42 pm

Yesterday, American evangelist Reggie Dabs spoke at my kids' school. Last night I took my daughter to hear him at our church. Reggie gave an altar call, as evangelists do, and Chloe went forward to give her life to Jesus.

A number of years back, I explained the gospel to my kids in age-appropriate terms, and they both made a form of commitment, that was again, appropriate for their age at the time. But last night was all her. It was exciting to see her actively and publicly choosing to put her faith in Jesus and live for him. Words are insufficient for the pride I felt for her.
    So I'm praising God and humbled that he would bless me with the special kids that he gave me.
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on May 31st 2018, 9:44 am

PTL, brother! It's great when our kids share our faith.

Twitter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 12th 2018, 11:24 pm