The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Family Devotion Times

Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Family Devotion Times

Post  Reed Benson on September 25th 2017, 9:59 pm

Does on here anyone do a regular devotion and/or Bible study time with their families?

I'm not sure how many of you have families; I just know Paeter, Adam, and Mindspike for sure. But I was just listening to a podcast (These Go to 11) about how to study the Bible, and near the end, the two hosts talked about devotional/study times with family and how neither of them really do it (one host said he can't do Bible study with his wife because he's likes to argue about the meaning of passages and it drives her crazy). It got me curious to know how many people in this community do Bible stuff with their families.

I have a wife but no children yet, and we don't do any sort of study or devotional these days, though I sometimes think we should. We used to do a little one in the mornings, but she was never into it because it was early. Plus, her first language is Mandarin and mine is English, so it's kind of hard to find a devotional that can totally serve both of us.

I feel like if/when we have a child, I'm going to want to do some sort of devo or study as a family when he/she is old enough.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6525
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Family Devotion Times

Post  Paeter on September 26th 2017, 9:45 am

We don't, and I think largely for the same reasons you don't with your wife. I don't know of material that would be a good fit for us. It also doesn't help that the devotional time I grew up with (which usually just happened at the dinner table after special holiday meals) felt like a boring prison sentence and forced Q & A. My dad did the best he could with what he had (and in retrospect I admire his intention), but it wouldn't work for us.

For now, in place of a structured time, Holly and I try to ask intentional questions of our boys (age 7 and 10) about their day as we eat dinner, and look for opportunities to point to the character of Jesus or his forgiveness and our need for rescue. Similarly on the ride home from church or the lunch meal on Sundays we ask about what the boys learned in their classes and then add our own comments or questions to see where they're at or help them think and apply truth to life.

That said, I like the idea of doing something more structured with them when they are older and have more of a taste for that. For now I'm hoping to build to that organically by encouraging them to be inquisitive and thoughtful.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on September 26th 2017, 5:26 pm

Not something we've done in our family, though I think it would be good to do something more intention, maybe a bit like what Peater is doing with his boys. We've done a little of that, but probably not enough.
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 649
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on September 27th 2017, 8:34 am

Rather than devotional time with my family, my wife and I look for teachable moments.

Here's where we can give…
    Here's how we can pray…
    How do you think this person feels?

We try and steer conversations away from movies, video games, and sick tricks on the ramp outside towards Christ. Those things are cool but how can we use them to teach our kids? We let them examine the influences from the media they take in.

This actually happens about 1% of the time an opportunity actually arises.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 27th 2017, 10:40 am

jorowi wrote:

This actually happens about 1% of the time an opportunity actually arises.

Oh man, I relate to that feeling! May God make our minds sharp and alert and our hearts selfless and compassionate for every opportunity he gives us!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on September 27th 2017, 5:47 pm

jorowi wrote:This actually happens about 1% of the time an opportunity actually arises.

I appreciate your honesty here. I'm not alone.
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 830
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on September 27th 2017, 8:34 pm

I periodically subject my children to evening devotionals. That works out sometimes, but usually gets crowded out by our busy and conflicting schedules.

The only regular Bible study my children get comes from their daily homework assignments. I assign them reading passages and also passages they must copy into their personal journal. I check their homework and ask them to report on it.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on September 27th 2017, 8:56 pm

mindspike wrote:The only regular Bible study my children get comes from their daily homework assignments. I assign them reading passages and also passages they must copy into their personal journal. I check their homework and ask them to report on it.

I like that. How old were they when you started them on that, and did they make a fuss about it?
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 28th 2017, 9:13 am

mindspike wrote:I periodically subject my children to evening devotionals. That works out sometimes, but usually gets crowded out by our busy and conflicting schedules.

The only regular Bible study my children get comes from their daily homework assignments. I assign them reading passages and also passages they must copy into their personal journal. I check their homework and ask them to report on it.

3 points awarded to "Hohmskuling"! That's a house in Harry Potter, right?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 830
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on September 29th 2017, 9:26 pm

Reed Benson wrote:
    mindspike wrote:The only regular Bible study my children get comes from their daily homework assignments. I assign them reading passages and also passages they must copy into their personal journal. I check their homework and ask them to report on it.

I like that. How old were they when you started them on that, and did they make a fuss about it?

I started them at age 10 copying, and as soon as they could read they had assigned Bible stories. They fussed, but no more than about any other chore.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 14th 2018, 10:56 am