The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Your Favorite Single-Player First Person Shooters

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6081
    Geek-Cred : 53

Your Favorite Single-Player First Person Shooters

Post  Paeter on September 26th 2017, 9:53 am

Good gravy. I think I'm developing some traits of what I call the "Jock Gamer". No, I'm not suddenly only interested in playing Madden and Call Of Duty. But I've developed a hunger for FPS shooters lately. I used to think they just weren't my kind of game and never would be. But Bioshock changed that forever, leading to the Far Cry games (which I LOVE!) and Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I just started replaying to see the "Wyatt timeline". Great stuff. Now I'm suddenly wondering about even more mainstream shooters like Modern Warfare, Black Ops and Sniper Elite. I understand that their campaigns are often short and not what players usually buy them for. But so many of them can be found so cheaply that the price and timing may be right for me.

Anyone have a recommendation for a single-player FPS playable on either Xbox 360 or PS4?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 473
    Geek-Cred : 6

Re: Your Favorite Single-Player First Person Shooters

Post  jorowi on September 26th 2017, 10:54 am

Not playable on consoles but I always revert to the classics. You can Play Wolfenstein 3D online:

http://3d.wolfenstein.com/game_NA.php

AdamCollings

Activity : 550
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on September 26th 2017, 5:24 pm

jorowi wrote:Not playable on consoles but I always revert to the classics. You can Play Wolfenstein 3D online:

I may have to do that, for the nostalgia.
    Reed Benson

Activity : 235
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on September 26th 2017, 10:36 pm

jorowi wrote:Not playable on consoles but I always revert to the classics. You can Play Wolfenstein 3D online:

Well, there goes my free time.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 27th 2017, 10:37 am

Wha? Why did they make the "dream levels" of "Wolfenstein: The New Order" so many years before making the main part of the game? That's a really weird development cycle...

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on September 27th 2017, 8:37 pm

I just bought Doom from Gog not too long ago because it was getting to be too much trouble to load and run from disk though DosBox. Gog automates all that for me. Doom and Heretic are still by FPS of choice.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 473
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on September 28th 2017, 7:09 am

Paeter wrote:Wha? Why did they make the "dream levels" of "Wolfenstein: The New Order" so many years before making the main part of the game? That's a really weird development cycle...

Huh? I have no clue what you're talking about. The last game I played that could be considered an FPS is Portal.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 28th 2017, 9:09 am

jorowi wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Wha? Why did they make the "dream levels" of "Wolfenstein: The New Order" so many years before making the main part of the game? That's a really weird development cycle...

Huh? I have no clue what you're talking about. The last game I played that could be considered an FPS is Portal.

Yeah, that was a lame, "deep in the weeds" reference to the fact that original doom levels (or levels recreated with the same graphics and sounds as the original) are playable when you have B.J. go to sleep in "The New Order".

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on September 28th 2017, 6:12 pm

Paeter wrote:Yeah, that was a lame, "deep in the weeds" reference to the fact that original doom levels (or levels recreated with the same graphics and sounds as the original) are playable when you have B.J. go to sleep in "The New Order".
    That's a cool Easter Egg.
    fxruizx

Activity : 151
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx on September 28th 2017, 6:44 pm

Have fond memories of Turok on N64 (though it gets tough fast). Haven't played the PC/Mac port, but if you were wanting to take a risk (reminds me of another forum post) it is on sale on GOG now. I know that doesn't meet the 360/PS4 ask, but wanted to let you know anyway.

https://www.gog.com/game/turok
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on September 29th 2017, 10:09 am

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I'm really surprising myself by how much I'm enjoying Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Environmentally intense, but so far not too hard on the easiest difficulty. I AM currently in a spot where I've died a few times repeatedly, but so far I'm not too discouraged, in large part I think because of the quick reload getting you back in the game and the generously frequent checkpoint saves the game makes.

Might be playing some CoD in the late hours of Extra-Life!

Oh, no. I typed "CoD" instead of "Call Of Duty". Am I a Jock Gamer now? I think I'm a Jock Gamer. Better go start learning the rules of Football... (Sigh)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on October 1st 2017, 5:22 pm

About the only FPS I ever really got into was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Of course, that was mostly because it was Star Trek. I liked the balance of playing on the familiar Voyager sets, alongside beaming over to alien ships, meeting different species. An early episode had the player onboard the ship of a brand new species. The ship was kind of organic and the aliens were somewhat monster-like. It was actually pretty cool creepy. The game felt surprisingly Trek for a shooter and had a lot of character-based story in between missions to make it feel like more than just a gun-fest.

I'd be very surprised if you could find it for XBox 360 or PS4 though.
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on October 1st 2017, 7:54 pm

fxruizx wrote:Have fond memories of Turok on N64 (though it gets tough fast). Haven't played the PC/Mac port, but if you were wanting to take a risk (reminds me of another forum post) it is on sale on GOG now. I know that doesn't meet the 360/PS4 ask, but wanted to let you know anyway.

I completely forgot about Turok! I spent so many hours playing Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, and Turok: Rage Wars on the N64! Days upon days......

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!
    ProtectTheAlphaWolf

Activity : 16
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  ProtectTheAlphaWolf on October 11th 2017, 12:43 pm

As far as first person shooters go, the ever-popular Halo series really do hold up to all of the hype. I personally only own an original X-Box, but I have both Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 for it, and both are surprisingly excellent shooter games for being almost 16 and 13 years old now, respectively. If you can handle a little bit of bad graphics with humans, it really proves itself as an enjoyable, tense and all-around exciting getaway for an hour or two during your free time.

Portal 1 and 2 are also very good alternative first person shooters that don't have the regular blood-and-guts violence of most games in the genre. It's also a really good mind-bending puzzler, and the eerie story that goes along with it is something not easily forgotten, especially once you realize it ties in with the Half-Life and Team Fortress franchises.

As for PC shooter games, the original Star Wars: Battlefront is both really nostalgic and fun to play, if not a bit outdated.
    Rickster

Activity : 2114
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on October 11th 2017, 6:50 pm

I haven't gotten into fps yet but some non shooter first person games I've enjoyed are every body gone to the rapture (game made chock up at one point) and the witness
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on October 12th 2017, 9:51 am

ProtectTheAlphaWolf wrote:As far as first person shooters go, the ever-popular Halo series really do hold up to all of the hype.

Yeah, we have a 360, so I'm thinking about Halo a bit, mainly to have a non-bloody option to play with my boys.

Portal 1&2 are great games, too! LOVED the storytelling in 2, especially!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on October 12th 2017, 9:53 am

Rickster wrote:I haven't gotten into fps yet but some non shooter first person games I've enjoyed are every body gone to the rapture (game made chock up at one point) and the witness

Yeah, I'm still curious about Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. But given that it's a short game and pretty slow paced, it's a bit of a gamble for me. So I'm waiting for that "super-duper cheap sale" on PS4.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 15th 2017, 3:28 am