The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Anyone Use Microtransactions?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6081
    Geek-Cred : 53

Anyone Use Microtransactions?

Post  Paeter on October 23rd 2017, 12:58 pm

Some recent practices among big video game publishers have come under fire across games media outlets for their pretty invasive use of microtransactions. The latest controversy is over "loot boxes", used as the main form of character progression in the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2(in whIch some loot boxes can be earned in-game, while others you have to purchase) and also heavily featured in Middle Earth: Shadow Of War.

Basically, you buy a digital box (using real money) with randomized content in hopes of getting something you want. It's been compared in some ways to boosters in collectible card games.

Accusations that these practices prey upon gambling tendencies have made their way around.

I haven't brought it up on the podcast or youtube channel because I'm not sure I have anything unique to add to the discussion. But I am curious if anyone here uses microtransactions of any kind in games. (not just loot boxes, but any small in-game purchases with real money) If so, have you ever regretted spending the amount that you did, or do you find them at all tempting?

I've purchased DLC content before, like extra quests or gameplay functionality, but not digital equipment, to my memory. As it happens, I haven't been interested in very many games that have microstransactions in them, so I haven't been faced with them much at all.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on the topic?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 473
    Geek-Cred : 6

Re: Anyone Use Microtransactions?

Post  jorowi on October 23rd 2017, 2:22 pm

I don't pay for in-game stuff. EVER!

AdamCollings

Activity : 550
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on October 23rd 2017, 6:29 pm

The only time I have ever paid for anything in a game, was to purchase a couple of texture packs for minecraft (couple of dollars)
    I would never participate in what you describe above.

There's a tendency to go this way, particularly with mobile gaming lately. It's not for me.
    I purchase Plants vs Zombies and played it through. Plants vs Zombies II was free, but quickly become clear that the only way to win the game was the pay real money to purchase 'power ups' to use special attacks. Game un-installed.

Same with Star Trek Timelines. I found it impossible to progress with the game. The only way to make any progress was to pay money to get arbitrary items that allowed you to level up your characters. No thank you.

I'd much rather pay upfront for a real game, than throw my money down the toilet on these things that masquerade as games.
    Rickster

Activity : 2114
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on October 24th 2017, 12:13 am

I actually think that (please pay $9.99 to see the rest of this comment)
    Reed Benson

Activity : 235
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on October 24th 2017, 7:45 am

Rickster wrote:I actually think that (please pay $9.99 to see the rest of this comment)

Nice.

I don't think I've ever played a game where I could make in-game purchases. That's how behind I am.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6081
    Geek-Cred : 53

Post  Paeter on October 24th 2017, 9:24 am

Reed Benson wrote:
    Rickster wrote:I actually think that (please pay $9.99 to see the rest of this comment)

Nice.

I don't think I've ever played a game where I could make in-game purchases. That's how behind I am.

"Behind" sounds like a pretty good place to be!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 15th 2017, 3:30 am