The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Surprise! It's November!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6030
    Geek-Cred : 53

Surprise! It's November!

Post  Paeter on November 1st 2017, 8:31 am

November always catches me by surprise. Given that every other "month-defining" holiday lands somewhere at least a week before the end of the month, I think I still haven't adjusted to the fact that as SOON as Halloween is over, it's November!

And this month itself is going to fly by, once again. Every weekend from here until December I've got something big going on.

Extra-Life this Saturday.
    A gaming weekend with a buddy the following weekend.
    Justice League in theaters the Friday after that.
    Thanksgiving followed by "Opening Ceremonies" for the Christmas season!

Whew! One thing at a time, Paeter. Better get the office cleaned up and start the first round of technical testing for Extra-Life...

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 521
    Geek-Cred : 3

Re: Surprise! It's November!

Post  AdamCollings on November 1st 2017, 6:23 pm

By Christmas time I'm usually a dead man walking. After about 12 months of working without a break, busyness at work as people scramble to get stuff from you before the year ends, and all that Christmas brings, with church stuff, buying gifts etc.

It will be interesting to see how things are different this year, as I'm taking 2 weeks off in November. I may qctually enter December refreshed.
    We'll see.
    Reed Benson

Activity : 211
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Reed Benson on November 1st 2017, 8:36 pm

November is a two-sided coin for us in north China.

• One one side, the heat comes on. In the north, it gets so cold that the government has to provide heat for all the houses or we would all die. But they rarely turn the heat on until November 1st, so it gets pretty cold in October, and November becomes very appealing.

• On the other side, the heat is provided by coal-burning factories, leading to dense pollution on a lot of days. You've probably seen the ugly pictures of Beijing in the news. My city's not usually as bad as Beijing, but it can get ugly.

Some of that might be fog, but it's hard to tell.

So November is also the time to break out the pollution masks.
    Rickster

Activity : 2096
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on November 2nd 2017, 1:34 am

November will be my last Avengers race and then Dad's Birthday thanksgiving and black friday
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 2nd 2017, 12:02 pm

Reed Benson wrote:November is a two-sided coin for us in north China.

• One one side, the heat comes on. In the north, it gets so cold that the government has to provide heat for all the houses or we would all die. But they rarely turn the heat on until November 1st, so it gets pretty cold in October, and November becomes very appealing.

• On the other side, the heat is provided by coal-burning factories, leading to dense pollution on a lot of days. You've probably seen the ugly pictures of Beijing in the news. My city's not usually as bad as Beijing, but it can get ugly.

So November is also the time to break out the pollution masks.

Wow, that's so interesting! How long have you lived in China, Reed? Have you developed any China-specific nostalgia for certain seasonal periods?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 2nd 2017, 12:07 pm

AdamCollings wrote:By Christmas time I'm usually a dead man walking.

It will be interesting to see how things are different this year, as I'm taking 2 weeks off in November. I may qctually enter December refreshed.
    We'll see.

Dude, that sounds great!

In a weird way, I've come to "enjoy" the hustle and bustle of Christmas crunch-time. It was something I grew up with (lots of performing that happens that time of year), so it almost doesn't "feel" like the Christmas season without some stress. And in recent years the busyness and stress makes the Christmas Eve service experience so emotionally powerful to me, as I think about how Jesus came to free us from strife and striving. One day we will be fully and finally rescued from it all and in the meantime we can experience rest from knowing that he has done all the work and striving to make us righteous before God.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 2nd 2017, 12:08 pm

Rickster wrote:November will be my last Avengers race and then Dad's Birthday thanksgiving and black friday

That's right! Black Friday! Just made a note to get a Christmas list from Holly and make my own, too!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster

Activity : 2096
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on November 2nd 2017, 1:27 pm

Paeter wrote:
    AdamCollings wrote:By Christmas time I'm usually a dead man walking.

We'll see.

Dude, that sounds great!

In a weird way, I've come to "enjoy" the hustle and bustle of Christmas crunch-time. It was something I grew up with (lots of performing that happens that time of year), so it almost doesn't "feel" like the Christmas season without some stress. And in recent years the busyness and stress makes the Christmas Eve service experience so emotionally powerful to me, as I think about how Jesus came to free us from strife and striving. One day we will be fully and finally rescued from it all and in the meantime we can experience rest from knowing that he has done all the work and striving to make us righteous before God.

My mom loved shopping on Christmas Eve so she would always put it off until then
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on November 3rd 2017, 12:33 am

Paeter wrote:Wow, that's so interesting! How long have you lived in China, Reed? Have you developed any China-specific nostalgia for certain seasonal periods?

I've been here for around five years consecutively and six in total.

Autumn and Christmas time are the two seasons I'm most nostalgic for, but neither of those connections originated in China. Some experiences from my time here have added to the feelings, though. I've gone of some enjoyable trips and spent good time with friends during the Mid-Autumn Festival (which falls in September or October, depending on the lunar calendar), including getting married and having our honeymoon in South Korea. And I went to a Chinese branch of Papa John's for the first time on Christmas a few years ago. And my first year in China, I had a bad throat infection, but it meant I got to sit at someone else's home and watch all their movies all day.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 3rd 2017, 11:22 am

Rickster wrote:[

My mom loved shopping on Christmas Eve so she would always put it off until then

Wow! Hardcore! I DO kind of miss putting on Christmas music and braving the traffic all day to go shopping. Now I light candles and put on music in my office while I click away, but it's not quite the same.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 3rd 2017, 11:24 am

Reed Benson wrote: I went to a Chinese branch of Papa John's for the first time on Christmas a few years ago. And my first year in China, I had a bad throat infection, but it meant I got to sit at someone else's home and watch all their movies all day.

LOVE those kinds of sick days. Too sick to work but well enough to do a little geeking out.

And Chinese Papa John's!?? Wow! Had no idea they were that widespread! Did it taste any different? "Chinese-afied" somehow? I've heard that happens to Big Macs overseas.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 457
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on November 3rd 2017, 3:26 pm

November…I thought it was July! Oh, GEESH!

Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on November 4th 2017, 6:43 pm

Paeter wrote:And Chinese Papa John's!?? Wow! Had no idea they were that widespread! Did it taste any different? "Chinese-afied" somehow? I've heard that happens to Big Macs overseas.

It would be easier for me to answer if I could have had both American and Chinese versions in a shorter amount of time, but it's definitely not the same. It's not bad, though. The main problem with Chinese attempts at pizza is that they skimp on the tomato sauce for some reason, especially at Pizza Hut.

I've never had a McDonald's hamburger here, but their chickens sandwiches are quite different. They're all dark meat and they're always at least a little bit spicy. This is true wherever chicken sandwiches are made in China.

Burger King's Whoppers are pretty similar to their American counterparts, though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is November 23rd 2017, 9:43 am