The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Time Crunch!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Time Crunch!

Post  Paeter on November 21st 2017, 9:18 am

A week of content in three days! And oh yeah, Monday and Tuesday will be shorter work days cuz family is in town and your kid has a mini-play for you to go to. Lol! Crap! (Or "Carp" as I misspelled it at first in a rush!)

Anyone else feeling the holiday season time crunch yet? Use this space to paint a quick picture of the whirlwind as you fly by your computer! (Cuz of course you have lots of time to do something like that.)

www.spiritblade.com
    fxruizx

Activity : 166
    Geek-Cred : 1

Re: Time Crunch!

Post  fxruizx on November 21st 2017, 5:38 pm

It's definitely crunch time for me as well, for example I usually REC one podcast every two weeks, but over this week and the next two, I will be REC six episodes Shocked Shocked

Add to that me trying to be more consistent in streaming and man it's tough, but at least all that stuff is fun to do I love you

There should be a reprieve at Christmas...I hope Laughing

Pray God gives you peace in the midst of the chaos Paeter Very Happy
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406

Post  Reed Benson on November 29th 2017, 4:28 am

I've got to order a bunch of gifts online to have shipped to my family in the States, and I have to hope that no one else orders the same things. And I have to finally try ordering something on the Chinese Internet for my wife (since I have my bank account connected to my WeChat after long last).

At work, I've got to figure out what Christmas-y stuff I want to add to my lessons for the month, particularly what songs to teach that my students don't already know. And I've got to figure out the most effective way to teach the true meaning of Christmas without doing something to get in trouble.

All in all, not that big of a crunch compared to the rest of you guys, but that' because we don't have any kids yet.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 29th 2017, 9:49 am

Reed Benson wrote: I've got to figure out the most effective way to teach the true meaning of Christmas without doing something to get in trouble.

Sorry for rabbit trailing, but this caught my attention. Can you take a detached "historical angle" and say things like "around such and such year, Christians began using this day to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus, which was highly significant to them because they believe God became a human being in order to rescue them". Then you could also mention the gradual introduction of the story of the Christian Nicholas and how his story was changed and developed into a sort of fairy tale, which contributed to the celebration of Christmas even among those who are not Christians.

Would something like that approach get you in hot water?

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on November 30th 2017, 7:37 am

Paeter wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote: I've got to figure out the most effective way to teach the true meaning of Christmas without doing something to get in trouble.

Sorry for rabbit trailing, but this caught my attention. Can you take a detached "historical angle" and say things like "around such and such year, Christians began using this day to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus, which was highly significant to them because they believe God became a human being in order to rescue them". Then you could also mention the gradual introduction of the story of the Christian Nicholas and how his story was changed and developed into a sort of fairy tale, which contributed to the celebration of Christmas even among those who are not Christians.

Would something like that approach get you in hot water?

Approaching it from a historical and cultural angle is what we do. We're not allowed to invite anyone into belief, but we can say what we believe and how and why we celebrate. It's nice to be able to explain the story to kids who never hear it. We do the same at Easter.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 30th 2017, 10:00 am

Reed Benson wrote:We're not allowed to invite anyone into belief, but we can say what we believe and how and why we celebrate. It's nice to be able to explain the story to kids who never hear it. We do the same at Easter.

Wow! You mean you can actually openly say that YOU believe? That's even a step better than what I was thinking! I'm sure you'll do great, man.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 879
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  AdamCollings on November 30th 2017, 5:37 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:We're not allowed to invite anyone into belief, but we can say what we believe and how and why we celebrate. It's nice to be able to explain the story to kids who never hear it. We do the same at Easter.

Wow! You mean you can actually openly say that YOU believe? That's even a step better than what I was thinking! I'm sure you'll do great, man.

Indeed. That's further than my wife is allowed to go in her job as a nurse.
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on November 30th 2017, 7:45 pm

Paeter wrote:

I think it stems from the fact that most Chinese people just automatically assume that every American is a Christian. Christianity is considered a Western religion (even though it began in the Middle East).
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on December 1st 2017, 8:26 am

Reed Benson wrote:most Chinese people just automatically assume that every American is a Christian.

Man, if they only knew!

Back to the "Time Crunch" theme, I'm so glad it's Friday!!!!!!!!

I think I realized that another reason I'm pining for Christmas vacation is because the Thanksgiving weekend was so BUSY! Not restful at all! Holly and I just realized that tomorrow will be the first day in weeks that we have almost nothing on the calendar. Which of course means it might get filled up with those "to do" items we haven't had time for until now.

But in THEORY we can rest if we want to! We'll see!

Right now I'm counting down until December 13th, which is when I will go "off-grid" from e-mails and any work-related social interaction. I'll still be working for close to a week after that(including putting out content for the podcast and youtube channel), but the time will be split between work, church/family stuff and prep for our trip to Pennsylvania. So going off-grid early helps keep anything unexpected from being added to my time-management efforts.

Always a big sigh of relief when I hit the "activate" button for my auto-responders and close my e-mail for the last time. Just 12 days away!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on December 3rd 2017, 6:50 pm

Well, after this weekend, I'm ready for a weekend!

Friday Night: My work Christmas function. An enjoyable time ... but ... INTROVERT HERE
    Saturday Morning: Looking at houses. Then off to another town to adopt a kitten
    Saturday Afternoon: Major massive clean-up of one corner of the lounge room in prep for Christmas tree. Took hours.
    Saturday night: Assemble and decorate Christmas tree. Then crash in front of DVD before bed.

Sunday Morning: Church. (not on duty).
    Then free BBQ for families of all Kids ministry staff. Again ... nice time ... but INTROVERT
    Sunday Early Afternoon: Broken sleep in chair when I was supposed to be reading a book
    Sunday Afternoon: Back to church to do video switching for youth service
    Sunday night: Editing cruise vlog until late

and now I'm back at work crunching numbers.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on December 4th 2017, 10:07 am

That DOES sound busy! When you say "looking at houses", do you mean for their Christmas lights, or are you looking to move?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on December 4th 2017, 5:30 pm

We are considering a move some time next year. We're currently in a 2-bedroom place, and my kids share a room. My daughter is on the verge of adolescence so not suitable for her to share a room with her little brother.

So we've just started looking around to see what we can see.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on December 5th 2017, 8:22 am

Exciting time! Praying for you guys!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 18th 2018, 12:22 pm