The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Fasting Discussion

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6600
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Fasting Discussion

Post  Paeter on January 11th 2018, 9:59 am

AdamCollings wrote: Plus, fasting is really not part of our culture, as it was more in those days, which makes it a bit embarrasing to say "Oh, no thanks. I'm fasting."

It's actually gaining popularity as a health movement. So I think the challenge for us as Christians today, if we embrace fasting, is to do so without calling attention to our fasting in subtle ways to make ourselves look "spiritual". (Matthew 6:16-18) We could possibly just say, "no thanks, I've had enough to eat already" or "no thanks, I'm trying to eat less" and just mention fasting, and the spiritual aspect in particular, if we're pressed on it.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Fasting Discussion

Post  Reed Benson on January 11th 2018, 9:44 pm

I'm ashamed to admit that I fear fasting. I've been somewhat traumatized (for lack of a better term) by stomach problems in the past, and I occasionally deal with blood sugar/pressure issues. I fear that fasting will lead to much pain.

Also, in my experience, fasting hasn't led to any real spiritual experiences. Though one time it did lead to me zoning out and lying down on the bathroom floor without realizing it.
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 677
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on January 12th 2018, 8:04 am

Hey folks,

I split out the fasting conversation we were having in the Praise Points topic. Here are the comments that started the discussion:

jorowi wrote:I'm exploring the science behind intermittent fasting (which helped me lose weight). Christians are called to fast and pray but so many of us don't because of the way it makes us feel. Fasting should actually help us focus and bring clarity to our thoughts. A lot of it has to do with how our diets affect insulin levels and blood sugar.

Paeter wrote:John, this is interesting timing. The idea of fasting came back to my mind yesterday and I brought up the topic with Holly. I've hardly practiced fasting at all in my life. But I think that fasting and/or some form of strict dietary boundaries might be a spiritual discipline God wants me to develop. In my mind it's always been a messy issue, because my flesh whispers "this could make you look better, too!" But I think I need to stop letting concerns of my sin keep me from engaging in a discipline and just go into it with repentance and awareness of grace at the ready.

So please feel free to update me/us on your findings regarding fasting! I'd love to hear about what you're doing and anything that has helped you in the midst of temptation. I think dietary stuff is another one of those issues that isn't unique to Geeks by any means, but seems to exist among us more commonly than folks with other interests/hobbies.

AdamCollings wrote:Fasting is interesting. It was a big thing in the bible, but it's not a spiritual discipline that is often practiced, or ever talked about much, by western Christians.
    I guess the idea of denying yourself lovely food just sounds sucky, so we conveniently forget about it. Plus, fasting is really not part of our culture, as it was more in those days, which makes it a bit embarrasing to say "Oh, no thanks. I'm fasting."

If you have any thoughts to contribute regarding fasting, please do!

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6600
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on January 12th 2018, 9:04 am

Reed Benson wrote:I'm ashamed to admit that I fear fasting. I've been somewhat traumatized (for lack of a better term) by stomach problems in the past, and I occasionally deal with blood sugar/pressure issues. I fear that fasting will lead to much pain.

Also, in my experience, fasting hasn't led to any real spiritual experiences. Though one time it did lead to me zoning out and lying down on the bathroom floor without realizing it.

I don't think there's any shame in that. Sounds like it may actually not be very healthy for you. At least not without some serious care/modification.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 677
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on January 12th 2018, 9:50 am

Reed Benson wrote:I'm ashamed to admit that I fear fasting. I've been somewhat traumatized (for lack of a better term) by stomach problems in the past, and I occasionally deal with blood sugar/pressure issues. I fear that fasting will lead to much pain.

There are many ways to fast. Maybe you could skip a meal. Maybe you could cut something out.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR! THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. I'M ONLY SHARING WHAT I'VE READ. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!

If you eat a lot of carbs try cutting half of them out, especially liquid carbs from fruit juice and sugary drinks. Try eating more slow-burning carbs like beans and sweet potatoes. By eating slow-burning carbs you'll reduce the spike in blood sugar and the subsequent crash after you haven't eaten in some time.

Here are some examples of slow-burning carbs:

• Whole unrefined grains
    • Lentils & Legumes
    • Quinoa
    • Rice (brown, colored, and wild)
    • Sweet Potatoes, peas, squash, and other starchy vegetables
    • Fruit (not too much, though)

I mention all of this because if you're living off of carbs, fasting is hard. Your body expects sugar for energy and won't use stored fat. This leads to a lack of energy and focus. You'll probably also get headaches and hunger pangs. When you force your body to burn fat you'll feel much better when fasting.

Whatever you choose to do, talk to your doctor. The healthier you eat the easier you'll find it is to fast.

END MEDICAL DISCLAIMER

If you can't fast from food all-together, start by fasting from soda, candy, or fast food. If you've cut that out, try fasting from videos games, movies, or (GASP!) THE INTERNET!

Hope this helps!

Twitter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 19th 2018, 2:40 pm