The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Share
    avatar
    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 379
    Activity : 529
    Geek-Cred : 6
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 44
    Location : FEMA Region II

    YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  jorowi on January 19th 2018, 10:27 am

    Hi all,

    You may or may not have heard that YouTube is now requiring channels to have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of view time over the past 12 months in order to qualify for their partner program (ad revenue sharing).

    That means my channel no longer qualifies despite being part of the partner program since 2010. This isn't a huge hit to me but I do make a little income that helps pay for some of my geek entertainment.

    I'm not sure how many others here have YouTube channels (I know there are at least 3 others) but I want to encourage you to put your channel in this thread. Some of us may be close to the new requirements and may only need a few extra subs (I need at least 400) or a little more view time.

    If I haven't already, I will subscribe to your channel if it's listed here.

    For the record, here's mine: https://youtube.com/jorowi

    I also want you to encourage the community to fully watch videos and like and comment on smaller channels (including Paeter's). Audience activity is something YouTube looks for and will help smaller channels grow.

    Thanks!


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    avatar
    Rickster

    Posts : 1326
    Activity : 2143
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 34

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Rickster on January 20th 2018, 3:28 am

    I subscribed to your channel with both of my channels Rugged Warrior and Rugged Gamer

    Its going to be interesting since Amazon announced they're starting their own version of YouTube how many smaller channels will flock to them and will YouTube feel a loss from it
    avatar
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 545
    Activity : 628
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 39
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  AdamCollings on January 21st 2018, 6:23 pm

    Yeah. I've heard about this, although not from youTube themselves!

    I'm pretty bummed. I was planning to monetise my new vlogging channel. I had to build up 10,000 views, which I've been working hard toward. Now, that's totally off the table.
    I've spent about 4 years building my 83 subscribers on my main channel. I've grown to 63 on the new vlogging channel in a few months, due to a wider appeal, but let's be honest. I have zero hope of ever reaching the new requirements for the partner program.

    The one bright spark is that we will apparently retain the ability to use features like endcards and custom thumbnails.

    And it's not just the money. It's the feeling that "you don't matter to us." that we're getting from youTube.

    Here is a video from another youTube who eluquently explains how I'm feeling


    Anyway, my channels:

    * Books, movie reviews, Christian sci-fi bulletin: https://www.youtube.com/user/collingsshow
    * Vlogging. Travel. See Tasmania. Hang out with my family: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9H-rDrZr2tnnKhtRiHafQ
    avatar
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 545
    Activity : 628
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 39
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  AdamCollings on January 21st 2018, 6:26 pm

    Rickster wrote:Its going to be interesting since Amazon announced they're starting their own version of YouTube how many smaller channels will flock to them and will YouTube feel a loss from it

    Honestly, I don't think youTube cares. We are inconsequential.

    I *am* interested to learn more about this Amazon alternative, though.
    The trouble is, youTube is the place to be now, because whever somebody thinks about watching video online, they think youTube. It is *THE* destination. Does amazon have the clout to change that? Hmmmmm. Maybe.
    avatar
    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 4340
    Activity : 6195
    Geek-Cred : 56
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 39
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Paeter on January 22nd 2018, 10:38 am

    Not seeing news about the Amazon thing other than a trademark being registered. If anyone knows more I'd love to get a link!

    The CGC channel basically just scrapes by the cutoff as of our recently reaching 1,000. But I don't consider us "out of the woods" and have been wondering and hoping for awhile that a good competitor will at least give youtube a reason to up their consideration of content creators. Maybe amazon will at least do that.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com
    avatar
    Reed Benson

    Posts : 255
    Activity : 318
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 34
    Location : China

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Reed Benson on January 24th 2018, 4:34 am

    Something I've been wondering...if I skip through a video but still make sure it goes all the way to the end, does YoUTube credit that as a view? Or do I have to watch every single second without skipping?
    avatar
    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 379
    Activity : 529
    Geek-Cred : 6
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 44
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  jorowi on January 24th 2018, 8:29 am

    Reed Benson wrote:Something I've been wondering...if I skip through a video but still make sure it goes all the way to the end, does YoUTube credit that as a view? Or do I have to watch every single second without skipping?

    Google keeps a pretty tight lid on how they count views. It's believed that if you watch 30 seconds it counts as a view. Many people think it needs to be 30 consecutive seconds. Honestly, nobody knows!


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    avatar
    Reed Benson

    Posts : 255
    Activity : 318
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 34
    Location : China

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Reed Benson on January 25th 2018, 3:03 am

    Bugger. What about the bell? Does clicking the button to get notifications do anything to help the channel that subscribing doesn't? Because I never sign up for notifications from anything. I don't like having those little tabs pop up on my computer all the time.
    avatar
    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 379
    Activity : 529
    Geek-Cred : 6
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 44
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  jorowi on January 25th 2018, 8:47 am

    Reed Benson wrote:Bugger. What about the bell? Does clicking the button to get notifications do anything to help the channel that subscribing doesn't? Because I never sign up for notifications from anything. I don't like having those little tabs pop up on my computer all the time.

    The only way it helps is that it would drive an initial surge of traffic (theoretically). YouTube factors into its algorithm how quickly a video gets views. This may lead the algorithm to feature a video or make it show up in other's "suggested videos". So, the notifications only work if a creator's audience is acting on them.


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    avatar
    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 4340
    Activity : 6195
    Geek-Cred : 56
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 39
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Paeter on January 25th 2018, 9:48 am

    jorowi wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:Bugger. What about the bell? Does clicking the button to get notifications do anything to help the channel that subscribing doesn't? Because I never sign up for notifications from anything. I don't like having those little tabs pop up on my computer all the time.

    The only way it helps is that it would drive an initial surge of traffic (theoretically). YouTube factors into its algorithm how quickly a video gets views. This may lead the algorithm to feature a video or make it show up in other's "suggested videos". So, the notifications only work if a creator's audience is acting on them.

    Dude, John, you KNOW stuff! I just haven't had the patience to take that kind of deep dive into the inner workings of Youtube. So thanks for sharing your knowledge here!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com
    avatar
    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 379
    Activity : 529
    Geek-Cred : 6
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 44
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  jorowi on January 25th 2018, 11:16 am

    Paeter wrote:Dude, John, you KNOW stuff! I just haven't had the patience to take that kind of deep dive into the inner workings of Youtube. So thanks for sharing your knowledge here!

    Check out the YouTube Creator Academy. There is a wealth of information in there. Here's a video about notifications:



    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter

    Sponsored content

    Re: YouTube Removing Ad Revenue from Smaller Channels

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is February 20th 2018, 8:02 pm