The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Are there any movies that are better on the small screen?

Reed Benson

Activity : 394
    Geek-Cred : 1

Are there any movies that are better on the small screen?

Post  Reed Benson on February 8th 2018, 1:44 am

I was thinking today about movies that are supposed to be experienced in theaters. I didn't see Cloverfield until it was on DVD, but I remember people saying it made them motion sick watching it in the cinema. And Avatar was more or less made to be seen in 3D and IMAX, right? Also, Gravity kind of relies on making you feel like you're trapped in space with Sandra Bullock.

It got me thinking...are there any movies where the experience is aided by watching them on the small screen? Maybe something where the theatrical experience can actually be distracting? I'm guessing these would be more story-heavy fare, though maybe a claustrophobic horror movie would have more of an effect on someone who watches it alone at night rather than in a packed theater.

Any thoughts?
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6289
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Are there any movies that are better on the small screen?

Post  Paeter on February 8th 2018, 10:46 am

Oh man, I'm probably the odd man out. I think ALL movies are better experienced on my home theater screen. No risk of rude people chatting. If the mix is off and I miss some dialogue I can flip on subtitles for a minute. If something is really cool looking I can rewind and watch it again. I can lounge on my furniture, take potty breaks when I want and eat or drink what I want.

Selfish Paeter says: May theaters dwindle and die! Direct to video for everything!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 394
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on February 8th 2018, 6:56 pm

Paeter wrote:Oh man, I'm probably the odd man out. I think ALL movies are better experienced on my home theater screen. No risk of rude people chatting. If the mix is off and I miss some dialogue I can flip on subtitles for a minute. If something is really cool looking I can rewind and watch it again. I can lounge on my furniture, take potty breaks when I want and eat or drink what I want.

Selfish Paeter says: May theaters dwindle and die! Direct to video for everything!

Oh, yeah, there is all that stuff. I'm guessing you probably have a pretty good home theater system, too. I forget that people these days have little theaters in their houses.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 701
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on February 11th 2018, 4:59 pm

Paeter wrote:Oh man, I'm probably the odd man out. I think ALL movies are better experienced on my home theater screen. No risk of rude people chatting. If the mix is off and I miss some dialogue I can flip on subtitles for a minute. If something is really cool looking I can rewind and watch it again. I can lounge on my furniture, take potty breaks when I want and eat or drink what I want.

LOL. As a fellow introvert I get that, but at the same time, there is something special about the atmosphere in a cinema. The big screen, the sound of the booming speakers. A theatre is a much nicer place than my grotty, messy little lounge room.

I think any "found footage" movie like Cloverfield is best experienced on TV because it adds to the experience. You can believe you are watching this footage on your TV. It makes you a character in the movie. Pretty darn cool!
    Can't think of any other type of movie that would be better on the small screen.
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 811
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on February 12th 2018, 8:52 am

I'm with Paeter on this. All movies are better at home for a lot of the same reasons. I want to add "no sensory overload" to the list. Everything comes at you big and loud and surroundy at the theatre. I need a little distance to enjoy a movie.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 22nd 2018, 9:38 am