The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Scones vs Biscuits vs Cookies

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 608
    Geek-Cred : 6

Scones vs Biscuits vs Cookies

Post  jorowi on February 22nd 2018, 8:15 am

I mentioned biscuits in another thread and Adam asked if I was referring to cookies or scones. No to both. Scones are not biscuits. There is no European equivalent to an American biscuit. They are very similar but the differences in texture and taste are distinct.

Scones tend to be "shorter" (contain more fat) than biscuits and are sweeter. They often contain fruit. You have a scone with tea or for breakfast.

British scones (and I assume Aussie ones too) are round while American scones tend to be triangular. I don't know why but it probably has something to do with us giving King George III the finger over 240 years ago.

American biscuits are eaten with any meal. Usually with butter. Some people put jelly or preserves on them. You can also have biscuits as a meal topped with white gravy and crumbled sausage or pulled chicken. Anyone who eats biscuits with brown gravy should be deported.

Biscuits can either be cut or dropped. When most people make drop biscuits they end up closer to scones because they don't use enough flour. I prefer rough-cut biscuits (cut with a knife or spoon rather than a perfectly round biscuit cutter). And for those of you wondering if I mean a cookie cutter: NO! A biscuit cutter is deeper because the dough is thicker.

The best biscuits are made with buttermilk, amber waves of grain, and a dash of 'Murica. I find that singing the National Anthem while kneading the dough makes them rise better. You should always say the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag while buttering your biscuits. Every time I bite into a biscuit I hear a bald eagle screeching in the distance.

You're welcome! The Biscuit-Whisperer.

P.S. Somewhere this post went off the rails. I don't care.

Last edited by jorowi on February 22nd 2018, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6383
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Scones vs Biscuits vs Cookies

Post  Paeter on February 22nd 2018, 9:06 am

Holy crap, so many "LOLs of the morning" in this post! First I was getting hungry and then I was laughing my butt off!
    Thank you so much.

(Still laughing, my gosh!)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 742
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on February 22nd 2018, 5:13 pm

LOL
    Thanks for the education, John. This clarifies things for me. The subject came up when I was chatting with some Americans a few months back. I did a little research on google images, and they looked like scones to me, so I assumed they were essentially the same thing.
    If I ever find myself in America I'll have to try some.

Now I want to know about your white gravy. We have "white sauce", which is basically just flour, butter and milk (sometimes referred to as Bechemel sauce by the overly fancy) commonly used on corned beef, but all our gravy is brown.
    What does your white gravy taste like?
    Reed Benson

Activity : 400
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on February 22nd 2018, 7:00 pm

Oh, man, the biscuits at fried chicken restaurants were always my favorite part of eating that those places, but I know KFC's had a lot of trans fat.

It's hard teaching Chinese students about American biscuits. The fact that it took John so many words to explain them shows that. Chinese people tend to know the British meanings of words like "biscuit," "rubber," chips," etc.

By the way, I've never liked any kind of gravy. I only ate biscuits with butter, honey, or nothing. I hope I don't get banned from the forum.
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 608
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on February 22nd 2018, 7:44 pm

AdamCollings wrote:What does your white gravy taste like?

White gravy is made with flour, milk, salt & pepper and the drippings from sausage or bacon. If you don't have any drippings you can substitute a little oil but who doesn't have bacon drippings in a bowl next to their stove?

This is also referred to as "Southern Style" gravy.

Twitter
    UKSteve

Activity : 317
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve on February 23rd 2018, 8:29 am

Reed Benson wrote:Oh, man, the biscuits at fried chicken restaurants were always my favorite part of eating that those places, but I know KFC's had a lot of trans fat.

Bad time to mention KFC, Reed, bad time.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6383
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on February 23rd 2018, 8:59 am

Oh my gosh, that's a REAL news story! I thought for sure it was The Onion News!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 400
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on February 23rd 2018, 7:23 pm

UKSteve wrote:Bad time to mention KFC, Reed, bad time.

KFC in China has had so many scandals and people getting sick, I'm shocked anyone eats at their restaurants anymore. Not sure what it's like in the U.K., but I can't feel bad that someone had to eat at Burger King (which is on the higher end of the fast food in China).
    AdamCollings

Activity : 742
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on February 25th 2018, 10:22 pm

UKSteve wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:Oh, man, the biscuits at fried chicken restaurants were always my favorite part of eating that those places, but I know KFC's had a lot of trans fat.

Bad time to mention KFC, Reed, bad time.

That's hilarious.
    I want to see the rest of that report, lol.

Ah KFC. How I love you.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 22nd 2018, 8:27 pm