The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

The Farscape Dairies - Reflections from an Aussie Perspective

AdamCollings

Activity : 761
    Geek-Cred : 3

The Farscape Dairies - Reflections from an Aussie Perspective

Post  AdamCollings on February 27th 2018, 10:48 pm

So look what came in the mail for me today:

Yes, I've seen the light, thanks to Paeter's preaching, and am going to be watching through all of Farscape.

After each episode, I'll go back and listen to the Farscape Shwarma, to get Paeter's thoughts. I will also post some of my own thoughts in this thread, from time to time.

So, assuming everybody isn't already sick of discussing this show, let's talk Farscape.
    Reflection on the pilot to come in a few hours.
    AdamCollings

Re: The Farscape Dairies - Reflections from an Aussie Perspective

Post  AdamCollings on February 28th 2018, 7:03 pm

Ok. I watched the first four episodes last night.
    I'm enjoying it so far.  First thing I noticed is there's a whole lot more Aussie accents than I remembered. Apart from Ben Browder (who I remember and love from Stargate SG1) all the actors, including the peacekeepers are Aussie. Even Claudia Black, I was fascinated to learn the other day, despite her british accent, was born and raised in Sydney, and has even appeared in some classic Aussie shows like A Country Practice and Home & Away. Anthony Simcoe is putting on an "alien voice" for D'Argo, which seems a bland of his native voice, with a little American tinge. This all gives me a patriotic buzz, obviously much more than it did back in the day. I also get a huge buzz from seeing the Channel 9 logo at the end of a sci-fi show.

The planet CGI looks very nice. The ship CGI is a mixed bag (at least in the pilot)

The creature work is really cool. D'Argo looks cool. His "skin beard" is pretty unique, although the nose really bugs me. Looks like a cardboard nose has been glued to his face. Anyway, a small thing really.
    Pilot looks awesome.
    Rygel was a bit of an issue for me back in the day. I found it hard to buy him as a character. I'm kind of the opposite of Paeter in this regard. Where he gets distracted by CGI characters, feeling like they are a cartoon, I have a similar issue with practical creatures. It just looks like there's a rubber muppet interacting with the live action people. I find it hard to suspend disbelief over, and emotionally invest in, a rubber puppet. That said, the design and performance of the puppet really sold it well. That combined with the voice acting has me buying Rygel as a character. His quirky personality probably helps a lot too. the "rubber-disconnect" is still there for me, but I'm not letting it distract me from enjoying the character.

Brief thoughts on the episodes so far.

1) Pilot.
    A decent-enough pilot. Pilots are hard because you have to introduce all the characters, set up the premise, theme and tone of the show, plus tell an interesting story. This achieved the job well. I had forgotten that the Moira was a prison ship, and that the characters were escaped criminals. THAT's interesting. I like how the characters were all meeting for the first time. In fact, we even see D'Argo and Zhaan introducing themselves to each other. This means that Crichton is not joining an established group of people who all know each other. I liked that. I enjoyed John's struggle to decide who to trust. These people are prisoners, so they may not actually be nice or even good people at all. Yet, actions show they are a better bet than the peacekeepers. I loved the bit where he says to Aeryn, "I think I picked the wrong team. I'm staying." Lots of interesting potential to see where these characters go.

So, we have aliens (Sebaceans) that look human in this part of the universe. Very interesting. I am keen to see if they explain these similarities at all, and if they delve into some unseen differences between sebaceans and humans.

2) I ET
    I enjoyed this one (clearly a lot more than Peater did Wink )
    It felt like a fairly average (not standout) episode of Star Trek. In fact, I'm surprised how much these first few episodes are scratching the Star Trek itch for me. While I prefer long-form serial storytelling, I don't mind the odd self-contained story like this. Yes, the similarity to earth presents  a bit of a believability problem, but as a long-time Star Trek fan, I came to terms with that concept a loooong time ago. Suprisingly, I actually felt some small emotional investment in a "girl of the week" romance. That never happens. Anyway, sometimes I just wanna beam down to a strange new world with Kirk and Spock (even one that isn't overly strange). That's why I enjoyed Stargate SG-1 so much.

As for the other characters. This episode really gave me a sense of just how alive Moira is. I'm fascinating by this living ship. It's almost like an animal. That's very cool. Great development. We also see a little character stuff with Rygel that I appreciated. His adjusting to not having "people to do everything for me". He doesn't even know how to use a tool. I appreciated that.

I haven't yet listened to the shwarma for the next two, but maybe that's better. It means my reactions will be completly fresh and free from outside opinion.

3) "Exodus from Genesis"
    Got more Star Trek vibes from this one. An alien threat comes aboard the ship. They try treat it like an enemy, until they come to understand it's side of the story. The conflict is resolved through negotation and mutual understanding. So Star Trek. I like it. Again, it's a bit of a stand-alone episode, apart from the interactions with the peacekeepers. We now learn that there ARE differences between Sebaceans an humans. Sebaceans are unable to regulate their body temperate. Heat is very dangerous to them. Cool.
    I get the impression that Farscape is still finding its feet, and slowly gearing towards a more serialised story arc. I'm looking forward to that, but I'm enjoying the journey as we go, because it's giving me some nice Trek nostalgia. A decent enough standalone.

4) "Throne for a Loss"
    And here it comes. The episode that contains the infamous "Is nudity taboo in your culture?" scene that was heavily used in marketing back in '99. I wasn't expecting this one to be a great episode, but found suprising depth and relevance in it. Zhan's attempt to help the alien prisoner escape his life of drug addiction was nicely done. More interesting was his rock-solid view that the drug was a good thing he didn't want to give up, because of the abilities it gave him. The scene at the very end, where he is back in the suit, was a little sad, but quite thought-provoking. It's a good reminder to me, that we can't always help everyone. We may try to help someone through a difficulty, or share the gospel with them. We have to remember that the outcome is not up to us. God calls us to obey, but he doesn't put the responsibility for getting results on our shoulders. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, the person we are ministering to will not respond in the way we would want. This doesn't necessarily mean a failure on our part.

I remember thinking, back in the day, that the whole "punch me until my blood goes clear" thing was a bit odd. It still felt odd this time.

I'll be honest, I dozed off a bit near the end of this episode. It was late. I should have gone to bed before starting it, but I wanted "just one more episode". You know how it is. I should go back and re-watch it because I think I may have missed some interesting stuff.

Ok. That's it for now. I seriously doubt I'll be writing reactions to every single episode, but hopefully, at least someone is mildly amused by my "newbie reactions" coming in to this show on a relatively blank slate.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6433
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on March 1st 2018, 10:19 am

AdamCollings wrote:

So, assuming everybody isn't already sick of discussing this show, let's talk Farscape.

Sick of discussing Farscape? That's not a real thing that could happen, right?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 1st 2018, 10:27 am

AdamCollings wrote:

I'll be honest, I dozed off a bit near the end of this episode. It was late. I should have gone to bed before starting it, but I wanted "just one more episode". You know how it is. I should go back and re-watch it because I think I may have missed some interesting stuff.

Were you awake for the Green Lantern reference? That was the moment I knew this show was written by "my people".

BTW, the ship's name is "Moya", which is understandably confused with "Moira". And the inconsistent accents at the beginning of this series don't help, either.

Glad you're enjoying it so far! And yeah, don't listen to ME blab about eps before watching them! Go in fresh!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 1st 2018, 5:27 pm

Yes. I was impressed with the Green Lantern reference. I wouldn't have understood it in '99 as I hadn't heard of Green Lantern at the time, but I enjoyed it this time around. I went back and re-watched the end of that episode yesterday at lunch (joy of working from home). I hadn't missed much, but now I'm all caught up. The pop culture references are fun. Stargate did it a lot later, but Farscape did it first (and better, as the Green Lantern reference shows)

Oh, I'm definitely watching the episodes first. My question was whether I share my thoughts first before listening to yours lol.

I watched "Thank God it's Friday Again" last night. It contained that urination scene that turned me off Farscape all those years ago. It just felt really childish and silly. Interestingly, 20 years of fragmented memory made the scene seem worse than it actually was. While it was still cheesy toilet-humour, it was totally something Rygel would do, so it didn't bother me nearly as much. I like how the show can be silly like that, but then also go really deep (like the addiction stuff in Throne For A Loss)

Anyway, seeing the tough warrior D'Argo get brainwashed into being a farmer was interesting, but what was more interesting, was that the brainwashing actually hit a genuine deep desire from his childhood. Part of D'Argo really does want to settle down and have a simple quiet life. That's some good character-deepening stuff there.

And in the previous episode, I'm seriously intrigued about what D'Argo's true crime is. Can't wait to see where that one goes.

Anyway, I'm now heading into uncharted territory Wink
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 5th 2018, 1:38 am

* That Old Black Magic.

I'm going to give a different perspective on Zhan. She strikes me very much like a Vulcan in Star Trek. Vulcans have extremely violent and volatile emotions. This is why they suppress them. They may come across as arrogant and condescending, but really, they are just aware that there is so much darkness lurking below the surface, they have to control it at all costs.
    Zhan seems quite the same. Because she knows she has such darkness in her, she really has to work hard on the "serence act" because it's the only way she knows how to keep it all inside. Yes, it makes her come across as arrogant, and maybe she is, but I'm starting to understand why.

As for hurting the two-headed bird, and then Rygel? Sure, she had to be willing to hurt Muldis, but was it really necessary to inflict pain on unsuspecting innocents just to practice? That was dark and hard to justify. Red-skinned-Dude should have told her to inflict pain on HIM. But maybe the bloke just isn't that honourable.

Crase comes across as an extremely unreasonable person. His back-story explains a lot about him, but I'm having a hard time buying that he can be so thick-headed as to devote his life to chasing down John, for what was clearly a "traffic accident" that he can't be held accountable for. He even killed his own XO just so he could go off the rails and persue personal vengence (like that's not gonna come back and bit him on the bum). The admiral is gonna notice he's gone rogue soon. Crase comes across to me as a Bond villain. I guess John was right in the titles when he says "I'm being chased by an insane military commander". Emphasis on insane. I think I'd say that Crase is the weakest part of the show for me so far.

Side note, great to see Aussie actor of Blue Heelers fame, Grant Bowler, put on red makeup and play an alien here.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 5th 2018, 1:54 am

* DNA Mad Scientist
    Ok, I'm starting to see why you like this show Peater. This episode, and a couple after it, are demonstrating that I gave up on Farscape an episode or two too early. If only I'd stuck with it two more weeks....
    Oh well. I'm catching up now.

First. The alien scientist looked awesome. One of my favourite creatures from the show so far. Right up there with Pilot.
    Now. Pilot's arm? Wow. Dark. That moment definitely had an impact on how I view those characters, and how John and Aeryn view them. I lost significant respect for Zhan, D'Argo and Rygel, but I appreciated the writers allowing those characters to be selfish and flawed. Good one.
    The thing I don't get, is why are those three so clueless on how to get home? Sure, we're in the 'uncharted terrories' but we're not that far from Peacekeeper space. Just a few episodes ago, we met some of D'Argo's counsin species. They didn't seem 'lost in space'. They even invited D'Argo to go home with them and join the war effort. He seriously considered this.
    How can they not know how to reach their respective homeworlds? The other part was the DNA test was supposed to show them how to get home while avoiding peacekeeper forces. I'm sorry, but how is a DNA sample going to tell them where the peacekeeper ships are? This science made very little sense to me.
    But still a cool episode, which shows me where this show is heading.

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 5th 2018, 4:16 am

Going back to PK Tech Girl, I wanted to mention that they did a dark reflection on torture - with a puppet. That's bold. That's out there. I am quite impressed with how seriously they are taking the character of Rygel. They don't treat him any differently to the humanoid characters.

* They've got a secret. Fantastic character episode We learn some great backstory on D'Argo, which fleshes him out more. Plus, the surprise revelation about Moya. That's so cool! I think this was one of my favourite episodes.

* Till The Blood Runs Clear. Fun little plot-arc episode. Like a typical "failed attempt to get home" Voyager episode. I never expected John to be successful. But nice to see Farscape 1 again. Raises the stakes regarding Crase. Good reminder that these characters are fugitives, so they're not safe to wander space at their leisure. Also - great to see iconic Aussie actor Magda Szubanski as the mechanic. Once again, though, like Grant Bowler, they make her put on an American accent, which was not entirely convincing. I wish they'd just let the actors use their natural voices. Magda's natural voice would have really suited that character. Oh, and the development of John and D'Argo's relationship was very nicely done.

* Rapsody in Blue. Lots of development of Zahn's species. the make-up job on most of them was terrible in comparrison to Zahn. I guess they didn't want to expend as much effort on one-off characters. Shame. Get learn a lot of fascinating back-story about Zahn, and the darkness that is within her. I didn't quite comprehend the whole insanity thing. I felt that could have been written a little better, but I find myself quite concerned for where Zahn may be headed in future episodes. Will she be able to hold the darkness at bay? Only time will tell.  Also, I really felt for John, when he realised his wife was just imaginary. The emotions and memories felt real to him, so it must be like losing a wife for real.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 5th 2018, 10:47 am

You're totally making me want to watch this all again!

Glad you're enjoying all the character stuff, and thank you for your perspective on Zhaan! You might have just improved her character for me!

Give Crais time...

My guess on the DNA thing is the assumption that life was seeded from all over the galaxy from a common source, and that by analyzing DNA they can trace the seeding history. But that's a guess.

Love the mechanic character and the actress playing her! Cool to learn she's an Aussie star!

Love hearing your thoughts, Adam! Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 5th 2018, 5:26 pm

Cool. There's something nice about re-living a beloved property through another person's fresh eyes.

* The Flax. So we begin with the arrival of Stands (Stanz?) played by Rhys Muldoon (AKA Rhys from Playschool). This character is the quintessential Aussie. Feels like he stepped straight off the set of Mad Max. The Aussie sense of humour really comes out through this character. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian had a hand in some of the writing of this episode.

There was a scene where Stands is showing a tatoo, and Rygel asks "Where are your ... um..." And Stands looks down. I thought, here we go. The standard joke where they imply the characters are talking about you-know-what, only to reveal that's not what they were talking about at all. But they didn't do the usual turn. They just went there. This wasn't just a joke, though. It was forshadowing of a later reveal.

Some beautiful development for D'Argo's character. D'Argo struck me early on as "The tough guy" but I'm seeing there is so much more to him, and I'm loving it.

The surprise revelation at the end regarding Stands was ..... akward .... but pretty amusing. Rhys was clearly taking the mickey out of the whole situation, as only an Aussie can, as he delivered his lines "Love you ... love you ..."
    And then John's callback to this joke in the final scene with Aeryn, that was funny too. Also, gambling scene with Rygel broke all tropes, and then broke them again with a double-twist. Good stuff.

* Jeremiah Critchon
    Nothing really to say about this that Peater didn't already say in his Schwarma. Other than we get a little exploration of the Hynerians. Despite their small stature, they clearly saw themselves, or at least fancied themselves, as galactic rulers, wanting to expand their influence across the galaxy much as the British Empire did for several centuries. Clearly they had very little regard for their non-Hynerian subjects, as the abandonment in this episode shows.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 6th 2018, 9:25 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Some beautiful development for D'Argo's character. D'Argo struck me early on as "The tough guy" but I'm seeing there is so much more to him, and I'm loving it.

I think for me the first memorable "deepening" moment for him was when he played his instrument for Pilot at the end of DNA Mad Scientist. Love D'Argo.

As the series goes on the two relationships I enjoy most in the show are the ones between John and Aeryn, and John and D'Argo.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 6th 2018, 4:42 pm

Paeter wrote:I think for me the first memorable "deepening" moment for him was when he played his instrument for Pilot at the end of DNA Mad Scientist. Love D'Argo.

Yes. The music instrument was probably the first moment for me too, although They've got a secret was pretty big for me.

Paeter wrote:As the series goes on the two relationships I enjoy most in the show are the ones between John and Aeryn, and John and D'Argo.
    I can see that. Those seem to be two of the most interesting relationships.

There's also some interesting stuff going on with John and Zahn. They have an emotional goodbye at the start of 'A Human Reaction', plus I like the moment I saw recently, where John basically tells her that he used to go to her for counsel, but no more, now that he knows she is just as broken as the rest of them.

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 6th 2018, 4:44 pm

* Durka Returns
    Further explores Rygel's turturous past. Some very satisfying moments when Rygel defies Durka and shows that despite all the torture, he has not been broken. Also introduces a new cast member. I'd read, years ago, that a young woman with light blue skin would join the shw down the track, but assumed she wouldn't appear until the start of season 2. Chiana seems an interesting character. Quite different to the others. Younger and care-free, and perhaps, a little bit insane? She actually makes the rest of the cast look like a crew of professionals. Really interested to see where they go with her.

* A Human Reaction
    Some touching moments as John says goodbye to the others at the start. I realised at this moment how close they've all become. After spending tall this time with them, John would absolutely miss them. Leaving would be hard. Fun to see Earth again. Chilling portrayal of how the human race would react to the arrival of aliens. I was really shaken when I saw Rygel dead, splayed out with guts oozing out. Wow. This is a whole new side to the Jim Henson company. I was shocked. Episode kept me guessing how they were gonna handle it. Would they pull out the old reset button? Would it all be revealed to be not what it seemed? I wondered briefly, if they would not pull a reversal, keep rygel dead, and have them all escape Earth back to Moya to continue their voyages. In the end, the reversal came. Star Trek and Stargate have both done these types of story, but each time I see one, the concept remains reasonably fresh. A standalone episode, but a good one. Classic science fiction.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 7th 2018, 10:24 am

AdamCollings wrote: Chiana seems an interesting character. Quite different to the others. Younger and care-free, and perhaps, a little bit insane? She actually makes the rest of the cast look like a crew of professionals.

Lol! Totally. Chiana is one of those characters that can be pretty annoying sometimes, and I feel like the Farscape writers do that on purpose. Zhaan and at least 3 more characters that will be a part of the rotating ensemble cast REALLY bugged me during my first viewing of the series, and yet also grew on me in some weird way. Probably because they bugged other characters, who gave voice to my own groaning. Never watched a show before or since that had characters I was both annoyed by and felt affection for at the same time.

AdamCollings wrote:
    * A Human Reaction
    A standalone episode, but a good one. Classic science fiction.

Not as standalone as you have every reason to think right now. Keep this episode in mind. It will be referred back to in a major, series-altering way before too long. Believe it or not, it's the beginning of what the whole show will be about from this point forward.

Enjoy!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 18th 2018, 4:26 pm

Well, I've finished season 1 and started season 2.
    I really enjoyed the concentrated arc that started with A Bug's Life and culminated in the first episode of season 2.
    Scorpio seems a bigger badder version of Crais, with better motivations. I like him so far, despite his somewhat silly name. Speaking of Crais, he's launched off in a new direction. Peater, you said give him time. He's already a much more interesting character. Looking forward to seeing where they take him now.

Rygel's actions at the start of Family Ties. Wow.

Moya's baby was interesting. Poor kid is so confused he makes some bad choices. I feel Moya's pain. Fascinating that the writers can get me to feel so much for the spaceship.

Overall impressions of season 1 are positive. This show had a strong first season and found it's place much quicker than most shows of its time. Farscape is not what I thought it was. I always thought of it as a cheesy silly cheap poor-man's-Star Trek. I've been surprised by the character depth the show has. Ironically, this became apparent the very next episode after I stopped watching it.

Season 2 has started off strong.
    Good conflict between John, D'Argo and Aeryn in episode 1. Both sides had very legitimate and reasonable motivations for the choices they made.
    I loved Aeryn's little speech to Zhan in the first episode. It all became too hard for Zhan, who decided to retreat into herself and spend the rest of her life chanting, ignoring her friends in need. "That seems really selfish to me," Aeryn said. This exchange reminded me of James 1:27.

Vitas Mortas was pretty heart-breaking at the end.

Taking the Stone was a bit weird. I found the drugged up kids annoying, but loved what seems the beginning of a father/daughter relationship between Critchon and Chianna. Given my first-born was a daughter, that's a type of relationship that means a lot to me.

Crackers Don't Matter gave the actors and writers a chance to take these characters to their extremes. Interesting that Rygel hasn't yet forgiven D'Argo, given they all forgave his betrayal in Family Ties.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 19th 2018, 10:21 am

If it helps his name seem less silly, it's actually "scorpius", not the famous horoscope sign "scorpio".

But either way, I can appreciate that impression. For me, his character quickly redefined whatever initially had come to mind when I first heard the name "Scorpius". It may not end up being the case for you, but he became, for me, the greatest villain in all of fiction. (Yes, that's setting the bar WAY too high for your expectations. So just forget I said that.)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 19th 2018, 8:13 pm

Yes. I realised my mistake when I was watching last night. Still not a great name, but I won't hold that against him.

Speaking of last night.

The Way We Weren't.

Wow.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 7th 2018, 6:12 am

I have now finished season 2. It was great. I am now getting a pretty good sense for the show. It a very serialised arc-based show, but somewhat uniquely, it is very character-focused and very small scale. While most serialised sci-fi stories have an epic scope that effects the entire galaxy, this is dialed right down. It's just about the people on this ship. (There is a hint of higher stakes that may have long-reaching effects if Scorpius is able to implement the wormhole technology, but that isn't the driving force).

Some highlights of season 2 for me.
    (obviously big spoilers, but I'm sure I'm the only one around here who hasn't seen it before)

The Way We Weren't
    A very powerful and deep story. We get to see these characters at their worst. We see the darker side that they'd rather not show. This episode had a big impact for me. It's when season 2 really took off for me.

Dream a Little Dream
    A fun flashback that happens between season 1 and 2. Powerful character story for Zhaan. I absolutely loved seeing Rygel and Chianna serve as defense attorneys. Nice to see Rygel save the day. Those two have a lot in common. I quite enjoy the Rygel / Chianna relationship.

Out of their Minds.
    Not a new idea by any means, but Farscape's take on the body-swapping sci-fi trope was well done and entertaining. It gave the actors a chance to really stretch themselves, and make us believe that they really were playing each other's characters.

Look at The Princess
    The first three-parter of the seaon. I liked the Scarran. He was one cool-looking alien. We finally understand why Scorpias looks the way he does. He's half Sebacean, half Scarran. At first I wasn't sure this story was deserving of a full three episodes, but the end of the trilogy was big. When Critchon doesn't want to be a statue for 80 years, but when he learns there is a child involved, created without his knowledge or consent, he immediately replies "plug me back in." I admired his comitment. He was a father. There was no question. He was selfeless. It was a suprisingly pro-life message for a secular story. When he learns he can't go back under, and that he will never meet his daughter, it hit me really hard. Then the computer showed him what his daughter will look like. I broke. Very moving. Very powerful. I really really hope this isn't the last we hear of this event. That little girl is going to be on Critchon's mind for the rest of his life.

Won't Get Fooled Again
    I like how they don't even try to fool us into thinking any of this is real. Been there, done that. Critchon's not buying it, and we're not expected to either. Bit of fun seeing the alien characters in real-world earth situations. We learn about the Scorpius chip in John's head. A cool development that will drive much of the rest of the season.

The Locket
    A cool sci-fi story. Felt kinda like Star Trek to me, which is always a pleasantly familiar flavour. The revelation of what is in the locket was cool.

A Clockwork Nebari.
    We learn more about Chiannas' people, and get a revelation about her brother. I feel this is a set-up for future develpment. The bit with Critchon's eye was seriously gross. I had to look away. Well done, but Gross. I'm not a fan of the body-horror stuff.

Liars, Guns and Money
    The quest for rescue D'Argo's son. And it's a heist story. They are always fun. The manager of the bank was a pretty cool-looking alien. And she has a thing with Scorpius. Eww. I loved seeing this plot thread come to a resolution, but spawn new plot threads. That was cool. Lots of unresolved stuff with D'Argo and Jothee.

Side-note. The D'Argo / Chianna relationship was ... odd. One minute they're establishing a bit of a father/daughter relationship with John and Chianna. Then D'Argo is sleeping with her. Is'nt she a bit young for him? I mean, I can understand he's longing for companionship, but, well, it felt a little icky to me. This leads into the season finale.

Die Me Ditchotomy
    Wow. A very powerful final episode. super emotional. Everything falling apart. The entire episode kept me guessing, who would leave the show and who would stay. I was taking nothing for granted. Interesting stuff with D'Argo, Chianna and Jothee. Didn't suprise me when Chianna and Jothee almost kissed. They seem a more likely couple. They're closer in age. But ... akward!
    Then it happened. My goodness. I screamed "Noooooo" at the TV. They weren't doing this. They couldn't. I felt Aeryn's end pretty strongly. I actually felt pretty cheated. They'd been building up, so so slowly toward toward a Chritchon / Aeryn relationship. They got so close. And now it's over before it even started. Heart-braking. But ... She's in one of those tubes. This is sci-fi, so who knows. Anything is possible.

And that final scene. Could things possibly be any worse? John laying there, with his skull open. His doctor dead. The chip in Scorpius's hands, and his speech centre all screwed up. No idea how the writers and gonne get him out of this predicament.

Possibly one of the best TV season end cliffhangers I've ever seen.

Great second season. Looking forward to season 3, which Paeter says is one of the best.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 16th 2018, 10:54 am

lol! Oh man, I'm laughing with glee that you're experiencing all this for the first time!

I don't dare say anything else but I look forward to your continuing thoughts!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 22nd 2018, 7:44 pm

LOL.

I'm well into season 3 now.
    Season of Death Part 2 resolved the cliffhanger pretty well.
    At first I thought the ressurection of Aeryn was way too easy and convenient. Then, they reveal the cost. I can accept this resurrection because (1) it had a cost, and (2) it isn't easily repeatable.
    Anyway, glad to see her back.

Suns & Lovers.
    Things comes to a head with D'argo, Chianna and Jothee. Powerful stuff.

Self-Inflicted Wounds was interesting. The clash of two groups who both want something good and worthwhile, but are at odds with each other. That's a good conflict because we don't have a villain so much, as an antagonist, who otherwise would not be considered bad.
    So we get the death of Zhan. While watching this happen, it was hard for me to imagine Farscape without Zhan. Back in the day, she was, "The face of Farscape" for me.
    Whenever an important character dies, I love seeing Rygel's reaction. Everything breaks away and we see he has a heard afterall.

The thing with Jool is interesting (until I looked up the episode list I assumed she was "Jewel"). The doctor thought that her species was related to humans. Very interesting. I'd really like to know why he thought that. This is an intruiging mystery.
    I'm sure I've seen the actress in something else. She may have been a rookie cop in the popular Aussie show Water Rats in the 90s. Just looked it up, and no, not who I thought. But Tammy MacinTosh has been in a LOT of Aussie TV.
    As for the character, I'm almost certain she is one of the characters that annoys Peater. She acts like a toddler, and that scream is gonna get old real quick.

Different Destinations.
    Turns the time-travel trope on it's head in quite a dark way. A sad episode, but unfortunately, the failure here is the more likely result if we were to mess with the past. Sometimes in life, despite our best intentions, we make a terrible mess of things, and others suffer for it. Ouch. Sobering and powerful episode.

Eat Me
    Bit of a weird one, but in fact really sets off the Season 3 arc. The reveal at the end that Critchon is still twinned is very very interesting.

Thanks for Sharing
    I like how they used the twinning to their advantage. Lots of twists and turns. Rebecca Gibney guest starred in this one. She's a pretty big deal.

Then we hit this bit where we alternate episodes between Talyn and Moya. Interesting device.
    I tend not to assess these as individual episodes. The Talyn arc is the most interesting to me, but fun seeing the antics of the Moya crew every second episode. They seem to be used mostly for comedic "oddball" episodes. Interesting, I kinda miss the crew of each ship when we're on the other. Good to see them all getting their screentime, though. It's mixing up the relationships a bit, which is cool.
    I'm really liking how they've developed the character of Crais. He's come far, from the cardboard villain of season 1.

Incubator
    Interesting to see Scorpius's childhood backstory. Wanted them to explain more about the funny black strips he wears on his head. But, it was really cool to see his cooling system developing. Early on, he had to carry around a box, like an air-conditioner, attached to the port on his head that would later hold the cooling rods.

Scratch n Sniff was weird. The whole fluid from the body thing was kinda odd. Fun though.

Infinite Possibilities.
    Whoa baby.
    The return of Magda Szubanski.
    Big arc stuff involving the ancients, and more 'epic scope' stuff than we usually see in Farscape.
    And that ending.
    The emotion. The acting. Wow.
    And it's all so weird, because there is still another Critchon. How will Aeryn deal with that? How will Critchon? Interesting.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 27th 2018, 7:16 am

Well. I have finished season 3. That was quite a ride.
    The whole split Critchon arc was really well done. It allowed for a very moving Critchton death that didn't have to be undone.

Then, once that is finally all over, we get the revelation that Critchon is going after Scorpius. This was great. In story-structure terms, this is the moment of transition, where the protagonist switches from being purely reactionary, to finally going on the offensive. This moment usually happens at the very centre of a novel. It's fitting that we are essentially at the mid-point of the planned 5 seasons. I had a big stand up and cheer moment when Crichton announced his plan, and his friends decided to stand with him.

Then the two-parter on the command carrier. Great episodes. This was especially epic for Farscape. A truly great moment.
    Crais sacrificing himself. Wow. The primary villain of season one is the hero of season three. I love that.
    The scrifice was heart-breaking, especially because it took Talyn as well. I found that Moya was a little too quick to accept Talyn's sacrifice. No parent could let their child sacrifice themself like that. Ultimately, I think I felt more sorrow over Talyn that even over Crais. This show makes me cry over a spaceship.

The final episode, A dog with Two Bones was interesting. I didn't understand this woman with three eyes. Who was she? Why is she suddenly on Moya. This was definately not explained well enough. I think I got the idea that she was a prisoner on the command carrier who was rescued by Moya. This definately needed more explanation (and much earlier in the episode).
    I love the idea that it Aeryn would stuggle to fit in on earth. She'd have to learn english. She could understand humans, but they wouldn't understand her, because they didn't have translator microbes.
    John realises that he's willing to give up Earth for Aryen. But she's still struggling with the other John's death.
    Then that revelation about Aeryn's condition, and the wormhole.
    Can't wait to start season 4 (which I'll do in just a minute).

But yes, Season 3 was fantastic.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 27th 2018, 8:22 am

So glad you enjoyed season 3! The twinning of Crichton, and how it allows for the lead actor to be killed without reversing it, and yet he still remains on the show... it remains the major reason I think of for people to watch this show because of what it makes possible dramatically. And yet I can't tell anyone about it!!!

For me, Crais closing his eyes and saying "Starburst" onboard Talyn is possibly the climax of the entire series. Such a fantastic moment on multiple levels.

That's not to say season 4 is bad. For me, it took some time get on its legs. I agree that the Old Woman should have been brought in more smoothly. And she, like Jool, was largely annoying to me. But unlike Jool, she has grown on me with multiple viewings.

Hope you enjoy! And when you reach the end of Season 4, just take a moment before putting in the mini-series and think of me, and the fact that I had to wait about TWO... YEARS... before getting resolution.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 29th 2018, 6:46 pm

Paeter wrote:For me, Crais closing his eyes and saying "Starburst" onboard Talyn is possibly the climax of the entire series. Such a fantastic moment on multiple levels.

I can well imagine. Even as I was watching it, it felt that way for me too.

Paeter wrote:And when you reach the end of Season 4, just take a moment before putting in the mini-series and think of me, and the fact that I had to wait about TWO... YEARS... before getting resolution.
    I'll have a moment of silence to contemplate that very thing. Wink
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 29th 2018, 7:03 pm

The first few episodes of season 4 seem to be sharing something in common with "Dog with two bones." Insufficient exposition. Examples include:
    * Chianna and Rygel mysteriously appearing half way through episode 1. Aren't they supposed to be on Moya?
    * The elderly pilot knows of a planet where Moya has supposedly gone. Huh?
    * D'Argo and Jool are at an archeological dig with Jool's people (that's noteworthy, but not noted) Seems Critchton expected to find them there for some reason.
    * Moya is nowhere to be seen. Apparently, she was here before, but is not now, but is coming back??????????
    * "Previously on Farscape" shows a scene where a peacekeeper says "You no longer have a ship to command" to Scorpius. This was not in the previous epsiode, and I'm almost certain it wasn't in the last 2 episodes of season 3 either.
    * One minute Grandma is in a jail cell. Then she's outside with Critchon. Then she's back in the cell again.
    * Grandma throws Wynona into the sea. Critchton jumps in after it. Does he really expect to be able to find it?
    * How exactly did Rygel survive the dying leviathan crashing into the building?

Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe subletly is lost in me, but I'm feeling very lost in these stories, in a way I never have been in the last 3 seasons.
    I still need to see the last 5 minutes of this 2-parter, so maybe that explains everything.

Despite all this, there are some things I love in these episodes:

* Seeing the elderly leviathan and its pilot
    * They built a whole new pilot, rather than re-using the main pilot puppet as they have in the past
    * Archeology stories are cool.
    * The Scorpius stuff is really powerful. Yes, I actually feel sympathy for him. I think John does too.
    * The artefact with the Egyptian symbol on it. Oooooh. Intriguing.
    * The hint that we will be exploring the mysterious link between humans, sebaceans and Jool's people. Cool!
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 30th 2018, 2:05 am

I'm listening to Farscape Shawarma, and I think I've just had a brainwave about Stark. Specifically, why he doesn't annoy me like he does you, Paeter.
    It seems pretty clear to me that Stark has some pretty severe mental illness. I assume this has come about because of his time in the Aurora Chair, not to mention the recent genocide of his people at the hands of Scorpius.
    This would be why he chants things when he gets stressed like "friend or foe" and "my side / your side". This is kinda like a more extreme version of the types of anxieties my exhibits because of his autism.

You mentioned that he's always either sickly happy, or annoyingly panicked. This sounds a lot, to my completely amateur mind, like the symptoms of bi-polar. People who suffer from this condition are either manic (really up) or depressive (really down).

I wouldn't be surprised if Stark has bi-polar as well as some kind of anxiety disorder. (and who could blame him)

I'm not trying to sound like I know anything about this stuff, but my wife is a nurse in a mental health ward, so I've probably learned a little from her. That, plus my experience with raising an autistic child, I guess, makes all of this a lot less weird.

I'm not saying Stark isn't annoying. (I still get very annoyed by my son's behaviours sometimes, and have to check my heart and remind myself that it's not his fault) but I think this understanding gives me some compassion for Stark. He is a broken and unwell man. He definitely brings melodrama, but I think there's a reason behind it. It's not just that he has an annoying personality.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this.

Do you see Stark as having mental illness?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is June 21st 2018, 1:48 am